1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which 870 Trap is the best

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dale in Va, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale in Va

Dale in Va TS Member

Which 870 trap is better or more sault after? Im looking to get one and tring to figure out which model/year to be looking for. Thanks Dale

2. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I have two, one a build up, the other an older big bore TC, I like the TC the best because of the recoil reduction but it is only a single shot,

Jack West stocks are hard to beat, will let you play with fit and point of impact a little.

Both are target killers.

Break em all and good luck.

For the record I own a MX 3 Special Perazzi combo but I still drag out the 870's from time to time.

Rick

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rick, TCs weren't single-shot - Competitions were.

Ed

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Older TA, TB and TC 870's are priced in the $350 - $600 range depending on condition. These guns are good shooters, are easily repaired and parts are easy to obtain.

The 870 All American trap is very sought after and is priced in the $1000 and up range. It has hand cut checkering, high grade wood and lots of engraving. I believe that it also has a specially honed standard barrel.

The 870 Competition and 870 TC Trap have have cut checkering and some have exceptional wood. Also, the 870 Comp and the 870 TC Trap have a distinctive long fore-end that is a pleasure to look at and shoot.

The 870 Competition (single shot with gas system) has a specially honed over bored fixed full choke barrel. It is much sought after by "games" shooters. It is often priced $600 and up depending on condition.

A nice 870 TB 30" fixed full is an excellent starter 870. I would try and find one in unaltered condition.

Of course, there are a number of special Remington Gun Shop examples with gold inlays, engraving, etc. but these are more collector items than shooters.

An 870 TB trap has stock dimensions that fit a lot of typical shooters. Once you get one, you can modify it to your personal requirements.

IMO, you can buy a nice used 870 TB, shoot it for a while and sell it for what you paid for it.

Ed Ward

5. Dale in Va

Dale in Va TS Member

Are the step rib overbore barrels the best ones?

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Dale:

It depends ...

I have 3 of the step rib/choke tube variety and several of the standard rib/fixed choke tube variety. I prefer a circa 1980 standard rib 30" fixed full over the step rib barrels for ATA as it patterns light 8's very well.

The only thing that really matters in a trap gun is that you have confidence in it, it fits you well and the recoil is manageable. I have a 6 oz. Staub mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock of an 870 TC trap (1987 model) and a 4-way adjustable comb. I stay away from 3 dram ammunition except for games and shoot mostly 1 1/8 oz of 8's at 1125 - 1150 fps.

When I used to shoot games, the 30" step rib with a super full choke worked very well for long targets. a 1 1/4 oz of 6's or 7's at 1250 fps worked very well in this barrel.

Every barrel is unique and my understanding is that some of the older Remington fixed choke trap barrels were excellent barrels.

The older fixed choke barrels seem to pick up a lot less plastic in the choke area.

I like stocks with cut checkering as IMO you get a better grip when its hot and your hands sweat. The pressed checkering is not bad but I like the feel of the cut checkering. Also, the 870 Comp and the 870 TC Trap have a distinctive long fore-end that is a pleasure to look at and shoot.

Ed Ward

7. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Didn't some one make another version of the 870 comp- would take 1 shell in mag.
    I thought I had read about it. Most likely was a reg 870 made into one. Thanks Ken U

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

No hoot, not likely. That would be a monumental task.

9. Dale in Va

Dale in Va TS Member

I have been doing some research and I have read that the big bore step-rib barrels shoot fairly tight no matter what choke it has because the barrel starts to choke down a good bit before it get to the screw in choke. is this true?

The gun I have now has a fixed full and shoot really tight. I shoot better on the 23 than the 16 so I'm looking for something with chokes to get a more open even pattern. we also play alot of games and want to be able to use a tight choke. we shoot 40-45 yards from the trap house in a shoot off.

tring to deside which one to get big bore with chokes or standard bore with chokes

10. AveragEd

From my September 2011 column:

_________

Back in the mid-1980s, Remington introduced 11-87 Traps and 870TCs with overbored barrels marked “Target.” These barrels used RemChoke choke tubes that were uniquely marked “Full Trap,” “Extra Full Trap” and “Super Full Trap” and two popular opinions are that those chokes will only fit a “Target” barrel and that they have a lot more constriction than normal RemChokes. In fact, while they sound like they would make sense, neither is correct.

