1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which 17 cal. HMR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bird30, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

You varmint hunters- Which rifle do you find is the most accurate in 17 cal. HMR ? I am considering buying one but don't want to buy several to find one that shoots good.

Thank you, Dave

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a savage heavy barrel that was a tack driver right out of the box..
    I put a 6x40 world class tasco scope with mil dots on it, on a calm day I can hit coke cans at 200 yards, havent tried any further shots.

3. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

SAVAGE-RICK ZINO

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Savage with "Accutrigger" option. The gun is cheap even brand new and is the most accurate gun I have shot. Put the best scope on it you can afford or buy one with the scope right from the factory. Mine has a Tasco on it. I still have mine. Rick ~~~Texas

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've got a ruger .17/77 that shoots real good but like the two posts above me stated, Savage is the way to go. Cheaper and in all reality a better shooter.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Savage guns seem to shoot better than their competitors. CZ has some good rifles as well. I shoot a Ruger 77/17 that has no problem hitting ground squirrels out to 175 yards or so. The thing I really like about the Ruger 77 is the flush fitting 9 round magazine and flat bottom stock. Flawless feeding, and the rifle is easy to get into a stable shooting position. Reloads are quick - something that seems important when the squirrels are thick.

7. Landshark

Landshark Member

I have the Savage 93R17 with the heavy bbl and plain wooden stock. It was a shooter right out of the box. I put a Boyd's stock on it and now it fits me better and still shoots lights out. I love it.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Ditto Savage

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Savage...I want to send my laminated stock to Tron to have an adjustable comb put on like he has on his

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Savage heavy barrel with Accu-Trigger.

Jim Skeel

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Savage 93 BTVS (I know it's a 22mag but I like this round better than the 17 HMR), but they also make this model in 17 HMR.

<a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm301/ecshooter/?action=view&current=93btvs.png" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

ss

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a Savage, Ruger and CZ. The Savage heavy barrel ( it has a Mako stock) is by far the best shooter. The accu trigger is not what they brag it to be. I changed it out for a rifle Basix trigger

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I would go Savage first, CZ second. The Savage trigger is very easy to tune down to a pound or so pull if you want to.

14. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Here's a second on the H & R. I bought the heavy barreled .17 and was surprised at the stunning accuracy. My H & R will shoot any ammo I have tried very accurately. ( 1 dime sized ragged hole @ 50 yards for 10 shots off a sandbag)It will provide less than 1.5" groups @ 100 yards and 2" groups @ 200 yards. I don't think it has a great trigger, and I'm not a rifle shooter per se. Cheap and fun. Larry Lockhart

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I have a Marlin with heavy barrel and scoped 4 x 12. I went with it because I already own .22 lr and .22 mags rifles that were Marlins that I'm satisfied with. I tossed the Savage around, pretty much the same, some of my deer guns are Savages. Pretty much a coin toss.

I think the Marlin is a good gun but, with the 17 you have to find which ammo your gun likes best. In my case it the Hornaday ammo, worse results with the Remington.

You'll have to experiment and put time in on the bench.

16. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Savage with Accutrigger with a laminate stock and a heavy barrel. It's a tack driver.

17. EE

EE Banned User Banned

CZ.

18. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I bought my Nephew his Savage 17HMR a couple summers ago. Last summer he shot the coyote on his normal groundhog patrol. He shot him in the back of the head at 186 steps. It is a great rifle. He had the Remington 597 previously in 17HMR. I am glad that we got rid of that before the recall.
    Doug Allison

19. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Doug,

Great picture of Grant! Count me in as one more vote for the Savage. Great rifle at a fair price. In this case I am not sure how much credit we can give to the rifle as Grant can just plain shoot no matter what gun he has in his hands. Now was that 186 of his steps or yours?

Don Cogan

20. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Savage 93 in any of its heavy barrel configurations. Mine is an "incher" on a calm day. Buddy's 93 lefty is the same. We've never had one come back because of accuracy issues (or for any other reason, for that matter)..wish I could say that about Remington, Sccy, Sig skeeters, or several others I could mention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

17 hmr rifle and tasco world class mil dot