1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which 28 gauge hull is best?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Greg Sturgill, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Sturgill

Greg Sturgill Member

for the purposes of reloading:
    Winchester 28 gauge AA compression formed (older) cases, or the new Winchester HS type hull?
    I am going to be using AA primers, 20/28 powder, PC Blue wads, and 3/4 ounce of shot. Thanks for your help.

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I'm not a 28ga reloader, much: a couple hundred a year, and I'm not real p'tic'lr abt hulls, preferring euro-trash as I'm cheap, but the serious 28ga reloaders I know sure like the HS hull over the STS.

Whether that is putting a good face on the declining availability of CF AA hulls or not, I'm not sure, but it seems like a case of genuine affection for a great crimp and long reloading life.

I don't think you can go too wrong, even mix-and-match.

Bob

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

AAHS. You aren't going to find a 20/28 load for the CF hulls (there is no timeline overlap b/w the hulls and powder, and no one is going to bother working up a load for an obsolete hull), and you aren't going to find a HS load for the PC Blue wads (they aren't a good fit for HS hulls, they are for CF AAs or STS), so you're going to need to modify your component choice a little.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the HS hull but I think you will want to stick with the HS wad (or clone) for this.

A lot of guys hoard the old style AA hulls but what is the sense of chasing ghosts all the time. Use what you know you can get.

5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Anyone I can get my hands on!! LOL
    Chuck

6. Greg Sturgill

Greg Sturgill Member

i don't really want to substitute the wad as i have 3,000+ of them. Maybe i'll try to find a bunch of CF hulls. I did contact the guy at Alliant powder that said 13 grains of 20/28 should work in that recipe...

7. wolfram

I use to believe I could make about anything work also. Sooner or later you will get tired of swimming against the current. The cost of 3000 wads is nothing when you enter the realm of 28 gauge shooting.

8. high 2

high 2 Member

P3AT, what powder and wad are you using to get that much life out of your hulls? I've always loaded Remington hulls in the 28 and the more Remington improves them, the worst they become. The STS is good for 3 reloads for me. Since I got my Spolar, I've had better results with the STS hull. I've been hoarding the old style AA's and shot them at the World Skeet shoot last year. Never thought that one could reload a 28 that many times. Please share. Larry

9. PGL

PGL TS Member

"for the purposes of reloading: Winchester 28 gauge AA compression formed (older) cases, or the new HS type hull? I am going to be using AA primers, 20/28 powder, PC Blue wads, and 3/4 ounce of shot"
    < >

< >I load both CF and HS Winchester hulls in 20,28 and 410. In 28 they are both good hulls, I have 1500 AA CF and 500 AA HS hulls in 28, I only use 500 of each at a time until hulls wear out, most of the 500 AA CF hulls have over 12 reloads on them, they are in great shape, the HS are on their 4th reload and still look great.

"AA primers" I assume you are refering to Winchester 209 primers.

I use Hodgden Universal in both for 1200fps loads PC wads are only for CF hulls, I use AAHS Winchester or Claybuster egual in 28HS hulls, I use Longshot powder in some FEDERAL hulls for hot trap loads 1325fps.
    < >

< >

ALLIANT WEB PAGE FOR RECIPIES: http://www.alliantpowder.com
    HODGDON WEB PAGE FOR RECIPIES: http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp
    GUNBROKER WEB PAGE FOR 28 GA HULLS:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Reloading-Supplies/BI.aspx?Keywords=28+aa
    there are are 28ga hulls on trapshooter too.

Old style AA28 hulls are selling for more than HS hulls, you might be better off selling your PC wads and starting with HS hulls that are cheaper and easier to get in the future.

what loader are you using ?
    hope this helps ...

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have loaded them all, and the one great truth is to be damn sure yuou have the right diameter wad for the case.

Had powder migrating past the base wad after loading, just from transporting them.

I cut one each of old and new rem, Fed, and AA and looed at how the various wads fit.

You will be amazed.

HM

11. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

I pretty much stick with the StS hull and Remington OEM wads (forgot the designation as my older age kicks in). Whatever they use as original wads, I use. No clones for me. The powder I use is the Alliant 20/28 -- I truly love the performance and patterns I get with this powder through mostly any choke. Of course I use Remington StS primers...

You might want to try a canister of the Alliant 20/28 powder. It sure turned my head when I first started using and patterning the results. For obvious reasons, I don't specify the amount of charge I use in my loads. Alliant has a great free brochure that lists all the loads for their powders and all the gauges. Email them for a copy. Mines become dog-eared I've used it so much....good luck

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I have had good luck with Federal & Estate 28 gauge hulls. You need to use the Federal 28S1 wad, though.

Hodgdon Universal is my preferred powder for both 20 and 28.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Take a look at this. This is why you can't load that PC wad. As I remember they were pretty much the same base diamater as the old style AA wad.

14. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

There was never a CF AA hull made that will load as many times as an HS hull. I shoot between 8000 and 15,000 28ga rounds a year depending on conditions with the Starlings and the old CF hulls are ok but there were also batches of them that were real junk.
    Depending on the age of the hulls depends on how many relaods you get but the best of them don't load as many times as an HS hull.

An HS hull with 15 reloads on it looks better then a CF with 8 reloads. They also hold the crimp better with more consistnt velocity when loaded multiple times.
    How about the brass splitting on the factory firing or the first reload? Any of you older 28ga reloaders out there will remeber those hulls.

Like wolfram said.. They are not only a better option but they are also the option that is still in production.

16. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

I've still had several 28 and 410 brass split after the first firing. I buy from a high volume dealer and had an awful time with HS 28 and 410 last year. If the brass doesn't split then they'll be ok

17. wolfram

I haven't had a brass splitting problem with my .410 or 28 HS gauge hulls but there have been a lot of interesting comments about hull life.

I don't really keep strict batch control on my hulls so getting exact loading life is questionable in my case. I had a feeling that 6 - 10 loadings was about right but it may be even better than that. I do know that I don't 'let em fly' or send them to the trash can very often - mainly I just loose them in the field. - Pretty good hulls

18. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I hoard the old style AA's, at least they were all the same length. STS are great also. AJ

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

First I have heard of a HS 28ga brass splitting. Happened from time to time with certain batches of the cf hulls. Jeff

20. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

sts and nitro 28ga are garbage. great in all the other gauges but not 28ga. they are skived too thin and the plastic cracks or melts at the crimp folds. some after one reload. There are also inconsistant hull length issues with them. I switched to aahs and so far have loaded some up to 8 times with minimal issues. MY LOAD: 7/8 oz #8, 23.8 gn lil gun, win or rem primer. Ballistic Products sg2811 wad. crushes clays at any sporting clays station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best 28 gauge hulls for reloading