The "trap" chokes for Remington's overbored "Target" barrels have the same external dimensions as other 12-gauge RemChokes. Probably for either liability or production cost reasons, Remington made those barrels with some taper right before the choke tube threads so the RemChokes used in them could have the same dimensions as their standard choke tubes. The bore diameter of those barrels from the forcing cone to that taper was between .745" (the oldest "Target" barrels) and .730" (the newest "Target" barrels) but at the threads, it was Remington's 12-gauge standard of .727". Accordingly, all 12-gauge RemChokes can safely be used in a 12-gauge "Target" barrel. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that those “Trap” chokes are simply remarked standard chokes. For example, my “Full Trap” tubes have an outlet diameter of .724”, so by themselves they yield .003” of constriction over the .727” final bore diameter – could it be a remarked Skeet tube?

Knowing your individual barrel's bore diameter is critical because some of a “Target” barrel’s choke constriction is "built in" via that taper. A .745" barrel has .018" of "built-in" choke, so if you want, say, .033" of choke constriction, you'll want a tube that yields .015" of constriction over the nominal .727" bore diameter. It's weird, confusing and, in my opinion, doesn't work real well. I have numerous RemChoke and aftermarket choke tubes for my 870TCs and none of those chokes print patterns I would be particularly proud of. Yes, they break targets and will smoke ‘em if you got ‘em but they just don’t throw pretty patterns.

However, I do think those barrels shoot soft. I have a couple of friends who own older 870 trap guns and they both declare that their guns kick very hard - one of them had a bloody cheek after 100 targets with his yet he broke a 200-straight with it at the Grand back when he shot it regularly, so the stock has to fit him somewhat well. I had him shoot 50 targets with his gun with my barrel on it and he couldn't believe he was shooting his gun! The other guy had the same reaction. But remember, that was with a .745" bore barrel. The newer ones are tighter and may not shoot as soft.

I spoke with Remington about purchasing a .745" barrel three years ago, as I had purchased an unfired new-in-its-box 1994-vintage TC for my son that has a “Target” barrel with a .733" bore. They sent me a new barrel but it had a .730" bore. When I called back, the person I spoke with checked all the barrels they had and none had a larger bore, so there are no more new .745" barrels to be had.

A bore micrometer is a handy tool for determining choke constriction accurately and is a “must-have” if you’re shooting a Remington 870 or 11-87 with a “Target” barrel. Using one, you’ll likely find a choke tube that will yield the amount of choke constriction you prefer.

Ed

11. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Ed, my 11-87 target barrel measures .745 as you said and does taper to .727 before the threads. My trap full choke measures .732, trap extra full measures .720 and my trap super full measures .710 so maybe they made some with
    different constrictions. I also have a 28" 870 step rib barrel that is marked target that has a .745 bore and a .705 fixed choke and absolutely boils targets.

12. AveragEd

So your "Trap Full" tube gives you .013" of constriction - not very "full," is it?

There was some irregularity in those tubes, which was one of the reasons trapshooters weren't enamored with them.

Ed

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I look at the trap full as only a thread protector.

14. Dale in Va

Dale in Va TS Member

I bought one, I think it might have the 745 step rib barrel.

I've been looking at some carlson chokes, If my thinking is right A mod choke will equal a full and a imp cyl will eaual a mod?

here are some pics I havn't got it yet.

daleinva_2011_220526.jpg

daleinva_2011_220527.jpg

15. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

UMMMMM, ummmm,

The 870 Competition model

16. Dale in Va

Dale in Va TS Member

I was told it's a 870TC

17. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

I too have several different 870 barrels (.742, .745, .730 etc.) I recently purchased a t/c trap with a target step rib c/t barrel. it mic's .720, has anyone else seen one of these? seems to be of recent manufacture. Jack

18. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Nice looking 870TC with lovely wood Dale. Based upon the pictures, the condition of the satin finish makes the gun look unused. I too have an 870TC. My barrel is dated March 1989 and is the .745 barrel Rem-Choke. As Ed points out, the .745 has a reputation as being a soft shooter. I think that there is truth to this based upon having shot various 870's with different barrels. I tend to use either the Trap Full or Trap Extra Full choke. I may not smoke every target, but I'm not having any trouble scoring 24's & 25's either.

Please post more pictures of your TC when you receive it. It would also be nice to know when yours was made.

Brad

19. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Just aquired a TC that looks just like that one, (great transaction w/ "bluedotman") original barrel mics at .730! Not sure of the date of manufacture though. Still a soft shooting gun but not the desired "big bore" barrel. I'm going only 1 size lighter w/ my chokes (imod to get full) and it seems to pattern well. J.terre

20. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

J.terre, you might be able to verify the date of your TC by using the information from the website listed above.

Brad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 bore diameter

870 competition point of impact

stock diemenions reminton 870tc trap reg comb

what is 870 tc point of impact

what is target barrel for tc trap gun

what is the bore diameter of a 870 tc