1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which 9mm ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Any thoughts about which 9mm to buy? Glock, Springfield Armory XD, S&W M&P, Kel-Tec? Glock is proven - 70 -80% of police issue them; XD are innovative with 4 safetys...just enough to go wrong; S&W M&P feel best in my big hand and trigger system is good; Kel-Tec is cheapest - small but is the 9mm manageable in this small system. Lots of experts on TS.com. Any comments appreciated. Best Regards, Ed

2. whos your daddy

whos your daddy TS Member

I have two Glock 9 mm/ a model 26 and a model 17. Both have night sites. I also have a Beretta model 92. I love all three guns but when on an outing I almost always take the small model 26/ very light holds 11 rds and you can add the finger grip to the mag and it makes it a real nice shooter. 110 % reliable.

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Consider the Beretta/Stoeger Cougar. A great gun. The back strap is a little different and it fits my hand like a glove. The Beretta 92f is a proven gun if you can deal with the size.

JON

4. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

It really depends on you're intend use. As a carry gun any of the three composit guns are dependable and very practical. Personally I'd shoot all three and decide which trigger you like the best. If you are primarily a target shooter, and intend that the gun will be otherwise used for home protection, I'd suggest a springfield 1911 in 9mm. The gun is a proven design,easy to shoot and very accurate. If you want a very small gun the Keltec is concealable, but you'll find that their .380 or .32 cal is much more controlable, while still big enough to get someone's attention. You might also look at a Kahr 9mm, which is a little bigger than a Keltec, but still concealable, has less recoil due to it's design, and is very accurate.

The first three guns are the cheapest 400 to 500. The Keltec is about 230 and the Kahr about 400. Springfield is about 800.

5. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

You didn't say what you will use it for. If you want a plinker, I think any 9mm will do.

If your life will depend on what you have and you want a reliable, proven 9mm get a Glock 17 or the H&K USP in 9mm. The biggest difference is price. I own both and keep the Glock as a home defense weapon. The H&K I use for competitive shooting.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Thanks for all the comments. Intended use is home defense and, rarely, concealed carry..although I have another .38 revolver for this. The instructor in my concealed carry emphasized the Glock. Trying to shoot before buying is the next step. Other comments? Thanks, Ed

7. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I have a Kel-Tec 9mm P-11. Zero problems with it, except a couple of failure to feeds when other people shot it with a limp wrist. This gun is best used for concealed carry, though. The long and difficult trigger pull makes accuracy elusive, at least for me. And it's small size with the 9mm means it's not really pleasant to shoot for target practice. It's very easy to conceal and carry, even fitting into a pocket.

I have a Springfield GI .45, and it's a pleasure to shoot. This type gun in a 9mm should be very good for home defense and targets. Hard to conceal.

In fact, I would advise that you shoot a 1911 before you buy. For home defense, it's a good gun in .45 or 9mm.

Danny

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

i dont know your instructor but would not trust him a simi auto is not for personal protection unless you are WELL trained a glock is a fine gun if you are going to shoot factory ammo and dont care about accuratecy sig is one of the easiest to take down if you get a sig in 40 cal can change barrels to 357sig and also 9mm and they are accurate for protection get wheel gun i am an instructor and i carry a S&W 337 ricks1

9. Josephdog

Josephdog TS Member

I see that George at Gunslingers (Milford, MI, 248.866.5105) has the following coming in soon:

1 Nighthawk Custom Dominator - 9mm!
    1 Nighthawk Custom Talon-Black - 9mm - Heinie Straight 8
    1 Nighthawk Custom Talon II-Black-9mm - Heinie Straight 8

Can't do better.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

I carry a Kahr most of the time. I love it.

I have owned quite a few 9's. The CZ is a great gun, Beretta 92 is OK.

Don

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Browning Hi-power or S&W. Every Glock I've had jamed if I shot to fast.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Glock 17 ... When only the best will do, you can bet your life on it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. bwhited

bwhited TS Member

Have owned several Glocks and they work great.
    Have a lot of experiance with XD and they are even better.
    Have been hearing much about the M&P and am very interested. Everyone I know that has one absolutely loves it!

14. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Currently own three Glock 9mm, couldn't be happier and one of the 19's has over 10,000 rounds without ONE malfunction. I owned one of the XD's in 45acp for about two weeks and hated it--that done me in for ANY future XD's. Like the M & P and will probably be buying the compact model for my wife soon as I hate to admit it feels better in the hand and hers too than the Glock.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Shoot as many as you can, you will find one that sits in your hands naturally raises to tarket smoothly and most of all hits your target. For down right reliabilty a good 38 revolver with a back up revolver then a back up semi with high capacity becouse if conflict isnt resovled after a shoot out of the revolver sounds like you in a fire fight where mass lead down range is needed. My personal choice for home defense 870 loaded with a variety of loads and shortest barrel allowed by law. The S&W 38+p hammerless revolver is a great gun. Then practice at short range As if you where in your home defending it.

16. mt

mt Member

I love shooting pistol....as in trapshooting, fit and quality really do make a difference as does the application.

That said, of the choices you noted I really enjoy the S&W. It fit my hand well and is quite competitively priced. budsgunshop.com has a fantastic sale going on right now, you might check them out.

Prior to the introduction of the S&W i would have suggested the XD. They have a nice ket that includes a mag pouch and holster.

I shoot mostly defence and ipsc/idpa type exercises so we all play with out guns abit and depending on the particular class you participate in things can either stay pretty cheap or get very expensive....but its great fun.

Sig is another terrific company to consider....lots of choices. goood luck

17. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

The Browning High Power with a couple of 22 round magazines for back up. Get adjustable sights and if possible night sights. I took out the piece where a magazine must be in the gun to be fired. Just my opinion. Some new ammunition from at least two companies will be forth coming in the next year. Michael

18. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I like the Beretta PX4 as it fits my hand the best, although mine is in .40.

19. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Thanks very much to all who have responded so far...your experience is very helpful. I have about ruled out a Kel-Tec for the reasons cited by Danny; had not thought about a Browning HiPower...a friend has one and likes it alot. Again, your comments are appreciated. Best Regards, Ed

20. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Glocks are a pain to try to conceal. Way too thick. If you feel like you have to have a 9mm I'd recommend the Browning Hi-Power. I carry a Hi-Power in .40 S&W sometimes. Most of the time I carry a Kimber in .45, which is a heckuva lot easier to conceal than a Glock.

hubcap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.