1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where will it shoot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by melie, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melie

melie Guest

Once again, I must consult with the experts at ts.com.
    I just bought a beautiful IAB unsingle combo and
    I have to wait until my club opens for trap
    on Wednesday afternoon to shoot it.
    When I shoulder the gun, in a natural shooting
    position, I see a fairly large gap between the mid-bead and the front sight.
    Where will the POI be with this type of sight picture?
    The gun does not have an adjustable comb or butt pad.
    Would a Morgan type adjustable pad be needed?

Thank you,
    Mark

2. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

High

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

The gun will shoot high. You may have to remove some wood from the comb to get it to shoot lower. I don't think an adjustable pad will help.

4. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

An add on rib will take care of your problem if it shoots too high. If you are going to use it for 16 yard trap you might find it shoots fine. You got to pattern it first before you do anything. Search this site for add on rib if you you find out its shoots too high.

Hawk,

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Pattern and shoot a few rounds and then think about adjustable this and that. You just might find that the gun is perfect just the way it is or at least find out what direction you might want to go in.

6. spritc

spritc Active Member

Mark, we can only guess that it might shoot high by the configuration of beads. However, not knowing the gun and certainly not knowing how it was set-up by the manufacturer, there is no way for any of us to know how it will shoot. There are too many variables. Take it out and pattern it at least three times and then after you're satisfied you know where it's shooting take it to the line and shoot some targets. You are the only one who will know where it shoots and there will be no guessing.

Have fun and shoot well,
    Steve

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Only the Shadow knows. HMB

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

melie
    Sorry, I don't know the gun and I really don't know what a fairly large gap between the beads is. but what looks "fairly large" to you, might look just fine to me and might be just the ticket for running em in handicap. Take the advice of others, find the POI. If the POI is 5 or more inches at 13 yards, you may want to get an adjustable comb. Tell the stock cutter exactly what your problem is and you will get a perfect solution.

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Melie,

What you wrote suggests that the gun will shoot higher than its point of aim. Doing what was suggested above will be needed to learn if it shoots too high.

If it does, installing an add-on rib us usually preferable to removing wood from the comb, in my opinion.

In my opinion, NO ONE needs a Morgan stock adjuster. All other stock adjusters are superior to Morgans.

Rollin

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not really like to discredit products on this site but I am glad to let Rollin do it for me. His comments about the Morgan pad are correct. It was the first adjustable pad but it has been superseded by others.

Pat Ireland

11. melie

melie Guest

Thank you all for your input. The gun does shoot a bit flatter
    than I thought it would. The best I could muster today from 16 yards was a 21 and a bunch of 20's. The misses were mostly my fault. We shot a "buddy" shoot from the 27 and that's where I did very poorly. I couldn't tell for sure where my shot was going. I suspect "high". However, it is not a comfortable gun for me to shoot. I have to force my cheek into the gun to get any kind of good sight picture. I didn't pay a whole lot for this gun, so I am leaning toward shaving and refinishing the stock myself. Any tips on such a project would be appreciated. Again, thank you all for taking the time to answer
    my questions.

Mark

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

More 100s have been shot with the Morgan adjustable pad than any other adjustable pad. HMB

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Mark,

You might consider the installation of an add-on rib rather than shaving the comb. You could experiment with balsa from a hobby shop and place strips on your rib (painted black if you like), held in place by very large staples or black plastic tape. A map pin could be used as a front bead, held in place by a spot of airplane glue, the stuff that dries quickly.

The additional height of the rib would allow you to decrease the required pressure of your cheek on the comb, which probably decreases during swings anyway causing the gun to shoot higher than expected.

Pat,

Sure... I'm evil for saying the Morgan is a terrible adjuster but you have angles barnstorming around your head for agreeing with me - what a world!
    Because it rarely applies, I did not mention that Morgans are great for shooters with large tumors located on their shoulder pocket. (Just kidding, Pat.)

Rollin

14. washandwear

washandwear Member

Where will it shoot. Check POI on paper to determine where it shoots. Assuming it shoots true center (not left or right)then lock the trap for station 3 straightaway targets and shoot a box or two to see how you break targets. You will be able to tell if it is hitting the bottom or top of the target based on how the pieces fly. Some shooters take their front beads off and others require a figure 8 stack to be comfortable. It sounds like you have not shot a setup where alot of rib is showing between beads so this may be something you can learn to like or not. I personally don't believe you need to be concerned about how the beads stack but do need to adjust comb to smoke targets. One comment above is concerning in that the poster said the gun shoots flat while looking like from how the beads align it should shoot high. Jumping to the conclusion that you need to drop the comb to stack the beads maybe exactly the opposite of what you need to do to smoke targets.

Looks like more than two cents worth but certainly not much!

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"I suspect "high"." The first thing I'd do is not guess or suspect, I'd pattern the gun and know where it's shooting for me. That will tell you what needs to be done. Hap

16. melie

melie Guest

Well, like I said, I didn't pay alot for the gun.
    So, onto the sander it went. I reshaped the stock so that I can
    shoulder the gun with my eyes closed and when I open my eyes
    all I see is beads in a figure 8 pattern. Now all I have to do
    is put a nice finish on it.[cherry, I think] The stripping compound
    is working as I type. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Thanks again for all of the helpful posts.

Best regards,
    Mark

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Mark, we're all still wondering what you were when you started this thread: Where does it shoot?

Neil

18. melie

melie Guest

It patterned high.

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

So now you are guessing what my next question is, Mark: did you pattern it?

Neil

20. melie

melie Guest

ten-four

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.