1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which airline more gun friendly - United or Delta

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hooked, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooked

Hooked Member

Hi all,

I'm thinking about making a trip down to see Dennis DeVault sometime next spring to have a stock made. I'll be travelling from Vancouver, BC and the only two airlines flying to Canton are United and Delta. Which is a more gun friendly airline?

The air travel is probably the most stressful part of figuring out the logistics for this trip as the flight will be between 7 and 13 hours long depending on the connections. There will be at least two stops regardless of which airline I choose. The most likely flight will involve stops in Seattle and Detroit Metro Wayne.

Any input, comments or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

Brian
    I have flown both out of Clagary. Delta seemed a bit more confused.
    But I am flying Delta to the Grand so I guess it wasn't so bad.

Shawn

3. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

I have done Norfolk VA to Seattle numerous time via Delta with a gun and no problems -remember gun will not appear with ordinary baggage but will be in a "special baggage" room ( by name whatever)

That having been said I had a tiff with Delta in June regarding a schedule change I wanted - extra $350 fee

I have sworn to never fly Delta again - now using Southwest and rather like their "open seating" system -if played correctly by going on their website exactly 24 hours in advance I have been able to get a seat with good legroom -usually by the over-wing emergency exit

Have a good trip!!

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Just be careful if the Pilot has a beard and his laundry on his head, then cancel and take another flight on any other airline ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Flown both and no problems. People that fly and have gun issues in many cases create them temselves. Tell the agent at the counter you have a weapon, open it and let them inspect it, fill out the card and place it in the case, lock it and you will be good to go.

6. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I have flown with firearms on both Delta & United as well as most all other domestic airlines as well as numerous international airlines.

Traveling in the states or between the states and Canada is pretty easy. It seems to vary a little bit by origination airport and destination airport. They all have individual "quirks" if you will regarding how firearms are handled. None, however, will go out of the way to be gentle with your gun case. Always know it will sustain rough treatment regardless of carrier.

7. olympicshooter

olympicshooter Member

DO NOT FLY DELTA.....

About a year ago I was flying on Delta, and they lost my Perazzi during the layover. When I finally received my gun, I wanted to cry it was so messed up. There was a huge ding in the right side of the stock, scratches and nicks all on the receiver, forearm had many small nicks in it as well. The worst was the barrel. Dings all up and down the rib. Muzzle was dented to the point that the fixed chokes were affected. I had parts missing out of my spare kit as well. Locks were torn off of the case, and when i received the case it was held closed by duck tape. All of this indicated that the locks were torn off and then when opened the gun was dropped and my poor Perazzi was severely damaged. Boils my blood just thinking about it.

8. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Doc is right! Gun is just another piece of luggage. Need a good case.

9. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

10. mooney

mooney Member

Every time I have flown with my gun I have flown Delta. In the South they say you can't go to hell without going to Atlanta first and that is Delta's home. I have an old Nasco case that is built like a tank,however, I make sure everything is packed with bubble wrap. When you take the gun up to the ticket counter, show it to them and insure it for as much as you can. I believe the maximum amount is 5k. They will put a big white sticke on it that reads CAGPT. This stands for "carry aboard give protection to". It will be placed in security's hands, hand carried to the secure area of the baggage room and hand carried by security to the aircraft. You will have to pick it up at the security area of your final destination. I am told that it is treated like this at every layover. I have never had any problems whatsoever with damage or theft.

Mooney Glenn Wedding

11. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I have found it helpful to copy the TSA regs about traveling with firearms and have it laying on the gun inside the case. Last time I flew with my shotgun the TSA agent opened the case looked at me and commented," how nice, someone who actually read the regs". We got along fine.

12. cafowler

cafowler Member

I would fly United, I think they have much more flexibility and options should your flight be delayed/cancelled going either way.

The only negative I've heard of Delta has more to do with their hub, Atlanta Hartsfeild Airport. If for some unknown reason, you end up being diverted thru their, due to whatever reason, the area to pick-up a firearm is currently off-site of the airport. I've heard of a story of someone missing a connecting flight, because they had to catch a cab for a 1/2 hour to this off-site office to collect their gun, wait to get it, then take the cab back to the terminal. This was over an hour, and long enough they missed a flight. Their comment was never again with Delta. I think this involved returning to the US on an international flight.

I've flown thru Seattle and Denver with my gun, never any problems. I suspect you'll be on an International flight from Vancouver to Seattle, and have to claim your luggage, go thru customs, then re-check it on a domestic flight from Seattle on. Be sure you keep your key to the gun case with you on the plane, just in case your other checked bags get seperated or arrive late. You'll want to make sure you can open the case in Seattle again when you check in for he Domestic leg.

Hope this helps.

13. Hooked

Hooked Member

Thanks for the information and comments everyone. It is much appreciated. While I have travelled to the US with guns before, it has always been by car. This will be my first time flying south.

Best regards,

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

friendly airlines for guns