1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where we are looseing young shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Check out above, Between Paintball, air soft wars and sporting clays. This is what the young blood is into. A few of the younger shooters have been to simular events with large team on team events. So maybe its time for a air soft or paintball course at your range?

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Kids are into anything Daddy will pay for.

3. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Kids cant try something they dont know about. Alot of them dont have somebody to take them out and get them interested, alot of them are to lazy to put down the video games and try something new. I'm not sure how you can attract young shooters either since anything that has anything to do with a gun now days gets people all worked up with the school shootings that have happened.fourty years ago when I was in grade school they had a fun day where they had a bunch of different sports activities we could try, they had a guy brought his gun and let everybody shoot some clays he threw, I was hooked. To bad something like this cant be done today.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My kids and grandkids love to shoot trap. With my guns, shells, and money. It's a fact. Kids love to shoot trap, as long as someone else is paying the bill. Then they may come back to the sport at about 45 years old , when they have a few dollars to spend.

5. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

I think the money issue is a smaller problem than we want to admit. The real issue is that the word "gun" has become a moniker of school shootings and violence. It is no longer associated with the sportsman or going out hunting for the day with grandpa. It is very sad to think that for many those days are long gone.

This added to the fact that kids now a days have so many choices and there has been such a strong shift to everything electronic (i.e video games, cell phones, Ipods, etc……) that going out into the woods or going to the range no longer has the appeal that it once did with older generations.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Most clubs that have become involved with the Scholastic Clay Target Program have seen an upsurge in youth shooting.

Many regions have 4H and Boys Scout troops that are very active in clay target shooting.

All the above involve reaching out and getting the youth involved. Not waiting on Dad or Granddad to take them to the club.

As said many times, we will lose these shooters when they have to pay for the majority of shooting cost out of there own pocket, but they will be back when established in the community.

7. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

Take a look at percentage of kids participating today in the ATA compared to percentage of kids participating 20-30 years ago, and I would think it has risen. I see more kids today shooting trap than back when I was a kid. I think the SCTP and 4-H have a lot to do with this. Many clubs give discounts to young shooters to help ease the cost and burden of these expenses. I commend these organizations, the clubs, and the adults donating their time and money to help these kids. All of us can help in one way or another, even if it is nothing more than an encouraging word or acknowledgement of them being there. Kids are so easy, as they thrive off praise, and often we are so reluctant to give it. They have the rest of their life to become cynical. Encourage them to shoot and don't complain too much when they beat you and our sport will be around for a long time.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If money is that big a problem then I wouldn't have shot Trap every year since 1963. Sure, it would be difficult for any kid to shoot 300 targets every weekend at an ATA shoot-same as most parents. The problem might be a bit deeper than all that. I shot Trap with plenty of kids back in the 60's-and some of them were quite good. They also quit for various reasons and haven't come back. We're all pushing 60 and how much longer must we wait 'till they return!!

9. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Money is one reason young shooters are lost. For many going to school and raising a family is all the can handle. Maybe we just don't ask them to shoot with us as they get older..................Roger

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I think all of you have brought up good points.

Changing stereotypes about the shooting sports is essential and opening up our ranges to become closer to our communities is necessary to demystify and eliminate the stigma of guns and the gun culture - programs like SCTP, First Shots, Merit Badge programs, Open House events etc... offer oportunities.

Young people have many more choices for recreation and entertainment then when we were kids - they multi-task almost too much! They also seem to have much more disposable income then when I was a teen. But if money was an issue - "chores" (do we still require some of those?!) could always be an incentive to offset or support shooting activities. Then we've got cars and girls.

There is a definite loss of teens from about 15-19, but one thing I do notice is that if its financially possible, parents who can continue to encourage their kids to shoot through high school, once in college seems to breed better retention after the kids get through those phases - but it is work to maintain the shooting buddy relationship.

Jay

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ditte the $$$$$$$.

It isn't getting any cheaper either.

12. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

We have 3 generations of trapshooters in our growing family, as well as one son-in-law that feels that if his daughter is shooting, he wants to shoot so they can spend the time together.All make their own shot and reload their own shells to save money. One thing there is no compromise on is the shotguns we all shoot. If you have good equipment then its up to the shooter to break the target.Yes, money can be an issue, but doesn't any other hobby cost money?

