1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to Look With Eyes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Goose, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Goose

The Goose Member

OK I'm an accomplished Skeet shooter (no jokes please) trying to shoot trap and I suck! Shoot a 23 one round and a 15 next. Where do you look down the rib or in a fixed area? My eyes go to the target quick but the gun seems to be late getting there???

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I look at the target, I don't consider where the bead or rib are. You may need to check your stance so your not moving the stock off of your cheek when you swing the gun.

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

There are excerpts from the instructional tapes by Leo Harrison III and Harlan Campbell on YouTube. That would be a good place to start.

On a related note, if you're using your skeet gun for trap targets, you still have to cover the bird. If you are using a trap gun, it shoots higher and you don't cover the target.

sissy

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Goose. If you are near the Twin cities, I can get you up to speed

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Start by getting the gun on you shoulder and cheek on the stock then look down the rib/beads to confirm you have the gun mounted correctly. Now without moving your head look out over the trap house in the general area where you normally first see a whole target coming out of the house. Call for the target and when it comes out keep your focus on that and let the gun follow your eyes. The important thing during this moving transition is that your head stays exactly in the postions that you started with on the gun. When your eyes get onto the correct target picture , the gun will be there as well and you can take the shot.

There are lots of minor variations on this such as where exactly do you start the gun in relation the the traphouse and how that varies with the station but the most important thing is that you are looking for and at the target and not at the gun.

If you really want to get the most from your shooting dollar with respect to improvement then take a few lessons from a professional instructor like Phil Kiner.

6. The Goose

The Goose Member

Used a BT99, ok so look at the target only correct?

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are a few methods that you can use. To get the best results you have to know how high your gun shoots. Also before answering your question we need to know, do you shoot with one eye or two eyes. HMB

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Goose
    1. what gun are you shooting?

2 have you patterned it for impact.

3 everyone is different

4 you can always PM me with specific questions

My recommendations for a starting shooter are usually to start with the gun just at the top of the house and looking about a foot or two over for starters.

when on #1 or #5 your gun will be just outside of the corner of the house but below the line of flight of the extreme angle targets.

As you become accustomed to this you will then slowly start moving the gun and your focus area up until you find a comfortable and consistent hold/focus point.

Remember that it could be different for different trap houses at different clubs so experience helps a lot.

Joe

9. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

To begin with, I would pattern your gun. Fire 3-5 shots at a fixed point on a patterning board to detemine if your gun shoots high, low, or neutral. Try to use the exact same mount every time, same position on your shoulder, etc. This will be about the only time you will sight a shotgun like a rifle. Line up the two beads one behind the other and place the front bead on the aiming on the board. Squeeze off your shot and repeat.

The object of firing multiple shots at the same point is to firmly establish the impact point. Once you have completed your shots, you can analyze the pattern and clearly see if your gun is throwing the pattern high or neutral.

My BT-99 shoots about 70/30, with 70% of the pattern going above the hold point. This means that I can just touch the bottom of a staright away target and touch off the shot. This allows you to have your eyes constantly on the target, never loosing sight of it. In turn, this allows your eyes to constantly feed information to your brain concerning the target and its path. The brain takes the information from the eyes and uses it to drive the muscles accordingly, driving the gun to the proper position. The result (with practice) is an X on the card.

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Look at the horizon in line with your hold point on the house

When you pick up the blur in your peripheral vision, you can then quickly focus on it along with gun motion to it

Try it

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Goose, Sounds like you need to work on your consistancy and confidence the most!!! You need to find "your" hold points and stance for each station and go from there. The next thing is to just stop "Thinking" and just shoot. You'll work it out. Relax and have fun, you may be trying to hard!!! Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Wolfram pretty much hit it on the head.

13. dalog

dalog Member

+2 for Wolfram

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmm... I was thinking Mallory Stanton..... (grin)

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I am with Pull & Mark on this one. You already know what to do as far as concentrating on the target, and following through if you shot skeet. It is just a slightly different game as in angles and such, but the method should be the same. The straight aways are more than likely the birds that will give you trouble. You have to keep the gun moving up after the shot. As for holds, I would start out below the front edge of the trap, only because you are used to seeing the bird when it first exits the house. You have plenty of time to shoot in trap. Don't be rushed to shoot. Nice fluid motion like your swing in skeet, pull the trigger and follow through, moving only from the waist. A little practice and you will be consistant. Jon

P.S. I believe that if you shot a 23, you where not just lucky. Doing the gun patterning, (POI) is only going to make you bead check and cause all kinds of problems. I'm not sure skeet shooters even know what bead checking is. Just concentrate on the target, shoot the damn gun , and follow through.

You know it's kind of funny the way you approched the trapshooting crowd in your questioning. How many skeet shooters do you ever hear blaming their gun for missing? Why aren't all the adjustable equipment on skeet guns like on trap guns? How many blame their shells, or their chokes? What do skeet shooters think when they see trapshooters consistantly shooting at a piece of paper and adjusting everything on their guns? Us trapshooters think the skeet shooters are a little different! I guess so.

16. The Goose

The Goose Member

Skeet people think you guys are crazy with all that adjustable stuff....lol The entire un-single thing seems nuts to me? Why not one gun with 2 barrels with a POI you like??? Now you have the same weight, balance, and sighting picture for singles and doubles. As you know with skeet we try to keep everything the same 12ga to 410, nothing to think about but the target. You are correct nail the left and right and miss the straight bird. Thanks for all the info you trap guys are not all that bad....

See you at the shootoff (I hope)

-Goose

17. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Wolfram's right...one thing I might add, though: *IF* you feel like the target's beating you out, keep the forward edge of the roof of the trap house in your bottom peripheral vision. That may give you a quicker bearing on direction.

-Voolfie

18. himark

himark Well-Known Member

First off are you a two eyed shooter or one?

If two you can look high, one you better be looking low or you will be chasing targets.

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Click to my site link above and look at "Gun Holds."

That should explain it all, particularly if you're a two-eye shooter.

Whiz

20. Rossi396

Rossi396 Member

I'm a two-eyed shooter and I think looking through the barrel right at the trap house (depending on the station) works best for me. I concentrate on the forward edge of the house and break the house into quarters as far as where to look. I try to catch the bird coming out of the house.

Station 1 and 5 I hold the gun on the house so I don't get beat by the extreme left or right birds and look at the left or right edge of the house for the bird (cheating for the angle). Station 2 I'm looking from just right of the left corner to just left of center, station three I'm looking at an area left and right of center with my hold slightly right of center. Station 4 I'm looking just right of center to just left of the right corner. My hold on stations 2,3 and 4 is above the house with my gun approximately level.

All of these methods come from a great instructor....Nora Ross!

Tony in Pittsburgh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

where to look for a trap target coming out of the trap house