1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by T-Ball, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Ball

T-Ball TS Member

I was wondering on an O/U which barrel is the best to use for trap

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The one that shoots at least a little high and straight, right-to-left. Check it out up close, off a rest, many shots and go from there.

Neil

3. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Lower barrel will reduce gun rise and felt recoil,

Pete

4. joannl030

joannl030 Member

I shot the lower barrel of my o/u for years and did well. When I left the sport for 11 years and decided to get back into it, I bought a new o/u. My scores with my lower barrel ranged from 11 to 24. One night during a league shoot, I shot a 16 with my lower, one of the guys suggested I try the upper barrel as I had nothing more to lose. The birds looked as if I was right on them and I was getting very discouraged as I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong with the lower. I tried the upper, and came back with a 24.
    I spoke to Phil Kiner in regards to this and he said that some guns just shoot better for you using the upper barrel.
    Since I have been using the upper barrel solely, I have had two 49's in league and a 48. Not too bad for just getting back into the sport.
    My only advice would be to try both and see which works better for you. Good shooting!
    Jo Ann

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's a good idea to check POI of both barrels to if they're both shooting to the same place. If the gun has choke tubes sometimes the problem can be a misalined choke tube in one barrel.

Eric

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jo Ann,

It might be a good idea to test fire your gun on paper and see if both barrels have the same point of impact. It might help you figure out why you shoot good with the top barrel and have trouble with the lower barrel. HMB

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

For some strange reason, every over/under I've had shot better for me with the top barrel. I'm sure it is just me and maybe has something to do with the 37 years of shooting an 870 TB....the barrel right under my eye gives me more confidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.