1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which barrel to use on a O/U for trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bob radasch, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

when using an O/U for trap - does it make a difference what barrel to use???? I shot today with a new citori XT trap. Used either a mod or IM choke- tried changing chokes between barrels. I could have sworn I was hitting the targets better with lower barell regardless of choke- could just be me and the way I hold gun. Any known data out there if its better to use one barrel or te other.

Bob

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a Citori and both barrels had about the same POI but you have to pattern your gun from a rest to know for sure if both barrels do in fact shoot to the same place.

3. starship

starship TS Member

I have an XT trap and on the pattern board the top barrel actually shoots just a bit higher than the bottome barrel. I find the I am more consistent when shooting the top barrel.

I can't tell any difference in recoil between either barrel.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If you patterned your barrels and know they both shoot same POI then it shouldn't matter. I suspect that you haven't and that the bottom barrel shoots a higher POI and thus the reason you seem to hit them better.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The usual mantra on this subject is to use the lower barrel for the first shot of doubles (or any 2 shots allowed game) since it's mounted lower on the gun and will create less muzzle rise and felt recoil. I've had O/Us that nearly always seem to shoot better for me on single bird events with the lower barrel and I stick with it. You'll need to test drive your gun and decide yourself which seems to be most agreeable with your technique. Of course, patterning the gun may prove one barrel shoots higher than the other or you might find one shoots off center to left or right which should never happen. Use the one that produces the best scores will always work.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.