1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Where were Leo's Custom Bt-99's made

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I just saw a very nice Grade 6 Browning BT-99 today at the range. It was very nice to look at (no gold), but got me wondering about Leo's guns with the gold and if they were made in F/N plant with the old time engravers there or elsewhere maybe Japan. I would just like to get a little more info on this. Thank You in advance for your help. Break-em all. Jeff

2. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

The Leo guns were made in Japan. I have a GR. 6 Pigeon Leos (with gold).....it is signed by the engraver.....I can't recall the name ...I'd have to dig it out of the safe.... but it's definitely Japanese. Beautiful work.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

3. Pull & Mark

Thank You David. If I was told correctly they had some great engravers in Japan as well as F/N. But they had a different style in Japan, were F/N had the more old style European type that you see on most old guns. Thanks again for the info. Anyone else have any more detailed info. I am just curious about the two different artizans who added so much to the gun world. Even if they did not make any Browning guns and worked elsewhere. Thanks You in advance again. Break-em all. Jeff

4. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Yes, I'd agree there's a difference in style but many of the Japanese engravers did exhibit traits of the classic european engravers. The old school FN artists - Funken, Watrin, Vrancken, Baerten, Marechal, Van Laar, Diet, Magis.....and many other masters....incredible work. there's some great engravers out there but that was "The Golden Era"

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

5. Pull & Mark

Thank You Dave, indeed they were some great engravers in the golden years. I hope that it does not totally die off. Break-em all Jeff

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If the JAPS only could figure out what a duck looks like. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.