1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which 22 target pistol would you buy

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by stogie, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stogie

stogie TS Member

What 22 semi-automatic target pistol would you buy to shoot in competetion? I am looking to buy one that is accurate shooting with minor maintenence.A real workhorse that has proved itself.I am new at paper target shooting and in need of some guidance and recomendations. Thank you.

2. a budine

a budine Member

Sig-Hammerli Essex - S&W 41 - High Standard Victor - all the rest...

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

S&W M41. I prefer the longer barrel with its sight radius.

4. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I've owned both a S&W M41 and a Walther GSP.

The GSP is worth the extra money. Plus I still have it.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

You didn't say what kind of shooting, but if you're shooting NRA bullseye, consider something that is easy to mount a dot scope on, as you will probably want to give it a try.

The Sig-Hammerli X-esse is showing up on a lot of firing lines, and the Smith M41 is always a good choice. The High Standard will feel the most like your .45 - perhaps a consideration for you.

If you're shooting NRA (US) style bullseye, stay away from the more exotic European ISU style guns (and that's coming from somebody who has them). Usually too difficult to mount a scope on, and it's hard to sell them and get your money out of them if you don't like them (41s and High Standards always sell).

6. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

HAMMERLI P215 OR P208
    BAR NONE-RICK ZINO

7. rifal

rifal Member

Advice from a card carrying NRA master bullseye pistol shooter. I've owned the complete line of bullseye pistols and have settled on a "Marvel" conversion mounted on a dedicated 1911 frame. Very accurate and dependable.Eats CCI SV without any feeding problems. Grip and trigger are the same as my 1911 .45 which is what you'll be looking for if you desire to shoot 2700 matches.My 2 cents worth.

Don

8. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I rarely see a Colt Match Target 2nd or 3rd generation mentioned?! Are these not good guns or what is the story?! Tom Rhoads

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

They were great in their time. Fun to shoot like Parkers and Ithaca's. But, if your competing against a ferarri why drive a Packard?

10. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I am in the market for a Ruger MIII or a 22-45.Can't find one new.Anybody have one for sale.

Darr Wilson

11. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Good luck finding the Ruger. I'm hearing rumors that Ruger is seriously backlogged on production and if your local gun shop is out it may be awhile before you see one. That said, I'd say +1 on the GSP or I absolutely love my Pardini.

Also, go to Targettalk.org and ask the nice folks there. Lots of great info to be found at that site.

HJH

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Tom Rhoads - you don't hear much about the Colt Woodsman target models because they are rare items that brings big bucks. Outstanding pistols though and I sure would love to have one.

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

There are better choices then altering a old classic like this one which is more then 60 years old.
    toolmaker251_2008_0303203.jpg

14. LAD39

LAD39 Member

gunbroker.com has ruger mk 111s listed. Ladder 39

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I already have mine!

averaged_2008_0303351.jpg

Some of us like the old school stuff that never jams or fails to fire.

I also have a Kimber Stainless Gold Match II 1911 in .45ACP and a Kimber "Rimfire Target" conversion kit for it. I can't say if the conversion kit possesses match accuracy but it puts ten shots into an inch at 50 feet from a rest.

Interestingly, about the only ammo Kimber conversion kits will digest without extraction and feeding problems is CCI MiniMags. But that's okay as it also shoots that stuff very well, as do those two S&W 617s.

Ed

16. moowho

moowho Member

I'm with Ed, old school
    moowho_2009_14078.jpg

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Ed, I shoot Blaser and Federal big box stuff thru my Kimber conversion with few issues. You may have an extractor issue?

18. AveragEd

Good thought but the extractor isn't a problem.

I was using a Federal load with the same ballistics as the CCI MiniMag that Kimber recommends - a 40-grain copper-plated bullet at 1,260fps - but only on 11 of 150 rounds did the kit extract the empty and chamber a fresh round. Kimber felt the ammo should work in the kit so they requested it back but could find nothing wrong with it and suggested I try their recommended ammo. I had little faith in that diagnosis, but tried the MiniMags and they work perfectly.

Apparently, the Federal load I have (#712) uses a slower-burning powder more suited to rifles while CCI uses a faster-burning powder that develops sufficient pressure in that 5" barrel to cycle the action.

Ed

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ed, a Marvel 1911 22 conversion will put 10 shots in less then a 1 inch group at 50 yards.

20. AveragEd

Could be. With my vison problems, I thought an inch was pretty good!

I go to O.D. number eight Monday morning with hopes of some sort of positive outcome, as the condition has worsened since my last diagnosis three years ago. My vision is blurry most of the time unless I use saline to flush the goop out of the eye and then clear vision only lasts a few minutes.

Don't get old.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.