1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to saty at Grand this year?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rhymeswithorange, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Maybe its too early to think about it but I am planning on attending my first Grand and am looking for some ideas on where (or where not) to stay. Thanks in advance.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Here's a "where not to stay in Sparta" video story...

Curt

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

All I can say is that I don't think you can ever start making those arrangements "too early."

4. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

Rhymes...check your PM's

5. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

I would suggest renting an RV and staying on the grounds in one of the campgrounds...the only way to go! Walt

6. BassMeat

BassMeat Member

Where around there does RV Rental?

7. FLIP

FLIP Member

stay away from the sparta inn !!

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I couldn't find a room until Wednesday night of Grand Week last year. I arrived on Friday of PreLims, and spent 5 nights sleeping in the back of a Ford Explorer. I was sore!

Matt Woodson

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I drove by the Sparta Inn once, I accelerated....be scared, be very very scared!

Does anybody have a picture of the Sparta inn? Got to say that the worst place I ever checked into (and out of) was the Vermo nter Motel in Montpelier Vt. while at the Vt. State shoot, truly a dump, a fleabag, filth....I walked back to the office and got my card credited right away....
    [​IMG]

Filthy hand prints on the door, broken glass on the picture over the bed, the ceiling was ready to drop on the bed, the ceiling was 6.5 ft. the stench of mildew and cigarette smoke .....filthy bed spread, stained with god knows
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

11. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Best bet is around the Fairview Heights/O'Fallon area to the north. Lots of hotels/motels, lots of restaurants. Drive is about 45 miles, approximately 1 hr, down to Sparta.

Other options are Chester and Perryville (MO) to the south, DuQuoin, Pinckneyville, and Nashville to the east. And Red Bud and Waterloo to the west.

Most drives are on the order of 45 minutes to an hour. Traffic is very light.

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't bother calling the Holiday Inn Express in Sparta. We called at Thanksgiving and were told they'd start taking reservations on Jan 1, 2010 for the grand and they wouldn't take any reservation for less than 10 days. So we called at midnite on new years eve and asked for an 11 day reservation for the Grand and was told they were booked. I asked how is that possible and they said they had a construction crew that had booked them for the duration of the Grand. I told them about the Thanksgiving conversation and asked why they didn't tell me then what the situation was? I have called Holiday Inn corporate and complained about their lousy customer service in Sparta and would not be staying at a Holiday Inn again and would let all my friends know also to stop patronizing their business.

Good luck.

13. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Bassmeat: the last two yrs I have rented a class c rv from MB Thomas Winnebago in St Louis.
    They will deliver it to your campsite and pick it up after you leave.
    Great folks to deal with....planning on doing it again this yr.

Walt

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Best thing to do is wait approx. a week or so and stay in Sunbury just off I-71.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.