1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHICH BARREL-DOES IT MATTER

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Does it matter which barrel you shoot singles or Handicap with when shooting an over&under when the gun has choke tubes. I was told to shoot the botom bbl. but with tubes I can't see where it matters. Thanks for any help.
    Carey

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

most over and unders are set up so the bottom barrel shoots higher than the top barrel. the bottom barrel will normally kick less than the top barrel. i once had an skb 500 trap o/u, could not hit doubles targets shooting the bottom barrel first. so i switched it, shot the top barrel first on doubles and my scores greatly improved. shoot whatever barrel breaks more targets and feels more comfortable to you when shooting.
    steve balistreri

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Shooting the bottom barrel-vs-the top should give less felt recoil as the bottom barrel is in more of a straight line to your shoulder. It's up to you to see if it makes a difference for you.

Eric

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Leo Harrison shoots the top barrel for singles.....

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The is no reason you have to shoot the bottom tube for the single or HC targets but most people do it that way because that barrel hits where they want or there is less perceived recoil. Why not do an experiment where you shoot a round of 25 with the top then a round of 25 with the bottom using the same choke and compare the scores? If there is a noticable difference in the scores or you just like one tube better than the other then go with what seems to work best for you.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

The widely believed perceived recoil between the two barrels is most likely a myth. The lines of force are within one inch of each other and the force that goes to your shoulder/face is transmitted by the stock, not the barrels.

Pat Ireland

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Big guys like Leo could probably shoot a 105mm pack howitzer from their shoulder and not feel it.

Eric

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Carey,

"Does it matter which barrel you shoot singles or Handicap with when shooting an over&under when the gun has choke tubes."

Simple answer. Shoot whichever one you want.

I've heard the old saying that the bottom barrel has less perceived recoil, or that it has less muzzle jump than the top barrel, but if it does, I can't tell.

Unless you have a Krieghoff, or some gun that allows you to adjust the POI separately for the two different barrels, both barrels "SHOULD" come from the factory with the same POI.

But what senior smoke said in his last sentence is true; "shoot whatever barrel breaks more targets and feels more comfortable to you when shooting."

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Doesn't apply to American Trap b ut in International Trap you must declare to the referee before the round if you intend to shoot the top barrel first - it is assumed to be bottom barrel first.

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

It is a personal preference, but for me I have a more open choke in the top barrel and use it with light loads for singles; a tighter choke in the bottom barrel for handicap for 2 reasons indicated by others above: 1. heavier load for handicap recoils more directly in the bottom barrel with less felt recoil and 2. bottom barrel seems to shoot a little higher. For doubles, I put an open choke (I.C.) in the bottom barrel and fire it first. Trying to make it simple. Best Regards, Ed

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I believe Leo shoots a Beretta DT-10 topsingle for 'caps...

TrapWife has stated on here that Leo shoots the top barrel of his o/u for singles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.