1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which 1911 45?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

With so many 1911 45s on the market which one do you like the best for the money? Quality, accurate , good trigger?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You cant go wrong with a Colt

It all depends on budget of course and what you are going to do with it so those details will help

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

You had better figure out if the 1911's will be included in the assualt weapons ban you want so badly.

If they are going to be on it it would be a waste of money....LOL

Bob Lawless

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Colt is the gold standard by which the others are judged.

Springfield Armory makes good 1911s at about 3/4 the price.

5. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

gun banner smsnyder with an "assault pistol"- no way.

6. oz

oz Active Member

springfield armory

7. wlc

wlc Member

Take a look at what STI offers. They have a lot of experience building competition guns and it shows in all of their products. Plus they are made in the USA.

8. drgondog

drgondog Member

I have Colt, Springfield, Wilson. I had a Baer but traded when I found my Wislon shot as well.

All have good triggers and well matched bushings - Wilson comes with all the bells and whistles. If I had to give up every pistol except one I would be torn between the Wilson and a Ruger Target .22.

I added adjustable sights to the 1911A-1 and the Springfield and had trigger job on the Springfield and polished the feed ramp on both to shoot wad cutters. The Wilson is a tack driver, the other two run 1 1/2 groups from Ransom rest at 25 yards with match ammo.

I have heard a lot about Kimber.

9. smsnyder

Thanks alot. I love the 1911. Use to carry one in Nam. Looks like Les Baer, wilson , Ed Brown, STi are the high end 1911s.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Take a look at Mountain Competition's 1911 pistols.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sell that Motor Home and buy them all, gun banner. Why you need our advice?

12. smsnyder

13. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Springfield armory for entry level and just to have.Wilsons are top shelf.
    If you buy a cheap 1911,and dont like it,you can sell and not b out much,or customize it little b little until you may as well have spent the 1000 on the springfield.

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Galt and Buzzgun as usual , working on someones payroll, and typing their posts on other peoples dimes, have nothing to add to the conversation

If you wanted to go with custom- Les Baer is probably the best value for the money

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS on the bottom end I am very surprised at how shootable and usable the Rock Island guns are

15. wayno

wayno TS Member

my observations indicate a surge of interest in nighthawk 1911's, on the high end.

on the bottom end, i have fired a rock island "tactical" model that had a trigger job, and it was very accurate and dependable. for thousands less, i can't see why you wouldn't try one.

wayne harrison
    greensboro, nc

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Right now, the Sig 1911 has hand fitting and great parts for the money.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

After all the anti gun statements you made I would not recommend a sling shot for you.

1911's have a detachable mag just like the other autoloaders you seem to detest.

You can't choose to accept one auto loader on one hand, then deem others unfit to own, the gun ban list won't discern.

Many more innocents civilians have been killed by 1911's than "Black guns". (by a very large margin}.

18. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kimber makes a damn good 1911. Many variations to choose from. Colt is probably best value for the money, then Kimber, Baer, and Wilson. At least that is the pricing I have found. I'll probably get thrashed on this one.

19. oz

oz Active Member

I have a friend who makes custom 45's .I could not afford one of his so I asked him which I should buy. Without hesitation he said springfield. I have a stainless ( loaded) and have no complaints. I just bought a springfield XDs and for a pocket 45 it can't be beat.

20. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I have been around a lot of 1911's from the law enforcement and competition perspective. I agree there are several quality brands Colt, Les Baer, Kimber, etc...

If I was buying a 1911 right now it would hands down be a STI. You get a lot for the money and very accurate and dependable. They have different price ranges. STI Trojan about $1000. STI Sentry is about $1450. Depends on what bells and whistles you want. STI is top notch. Check out Dawson Precision or Brazzo's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mountin compition 1911