1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which 20 ga. for lighest recoil (sons first)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pharmvet, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pharmvet

pharmvet Member

Im wanting to purchase a 20 ga. shotgun for my 10 yr old son. He has shot a .410 some. He killed his first deer with a .222. Im wanting to get him a gun for Xmas that he can use to start shooting some skeet. What do you guys recommend. Im looking for an auto. with a youth stock. thanks

2. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

Beretta 3901 has adjustable comb and spacers for lenght of pull.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Look at a BPS 28 guage. The only downside will be the cost of ammo but you can deal with that if necessary by loading your own. Wonderfully soft shooting gun that handles great and hits the targets with alot more authority than you would expect with a 3/4 Oz payload. One of the features that I really like about the BPS is that the safety is a sliding button on the top rear of the receiver right where it should be... very effective and easy to use ... both for new and experienced shooters. If an autoloader is really necessary then a Remington M1100 28 guage sporting grade would do nicely.

By the time your son realizes that he might want a larger gauge gun, he will be ready for the 12 guage.

4. TRW369

TRW369 TS Member

Go with 20ga there are some nice 3/4 oz. load out there for the 20ga that are soft shooting and work a auto have loaded them for my daughter in 391 beretta 20ga great for skeet or even trap

5. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I just went through this with my son that is about 90 pounds.

1. Started with a used Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge. It beat the heck out of him (and me) and it is now with a new owner.

2. Picked up a used Beretta 390 20 gauge youth model. Easily adjusts to different LOP. Took him Pheasant hunting a few weeks ago and he killed his first 5 pheasants. He was shooting 3" shells on flighty ND birds, and told me he never felt any recoil.

Go Beretta.

David

6. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

There is a 20 ga. AL391 youth with 2 stocks for sale on this site right now, good pick. Look around here and find it and buy it..

7. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

bought my son a 20 gauge stoeger over under, he loves it and its pretty light. from dicks and i think it was $349 maybe? something like that. amyways its a youth model with 26" barrels. nice gun for the money

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I loaded both 3/4 oz and 13/16 oz of shot in an AA hull with AA 20 wad and 16.8 gr of Universal Clays and Cheddite 209 primers. Light recoil and still breaks targets very nicely while functioning a Beretta 391 action. The UC Clays load is fairly bulky and takes up the right amount of space for a nice looking crimp.

9. trw

trw Member

If you can find a Std. Rem 1100 in 20ga. they make great youth guns. Std. in this context means those built on the 12ga. frames before introduction of the LW or lightweight versions. I had one cut down for my daughter to learn to shoot with when she was about twelve & she was a very small & slight person at the time. As an adult she never topped a hundred pounds. That gun has been used to teach a lot of youngsters in the years since she was shooting & it is still going just fine.

FWIW, numbers of published 3/4oz reloads will cycle it & have almost no felt recoil.

Also, the 20ga. Remington Gun Club hulls can be picked up for free at most clubs where much skeet shooting is taking place and they are the same as the STS hulls excepting the steel heads & a slightly dif plastic. Today, lots of skeet shooters are only shooting 20's & a lot of them do not reload, so both Remington & Winchester spent promo hulls are readily available & either will reload a couple of times. No need to have the expense & hastle of a 28 for him to learn with & in the long run the 20 will prove much more versatile, IMHO.

The other reasonably inexpensive 20 gas gun to look for is a Beretta 390; same guts as a 391, but synthetic stock & dif [more squared] receiver profile.

kind regards, tw

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Remington makes an 1100 in youth model called the LT-20. It is built on a 28ga. frame I believe. They can be found in used condition pretty cheap and parts are easy to come by. If you reload then it can be as soft as a .410 or a 28 ga. too.

11. pharmvet

pharmvet Member

My son will be 10 yrs old Dec. 1. He weighs 82 lbs. Do you guys feel he is old enough and large enough to start shooting a low recoil 20 ga.?? I dont want to make him recoil shy and have not pushed this. He has expressed an interest and I want to get him started unless its too early. What do you guys think, and what have you done with your own kids?

12. kbarnes12

kbarnes12 TS Member

One shotgun to definitely stay away from is the H & R single shot. When I was a kid I shot a 20 gauge single shot and did fine so when my son was 9 I got him an H & R model and he shot it once and would not shoot it again. I shot it and it kicked worse than my 12 gauge Remington 870.

