1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which 20 Gauge Hull to Reload?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I'm going to start reloading 20 gauge target loads in a few months for skeet and want to start collecting the empties.

I've never reloaded 20 gauge before.

Are AA and STS the same quality? Which of these should I reload... or something else?

David

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>Are AA and STS the same quality?</i>

Yeah, pretty much. I use STS's and Gun Clubs for 12 gauge, but for whatever reason I use AA's for 20 gauge. They work fine.

3. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

AA's work better of the two, but I picked up some Estate empties at the club one day and tried them. They work great with the light loads for my kids.3/4 oz of #8 using 13g of Int Clays, Win primers, and WWAA20 wads.1180fps and they don't kick even in my really light Win 1300 junior.

4. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

CLP101 just hurt my feelings because that light load he loads for his kids is my primary 20ga load these days in an AA HS hull. I like using the AA HS hull over the STS in this application because it is slightly shorter and crimps perfect with 3/4 oz loads. I use STS and old AA CF hulls for my 7/8 oz loads.

That said, only one word of advice - if you are using a Browning O/U I would stay away from the AA HS hulls because of misfires in the lower barrel. The AA HS hulls have a thin head (rim) and if the primer is seated too deep it will result in light strikes and misfires. Browning and others offer a fix of a slightly longer firing pin for the lower barrel on 12ga guns, but doesn't offer any such thing for the small gauges. I almost hate to mention this here because it is like talking about sudden acceleration in Toyota's. I shoot AA HS all day long in my Beretta 686 without a problem, but with my Browning 425 it has been a constant problem even after changing out firing pins and springs. JMHO.

5. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Thanks for all the great input.

What is the difference between the AA HS and AA CF hull? How do I tell the difference?

David

6. WCW4269

WCW4269 Member

Hey Up north, I like the STS cases. I've been getting around 13 loads out of them before they burn through on the sides. I'm using a 7/8th's Oz. load with 15.0 gr. Unique, a WAA20 wad, or claybuster, and WW-209's or Nobel Sport's [after 6 or 7 reloads]. MV = 1155 F.P.S. Bill

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Remington STS or, for a distant "second" if you do not mind the steel heads on the Gun Clubs, they should work.
    Regards, Ed

8. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

AA CF = compression formed which were the old one piece AA hulls that are no longer in production.

AA HS = high strength which are the current AA hulls that have a separate base wad that is glued into the hull.

Pictured below from left to right STS, AA CF, three different AA HS hulls. The current AA HS has a shiny finish on the outside compared to the older AA CF hull.

[​IMG]

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I prefer the Remington STS hull for my hunting loads. I have a few of the Winchester HS hull buckle when in the final crimp of my Ponsness/Warren reloader.

Tom Strunk

???? Hap has been staying at my house the past two nights and I see he has made some changes to my computer, I see his name on this post not mine. I'll have to change this.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Aw shucks buddy, jist leave it and maybe WP will ask me who this Tom Strunk guy is? :)

I too prefer the Rem hulls!

Hap

11. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

STS for 7/8 loads. You can't get 7/8 in a AA without a 1 oz wad.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>You can't get 7/8 in a AA without a 1 oz wad.</i>

I use Universal Clays and have used both the Winchester WAA20 wad and the Versalite wad, and both fit fine.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I like the STS myself....I load them with Win Super Field powder and it patterns and functions great out of my 20ga 11-87..with a LM choke and 7/8oz of #8 ..I shoot the entire sporting course without changing a thing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best 20 gauge hull to reload

remington sts 20 gauge hulls