Another issue is that the SCTP participants are geared to doing shooting as a school sport activity in some states, not every state, and alot of their parents do not shoot at all but support the childs shooting sport activity becaue the schools are involved. Kind of like the soccer moms, football enthusiast, basketball junkies, and baseball nuts. Tell me how cheap it is to support a player(if were your child) in any of these sorts, not to mention purchasing the tickets for the games, the food, lodging, and gasoline to be there.

Many of the small club shoots are thrilled to see the young shooters come out an participate, maybe even win. When you get to some of the State Shoots,Zone Shoots, Satellite Grands, and then the Grand American its a little different tune sung by some of the older shooters when the youth have begun to take over the winners circle. I've seen it all and I am not proud of alot of my fellow shooters for treating these shooters the way they do. I do try to set a good example. I don't worry if I am going to be squadded with a young shooter, or go around making negative comments about how long it takes those young shooters to shoot. How are they ever going to better themselves if they don't participate. We weren't all experts fisrt time on the line either. We need to promote shooting more since we old timers aren't going to be around forever or this shooting sport will die on the vine.

Just My 2 Cents

13. RLAllen

RLAllen TS Member

Money and time. Most can find the money to shoot in moderation. It is sometimes more difficult to find the time to shoot. With two boys and myself shooting, money seems to cause more problems than time for us. We shoot at home most of the time. Limited facilities and travel expense. Seems one always has time to shoot when one cannot (cold, wet, frozen Winter.)

RL

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get them started with a little 22 rifle. I'm sure you have one. A box of Federal ammo 550 rounds for $10 at Wal-Mat, and couple of targets to shoot at. That's the way we got started, isn't it? HMB

15. porky

porky TS Member

Another problem is peer pressure and kids just having fun. I can't say that shooting a round of trap with a bunch of older guys is any fun for a kid. Not like shooting with a bunch of their friends. If it is fun, they will be more likely to do it.

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

This is a multi-faceted problem, many issues having been addressed above in previous posts. As a group, we could name a lot of reasons why younger people don't gravitate toward trap shooting. Once we have that list, each problem area could be addressed with suggestions for solutions. It would be well worth the time spent for a dedicated individual or group to pursue.

One idea that I have been trying to promote, with little acceptance, is to get the shooters into the local media as often as possible. That requires a little bit of effort, as when a shooter attains a milestone or state/national award, SOMEBODY has to call or email the local sports casters and sports columnists.

Another plan, but one that would be difficult to implement, is to target a few teen idols and get one out for a day of trap shooting with one of our big dogs. If that could be pulled off with an idol who has a decent reputation, then it could get our sport out there. It's a long shot, but we would never know if we could do it if we didn't try.

There are a lot of marketing things that could be done; many for very little money, as in the first example above.

17. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

It's not the money we pay for anything else we want our kids to do. Git-er-done is is really on the mark, Peer pressure - a youth needs to talk about what he or she likes to do - they can't mention it in school, can't bring a gun stock to school shop to refinish for a project where they still have school shop,+ what about the grade school child that drew a picture of a gun and had to leave the school to be evaluated, one of our young ladies stopped shooting because her friends wouldn't accept what she was doing ie. peer pressure. At least Trap shooting/skeet shooting is generaly a parent one on one time with a little competition built in. Liberalism is really a mental disorder, no one wants the fuss but if you don't stand up ie. start a school trap team, something, anything then the liberals win. Its more than our shooting its our future life style. Fraz

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Well I know a lot of younger guys in the 19 to 25 range, spending $$$ on paint ball nad this new craze AIRSOFT guns. Its not cheap either. Getting youths involved is hard enough. Our JR riffle is doing well. I was not told about or knew about trap shooting. Heck I didnt even know the club I used to go to with my dad had a trap field?????? When I finally started shooting trap, I did not know or hear anything about the ATA for 1.5 years?????

19. BrowningBug

BrowningBug TS Member

It is money to some extent but its also what we are able to learn with. I know I never wanted to shoot before I hit 18 because dad wanted me to but now we do it all the time. I also know my friends dont shoot with me because they dont have access to guns or someone who can load soft loads and work their way up. Just a thought.

20. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

Youth shooting is alive and strong in Nebraska. Last year at the Jr./Sr. High Cornhusker Trapshoot there were 1750 youth shooters. I coach the Papillion LaVista Trap Team we now have 127 members in our program this year. Papillion Gun Club help sponsor practices with 3 other programs praticing and a total ov 300 youth praticing there. They also have a youth league in the summer. Mark R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.