1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which anti-virus program??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by starship, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

AVG 7.5 is no longer supported. Hence I need to update to 8.0

Before I pay for another license I thought I'd as the computer gurus here what are you using or suggest for anti-virus and spam blocking???

I have a desktop and a laptop that will both need protection.

Chuck

2. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I use McAfee Security Center, plus Windows Defender and Firewall. I have not infections and have been clean for over two years. This blocks spyware and adware too. You have to pay for it and you usually get what you pay for, I think that goes without saying in this crowd. AVG is a decent product and the new one is good. My boss uses it and we run an IT Security Firm.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Norton AntiVirus 2009. Do not waste your money on Norton Internet Security or Norton 360. They offer very little additional protection and they are slow to boot. Norton 360 buggs you constantly about buying additional storage space.

Jim Skeel

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

AVG is very good - there is a free version which is passable.

I strongly recommend that you do NOT use Norton's - it's just too top heavy and will slow down almost any machine.

A bit the same for McAfee.

I like Glary Utilities (general machine maintenance, spyware, etc.) - free. Run this when you want to check for spyware & malware.

and

Blink from e-eye (eeye.com) - you will need to give an e-mail address to receive a user key for Blink, but it works not from a list of known viruses, but as a process monitor. As your computer works it watches what is going on, if it sees a process which is unexpected it will notify you of this (malware, spyware, and viruses all do this).

It does contain a general virus scanner as well, and running this manually every so often is a good idea.

Both of these are free and I think they will do what you are after without slowing your machine.

David D

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use Sophos Small Business Edition. I've tried them all, and this is the best. The usual minimum license is 5 seats, but you can now buy two or more from one of their distributors. Download and try for 30 days. You won't even know it is running after bootup. It DOES NOT bug you with cryptic messages. It just plain works.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have Mcafee and will do something different when it expires. I had Norton and never again. I have also used Kaspersky and it was ok

7. Jamesquinn

Jamesquinn TS Member

Windows firewall plus Avira's free version should be everything you need.

8. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Do not waste your time on any Norton consumer products. They have a reputation for inefficiency and the Symentec support department has recently converted to a high pressure sales force: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342634,00.asp.

Avast Antivirus is one of the more effective A/V apps available now, free or otherwise. The Comodo firewall is no-cost and about as effective as it can get without paying, although it does require some attention and permissions as it is learning your system. You'll also want to get into the habit of switching it to "Installation Mode" to download and install software and then switch it back afterwards.

Carol Lister

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

All I use is Windows Live One Care for 25 per year. It has done a great job for me.

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I use Norton, been using it for years, never had a virus or anything else, but still I wouldn't recommend it. It takes over the damn computer.

Norton - the cure is worst than the disease.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

wireguy I just purchased it also. They offer a free 90 day trial and it protects 3 computers. Although I paid $50 for the one I bought a month ago. t even backs up your files automatically.

Bob Lawless

12. BERETTASP

BERETTASP TS Member

I would use kaspersky antivirus or Norton 2009.. they are the best and most user friendly. AVG at grisoft.com is decent if you don't want to pay for the protection... trust me, I work on enough pc's to know that paying 50 or 60 bucks for an antivirus program is allot cheaper than taking it in to get it cleaned off.. Although that is what keeps a little cash flow coming in for me..LOL

13. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Try Avast
    dave

14. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have used Norton System Works now for several years (Like over 8 years) with no problems i.e. No virus.

I have the Norton on my Desk Top computer, but I have McAfee on my Lap Top (McAfee came with it). I haven't had any problems with McAfee in the about 4 years that I have had the lap top.

I think an important thing to remember, irregardles what you use, is to keep it up dated! Both the Norton and the McAfee have automatic updates and I have noticed that the updates take place regularly (and I manually update as well).

Allen

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    AVG Free combined with using Firefox with java and javascript turned off instead of Internet Explorer.<br>
    <br>
    And for the ultimate in bulletproof systems, I'm setting up a machine with Ubuntu Linux with Firefox for Linux. Eventually this will be my main Internet machine.

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I use McAfee. Get it for cheap using my TXU electric rewards. Using it for 3+ years now.

Had free AVG before and got infected. Ray

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Avast Free for Antivirus and Comodo installed as a firewall ONLY, with no extra security options, otherwise it will bug you relentlessly with popups.

18. jmas

jmas TS Member

This site from PC World (this month's issue) can give you some insight.

jmas

19. jmas

jmas TS Member

P. S.

Norton 360 allows up to three installs with each subscription

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I used Norton for years until their 2003 Internet Security package blocked the installation of their 2004 version. After seven hours (off and on) of telephone support, the technician finally told me to delete everything with Norton or Symantic in its name from my computer and try the install again. When it still wouldn't load, he wished me luck and left me with an unprotected computer. At the suggestion of a co-worker, I downloaded AVG.

Things went well - no infections, anyway - for four years, so last September, I subscribed for two years instead of the usual one year. One month later, my computer was infected with a spyware Trojan Horse. It took several days of exchanging emails - AVG does not have telephone support - to finally get rid of it. The tech told me that I was their first user to encounter it, which I accepted as being plausible.

Then two weeks ago, another spyware Trojan Horse moved in. The tech kept sending me emails telling me to download and run some software from Microsoft's site and email the seven files it would create to AVG. Ten days, nine email exchanges and a missed magazine deadline later, I still could not find two of the files and mentioned my problem to our company's IT guy. He chuckled and told me to go to malwarebytes.com and download their free antimalware software. The download took less than a minute over my FIOS connection, a scan of the computer took about 40 minutes and the cure of 29 infections took five seconds.

Now I'm receiving client satisfaction surveys from AVG via email. I returned them and in the comments section, asked for a refund of my unused subscription. I've heard nothing back and since they have no phone number listed on their website, I guess I'm beating a dead horse. Or should that be Trojan Horse?

Having been infected twice in six months, I feel that AVG is ineffective. I also feel their support leaves a lot to be desired.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.