So the solution was simple, I got a new autoloader, put a shortened stock on the 870 and loaded him so low recoil shells. He loves that setup.

13. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

pharmvet, Only your son can answer that. I started my grandson out on the 410. He later (12 yrs. old) talked about a 20 gauge. What does he want to shoot? Trap, skeet or just plinking. We are a shooting family. Trap being #1, but we like all the shooting sports. Now he carries a 86.6 16 yard avg. and an 87.4 handicap avg (ata). If trap is his game PM me, I have a few suggestions. What ever he wants to do don't force anything ,NO matter what anyone says. He will let you know what and when. I'm an asst. coach for the Hancock County Young Guns. Glenn Allison , The ATA avg. is with a 20 gauge.

14. pharmvet

pharmvet Member

When I speak of shooting clays Im referring to very informal backyard stuff. I have been to a range only a few times for skeet, trap, sporting clays etc. If he really gets into it I guess Ill get more familiar, but for now its mostly informal. He will probably hunt turkey and maybe some squirrel as well once he is comfortable with things.

15. WGB

WGB Member

Beretta 3901 youth, 390 or a 391 RL (reduced length) model.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

make sure lop isnt too long

And get a gas operated auto- Remington or Beretta

I have a remington with a spare shorter stock

regards from Iowa

Gene

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I was thinking of my own experiences in reccomending the 28 guage Pharmvet,

My daughter just turned 11 and is about 85 lbs. The first shotgun I got for her was a Remington M1100 LT20. I fitted that with a short stock and thought that would be just the ticket. Well it wasn't, it kicked too much, she didn't like it. The BPS 28 guage on the other hand is very enjoyable for her. I load my own ammo but even if I had to buy factory, its not like she shoots that much. Usually it is 10 or so rounds in a session. Not really an issue. Besides the ear to ear grin when she smokes a target is worth what ever it costs.

I don't find the 20 guage (and I have a bunch of them)any more versatile than the 28 other than the ammo situation, both are at their best on small to medium upland game and target shooting.

18. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Informal is great That is the best way to start. I have a great teaching aid to help in the back yard,that is where good shooters are made. Glenn , Give me a PM.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, despite the Rem 1100 LT-20 being a soft recoiling gun, you might want to go with an 1187 instead. The felt recoil is almost as soft as an 1100 LT-20.

Remington makes a compact 20ga 1187 for youth. It comes in two models. Physically they are identical. Both have shorter stocks that have spacers.

1187 Sportsman Compact

Remington is not clear on the difference in these two models. So, to be clear, stock number 83626 is all matte black, and 83630 is fully camo'd.

Both guns have a 21" vent rib barrel, and they come with a single modified choke.

A 21" barrel is a bit short for trap, but it saves about a pound of weight, which is important for a small shooter. You can always add a longer barrel when he gets bigger. (You'll have to order one from the parts list, not the extra barrel web page, because they don't list them there.) The standard barrels come in 26" and 28" lengths.

The 21" barrel is a nice short length for carry in the woods, and works great for squirrel and small game hunting. Also works for upland in forested settings.

It will also work for use with Foster style slugs, particularly through a mod choke. You'll probably want to add glow dot sights on the rib. Don't bother to try a rifled choke tube. I've found the slugs sabot generally strips on them and won't rotate, causing keyholing.

Now, if this hasn't blown the budget yet, Remington offers two matte black rifled slug barrels for the 1187 20ga. Stock number 27591 has a cantilever scope mount. This may require an add on comb for a small person to get proper cheek weld with a scope. The other barrel, 29563, has rifle sights, and generally won't need a raised comb. Both barrels are 21". Because they have rifled bores, this allows the use of sabot slugs. And some of these in 20ga are pretty impressive, having better aerodynamics than larger diameter 12ga slugs. They are flatter shooting, and quite accurate.

One caveat... The above 1187 barrels ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT work on an 1100 LT-20. They must be used on an 1187 20ga only. So you cannot take the cheap way out and buy a used 1100 LT-20 and put a rifled slug barrel on it. You might be able to find an 1187 20ga Premier, which has walnut stocks and is polished blued. These have a lighter barrel than the matte barrels, but generally came with 26" or 28" barrels. You might make a WTB post here for one.

20. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Would strongly recommend a Beretta 391. Know where
    there is a like new for sale. Contact me for directions.

Doyal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.