1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which 1-1/8 wad gives most open pattern ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Hi,
    For those that do pattern work - I was wondering if you have identified any 1oz or 1-1/8oz wad(s) that give a larger spread pattern as opposed to others ? Its something I'd like to test this spring - against my std 16 yd reload - and looking for a few wads to try. Thanks, Brian

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I remember using a wad that had a post in the center of the shot cup that was suppose to spread the shot. I am not sure if it was made by Pattern Control. FWIW. JM

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's not the wad. As soon as the wad leaves the barrel the petals peel back and the shot is on its own. Any effect on the pattern probably came from the choke.

An exception might be that some clone wads have thicker petals than the wads they duplicate. Find the wad with the thickest petals and it may just increase your bore constriction by a thousandth or two.

MK

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Do not the Windjammer style 8 petal wads give a more open pattern? I have a friend who swears by them for 16 yards and 1st shot of doubles.

Ed Ward

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Patern control PC post wads are supposed to assist in spreadding the pattern. I beleive that there is a clone of this wad available from down range. Also there is also a spreader type wad insert, kinda looks like a golf ball marker that goes on top of the shot colum before crimping that is supposed to do the same thing. All this being said a mod or light mod choke should be plenty open enough for singles. The spreader type wads are supposedly for use in skeet type shooting.

6. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Downrange has the PC post Dies and is making the wads. I have been loading them for my sporting clays spreader load.

7. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

OK thanks ! - sounds like the Windjammer and PC post are a couple wads to compare against the Fig 8 I currently use. If only it were spring already !!!

8. f18

f18 Member

I've shot most of the wads on a pattern board and by far the 8 pedal windjammer makes a difference.
    Mick

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have friends who use the Windjammer wads and swear they give the best, tightest patterns at handicap yardage.

I've also heard some folks complain that patterns from the the Post PC wads look like a donut, with a big hole in the middle.

I'll be curious to see what your pattern testing results show, to see if either of these wads make any difference, or if its all sales hype.

Recommend you try using Dr. Andrew's shotgun insight program to analyze the patterns rather than just eyeballing them.

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Just cut the petals off of any of the wads you are using now. The shot will scrub the bore and have "flats" on them causing erratic flight which = more open patterns.

11. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Fiochi makes a spreader load alot of fixed choke shooters use for sporting
    clays. On my gun takes a 16" pattern to 28" at 25 yds. Ballistic Products
    has these wads and other spreader type wads. Can't remember what the wad is
    called, but can pick up a Fiochi wad and match in the catalog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.