1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Air rifle?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Having problems with ground squirrels. I don't need a $500 outfit. I'll be shooting them 30 ft to 100ft from my deck. A lot of the package guns come with scopes which is good, but the scope needs to be of decent quality.

Is there one that stands out? Looking at Gamo, Benjamin, Crossman etc. Ruger and Browning make them as well.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you can find a Feinwerkbau 124 go for it. I bought mine used for $150. I put a Beeman 4x scope on it. It has accounted for many ground squirrels. I really like the two stage trigger.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

3. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Jim, do you know of a source of service for the Feinwerkbau line of air rifles? I have an old one that needs to be serviced.

Charlie

4. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Rosie, I have a Gamo that will drive tacks. Purchased from Cabela's as a package. When I got the gun it would not shoot a group within the size of a basketball. I tried numerous type of pellets etc. Finally sent it pack to the factory. I have no idea what they done, but sent me a partial can of pellets back with the gun. It will shoot a group of five with a dime. I used it to hunt fox squirrel last year on days when it was not real windy. It will knock them right out of a tree. Check out AIRGUNWAREHOUSE web site. They have a ton of stuff to review.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

One of the used ones from the Chinese OLYMPIC team would be cool!

I have the YEN for one....

Well really, I don't!

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Be sure to get either the .20 or .22 cal. I would look into the Sheridan....very accurate, quiet, plenty of power and reasonably priced.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Spend a little money and get a Beeman R9 in .20 CAL. Extremely accurate and kills nice. Easy cocking too.

Don't tell that to the Beeman R-1 and RX-2 I also own!!

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I shot a Ruger, it was as noisy as a 22 rimfire.

9. folothru

folothru Member

there is a website called airgunsofarizona go there and watch video and if you need to call them. someone with knowledge will talk to this is an actual store not an online importer . and they will fix your airgun if it is broken. my personal gun is a RWS in 22 cal springer 950 fps / 50 yd gun . kills groundhogs also

10. arend003

arend003 Member

I have a RWS 350M in .17 with a scope very nice gun but not quiet or light... a heavy gun

11. jwells

jwells Member

rws 48 22 cal. takes care of anything. found mine on craigslist.

12. ORG

ORG Member

charleyj10, try this guy for your Feinwerkbau. B&B Supply in Minneapolis (612) 724-5230. Website b-bsupply.com. I have a Feinwerkbau 124, and after 30 years, the piston seal went out. Gary says they last about 28 years, and he fixed it in 2 days. He's been around 44 years, and knows air rifles. Give him a call, I highly recommend him.

13. Erik W

Erik W Member

Another vote for a Beeman .20cal. Mine is a R7. As with most guns, need to buy a few tins of different pellets to find which gun likes best. Mine likes Beeman FTS Double Gold. Add a trigger shoe and decent scope made for airguns and you are in business.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I shoot a Sheridan 5 mm for backyard stuff. Decent gun with plenty of power but I don't know that you could put a scope on it. At 100 ft and less I can hit most any rodent so a ground squirrel shouldn't be a problem. You can get into one of these for around $125.

15. willing

willing Member

What do you recommend in a pump-up type. I would like to kill squirells and pop a few dear in the rear without doing any harm(?) ?

Bill

16. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Sight one of your .22LR's in with some CB longs or Winchester sub sonics and save your air gun money. You won't be happy with a cheap one and you can buy alot of special ammo for what a cheap air rifle will cost.

The sub sonic or cb's are quieter than most airguns and accurate enough for 30 to 100 foot work and I'm sure you have at least 1 decent shooting long rifle shooter to use.

Am I right?

OB

17. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I've got an vintage German made barrel cock style 177 pellet gun. I never use it. I rebuilt it a while back with a new spring, and now it's as powerful as a 22. Just too much for shooting anywhere around my house. Would draw too much attention, and I'd worry about a ricochet. I use a small box trap and relocate varmints on my property. Though if you have the space to shoot, and your neighbors are not tree huggers, a pellet gun with over 800fps would do the job. Lots to choose from. Good luck figuring it out. Try searching reviews, or google for air rifle websites to get a better idea of which are quality made.

18. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Any comments good or bad about the Benjamin/Crosman "Nitro Piston" air rifles?

19. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I have a RWS Diana model 48/52 that I would sale. I know nothing about air rifles and have never shot this one. It has a side cocking lever and the piece that protrudes from the chamber piston is broke. The side lever attaches to that piece in order to be able to cock. Other than that the gun is in good condition. I have no idea what it is worth but would sale worth the money to someone who wants it. If anyone is interested let me know and I can try to post pics. Thanks

20. johnboy

johnboy Member

I agree with Ohio Bob. CCI CB longs are very quiet in a 22 rifle. If you have a 22 rim fire I would try the CBs
    before buying a pellet gun. I found they work fine in a Remington bolt but will not cycle an auto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beeman r9 craigslist