1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to shoot in DC area.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lacmalac, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lacmalac

lacmalac TS Member

I need to take my daughter to a sports camp at College Park over the Memorial Day weekend. Friday and Monday are travel days (from Vermont) but I'd like to find a Sat/Sun shoot or hit two clubs.
    Anywhere in a one or two hour radius would be fine.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tom

2. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Delaware state in Millington MD.

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Millington is not close. Prince George's Trap and Skeet is within 15 minutes of College Park, and is public. It is open all day on Saturday and Sunday for practice.

Other clubs in the area that are not private where you can shoot are:

Loch Raven (410) 252-3851 About an hour away

Anne Arundel Fish and Game http://www.geocities.com/~aafg/trsk.html About 1/2 hour away (Saturday only, I believe)

Carroll County Gun Club http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/795 About 45 minutes away (Saturday only)

Stoney Creek 410-437-1760 About 30 minutes away (call, I'm not sure of days/hours)

12th Precinct Pistol and Archery 410-867-0560 About 30-40 minutes away (call, I'm not sure of days/hours)

My email address is above if you need a tour guide or you would like to shoot with some of us locals. We would be happy to get a squad together for you.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Prince Georges would be the best of the pick. Great range and its a public range as well.

5. balance365

balance365 TS Member

Tuscarora GC is having registered shoot on Sunday and Monday.

6. coal stove

coal stove TS Member

I agree with Skip then work your through Montgomery, PG Counties. Go to PG County, nice facility. Nice sport clays and bunker course also.

Chip

7. lacmalac

lacmalac TS Member

Thanks for all the info. I've enjoyed looking up some of the clubs.
    Late May should be fun.
    Tom

8. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Tom,

Give us a heads up when you come through. Lots of folks get together at PG county on saturdays and even tuesdays during the summer. The range is open until 8pm.

Take care!

Luvn

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

On the days that Tom is going to be here, PG is open only until 5:00. Late nights are only Tuesday through Thursday.

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why would night shooting even matter to him? He is bringing his daughter to a sports camp and I'm sure she is not going to be sportingly camping at night so he will be spending the evenings with his daughter and what better place to spend it than in our nations capitol?

If ya get a chance and shes not to worn out try and get down to the see the Monuments at night. They are impressive as hell during the daytime but they become awesome at night. There is nothing better than walking upon the Vietnam Memorial at night with the lights as it seems to just rise up from the ground as you approach. On a clear or semi-clear night with at least a 1/2 moon or preferbly fuller moon it is grand to stroll down the mall next to the reflecting ponds and see the changing reflections of the monuments and such around the mall.

DC is a wonderful place at night around the mall and if I was visiting the area with my daughter the last freakin thing I would be thinking about would be whether the range is open or not to shoot at night.

Have some great shooting and I hope you both get a chance to see some of the sights of our nations capitol.

11. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Thanks for the heads up Recurvey. You would think in the summer time they would stay open a little longer. oh well.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ah yes ... the Metro. From the area of sports camp in College Park I think the Green Belt Metro is the closest and or dont they have one in College Park itself?

The Metro is the best way to get down to the monuments but also if you want to drive in the parking actually on the mall area is/was pretty dang good from when I lived in and visited the area.

13. lacmalac

lacmalac TS Member

I'm in agreement with touring DC. When our daughters were younger, we'd visit my folks in eastern Tennessee. On the way home we always stopped in DC for a couple of days. I also worked there in the early eighties at the Hyatt on Capitol Hill. One of my best assignments.
    I appreciate all the tips, info, etc.
    I'm looking forward to shooting at PG on that Saturday, registered at Tuscarora on Sunday and meeting some of you.
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.