1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to put weld spot to deflect hulls.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a B80, 1100, and 390 that I would like to fix to deflect hulls. Can anyone show pictures where to put the weld and how much does it take. Do you use a wire welder or stick? Thanks for your repsonse. Jackie B.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jackie you can get mad at me for saying this if you choose but it only costs $60 for a Gunsmith to do it right. Let them. It must be tuned to a certain round. Tron on here does great work.

Matt

3. Shooting Jack

I didn't and wouldn't get upset at your response, however wrong it might be. By the time I pay to ship the guns to and from it's considerably more than $60.00 times four. To my knowledge there is no gunsmith in a two hundred mile radius that can do these for me so I could take them to him. Thereon being the reason I would like to do it myself since I have the equipment already. Jackie B.

4. grntitan

Fair enough Jackie. Will you be attending any larger shoots where the traveling Gunsmiths could do it on spot?

For what its worth, i believe the weld on 391's anyway is actually on the barrel tang(more than likely not what its called) that fits into the receiver. Thats based on my buddies 391 that i eye balled after having the mod done. He had a smith do it at the Grand quite a few years ago. Good luck.

Matt

5. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Jack to do it right you need a tig welder so you have better control of the weld.
    Don

6. Shooting Jack

Well, I now have an excuse to buy a tig welder. LOL Thanks for the responses. I don't know of any big shoots anywhere close to me so I guess that's out. I have shell catchers but if and when I get to shoot doubles it would be nice to have a deflector. Jackie B.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A quick call to TRON.. maybe you just need to send a barrel.. not the whole gun.. BTW Tig welding is really a new world..I recently bought one and love it..

8. grntitan

Jack--There was also a device being discussed here a few days ago. It was a catcher that would allow you to shoot doubles and caught both empties. It was called the "Multicatch" Link above and pic below.---Matt

[​IMG]

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i put a very small set screw in the barrel tang on a 391 then filed it to only leave a small area to deflect the shell. can show picture in a day or so. it required a drill press and a few moments of time. Not sure where you can buy the actual small part that beretta actually uses. it would be easier with that part. It is a small round head rivet that is peened in place motordoc

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have drilled many for a piano wire. Easily removed for doubles, small enough to lose easily.

HM

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's a guy in North Carolina that invented a shell deflector that replaces the bolt handle. I don't know his name, I'll try to find out.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

ShootingJack, drill the barrell with a 1/8th tap drill and thread the hole then
    install a set screw about 3/8ths long or 1/2 inch and and grind the bottom of the set screw until you get the results you want, then add some blue Loctite so it will not vibrate out of adjustment, the place to drill the hole is kust behind where the shells are crimped upon ejection port, this is easily found when using a fired hull and manually pulling the bolt handle back, scribe a line
    on the Bbl and drill it perpendicular to thge ejection port, so it is straight down, in the middle of the Bbl flat.

This is what I have done, you need a drill press and a small vise that is a pivotal vise. Or some way to hold thya Bbl, you may need someone to hold the Bbl
    if you cannot support it near the muzzle.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Consider having a Smith drill two small hoes in the receiver and installing a piece of piano wire. They're friction fit and can be removed and reinstalled at any time.

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

He wants to deflect them, not catch them.

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

My shooting buddy bought one of those fancy shell gizmos pictured above. It failed to function as advertised. Aside from removing it from his gun I have no idea what he did with it. Jackie I have a friend who will do the welding if you tell him where. Jake

16. Shooting Jack

Hi Jake,

I will try to find out more about it as I have several I would like done. I hope you and your wife are doing well. I have been chomping at the bit to get down there and shoot some doubles. That was so much fun. Jackie B.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Remington used to sell the replacement deflectors for some of their target barrels. I had a few which I had installed by a local gunsmith in various barrels. He also had used a small cap screw in other guns and shaped it as needed for function.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you have one of these knock-down pins or whateveryacallit installed/welded on to deflect the hulls downward......then will a T&S shell catcher still work to catch 'em? 11/87 Remington....I'd like to catch the hulls when shooting singles and then take the "catcher" off and just deflect the hulls when shooting doubles.

John C. Saubak

19. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

John, I havee an 1100 trap with the factory nub on the barrel to deflect the shells and the shell catcher works with it

Bob

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

John, the T&S shell catcher will certainly work with the deflector. I even have the wire drilled in and working fine over the top of them. It really only affects the shell when there is no shell catcher installed. One of mine will drop the hulls just in front of my right foot, far enough away from the mikes not to set off an extra bird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.