1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Airline??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My daughter is going to the Olympic training camp in Colorado Springs this May, Which airline is best to use as far as carrying your gun with you? Also what is the procedure to go through when checking your gun? thanks!

2. C-Money

C-Money Member

I used to fly Northwest, they were easy to deal with. Northwest is now Delta, maybe give them try? I flew back to Pennsylvania for the deer opener with my rifle on Delta two years ago, no problems. Good luck!

3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

My sister works for the TSA cargo people. You might want to check with them about how to package her weapon.

Chuck

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I fly from Vegas to Colorado Springs with a gun and no problems. I know people who have used Allegiant and Frontier into the Springs.

Just a hard case that you can lock. You have to check in inside and not curbside with a gun and tell them at the counter that you have a gun to declare. Open up the case and let them look at at. They will give you a card to fill out and then leave the card in the case. Then close and lock the case. Pretty simple and do not worry. You might consider flying to Denver as it is only about an hour and 15 minute drive to the Springs.

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I have found it helpful in past travels to copy the TSA page on firearms on airlines and have it laying on top of the gun in its case.

6. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

Trim Tab has it right.
    Just flew from Hartford to Tampa for the Southern Grand and flew Southwest. Very easy no hassels at all.
    A bit wierd though to see a Perrazzi gun case traveling on the luggage conveyor where you pick it up and walk around an airport with it in hand.

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Southwest is our only, we just do not go where Southwest does not fly. Have flown with handguns three times in the last four years and it was easy. Each airport has its own way of doing things.

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

TSA rules,,,,,I have flown AA, Southwest, Northwest and Frontier,,,,,,none of them batted an eye,,,,,although the agent in Sacremento really looked me up and down.....

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

thanks!!

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Check with the AIRLINE she might fly.

While all will require the above mentioned lockable case, proof that firearm is unloaded, signed card inside, NOT all will carry a firearm, and different airlines interpret the rules differently.

Go to their web site and search for 'firearm.'

It would be better if she were on a direct flight, but as long as she remains on the same airline she will be fine.

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have been to Colorado Springs with a Shotgun a number of times. Delta and Continental mostly. Lately i have been going through Denver so that i can fly Southwest as I believe its the most gun friendly airline.

Read the TSA instructions and be polite to the gate agent. I also buy the extra baggage insurance as it puts an extra notice on the airline that they will be on the hook for the gun if it grown legs.

I would avoid Frontier as thats where Bret Erickson's Gun got stolen on the way back from Colorado Springs. He got it back about 6 weeks late.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.