1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to keep gun 'safe' at a shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mtimney, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Where to keep gun

Where do you keep your gun at a shoot when you're away from the field? Do you cover it up in your car? Do you hide it under the bed at the motel? Also... Do you insure your gun with a special insurance rider?

I ask because I'm considering insuring my Guerini Combo... at a cost of $70/year for full replacement value and no deductible from Allstate.

Mark T.

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

When I'm actually at the shoot it's usually in the car, sometimes put together and sometimes in the case. I don't go to any great lengths to hide it, since anyone there knows that everyone is going to have a gun or two with them.

At night it goes into the hotel room with me.

I take reasonable precautions to make sure it doesn't get stolen (like I do with any other piece of personal property that I own), but I also carry insurance because I know that there is a possibility it will get stolen.

SAIA offers insurance for gun owners. I dont' recall the rate, but you can find them on the 'net.

Scott

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN THE CAR. I take my gun in my room. When traveling alone I will have my dinner delivered. If other people are in the room one person stays in the room at all times. The guns are never left alone.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Auctioneer said. I have SIAI insurance, but don't want to lose my gun due to carelessness.

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

From one who has had his good trap gun stolen, you lose a lot more than just the use of your gun. it took me a few months to get another one that I liked and a year to get used to the new one, where I was shooting near where I had been with the old one. With no special rider State Farm gave me 2700 for the loss of my old one, and waived the deductible.It more than covered the cost of the new one. Bill

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In the back seat of my pick up or the back of a friend's truck. Usually unlocked. Leave the keys in my truck most of the time too. One of the advantages of living the hayseed life and I also realize you just don't do this sort of thing in many areas.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Locked in my trunk w/remote solenoid wires disconnected, I must use the key to open trunk, and it goes to the room with me, I have had vehicles broken into, I had it happen at the Ky statate shoot I had guns in my room but the broke in and stole the fishing rods and they tried to get the boat, vehicle was parked under the lights and near the window of the restraunt where it could be seen, they also took the stainless prop off the motor.

And they took the radar detector that I put on the floor.

Broke out the wing window on my new Dodge Van.

Trapguns were in my room with me.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. johnboy

johnboy Member

I never put any decal on my vehicle indicating I am a firearm owner. Gun always goes to the room.

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

Sorry you said at a shoot, locked in the vehicle. I avoid gun racks as I have seen loose dogs whiz on racks, racks knocked over and people pick up the wrong gun from a rack.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

At the Grand in Ohio they had a BIG problem with people breaking into cars. Alot of guns were stole there. I never at big shoots leave my gun in the rack. Some people think the gun rack is a shopping rack for them to look over nad try. In other words they think they can pick up any gun and look at it. People have been nice at times and at others made sure the person got the point that if it isn't his don't pick it up. People have also picked up guns and walked off with them.

To make a long story short in T&F mag a guy lost his Parker Trap gun for 36 years. He was on the east coast and the gun was found on the west coast in an estate auction. The guy died and they were auctioning off his guns. He got it back but it was 36 years later.

When strange dogs come around I do watch them to make sure they don't wet the rack.

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I was attending the Grand at Vandalia in about 1980. Myself
    and another Gent on my squad both put our TM-1's in the rack
    and walked about 20 yards to get a Coke. When we returned a few
    minutes later, his gun was gone. I watch my gun a lot closer
    now.

12. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

Is it true that people steal drop out triggers at these events?

13. rwtii

rwtii Member

A few years ago at the NSCA National for sporting clays they had a gang that sprayed chemicals on the tires in the parking lot that reacted to a black light. Then they drove around San Antonio hotel parking lots looking for cars to break into or rooms to rob when people were at meals. They also have gun storeage at $5 per night. The larger sporting clays shoots have gun storeage. Maybe a locked room and armed security guard with insurance is not such a dumb idea at shoots. Hotels are supposed to provide safes for valuables in most states. Ask.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I am cheap. I am also considering buying a sticker for my back window from the local and large church down the hill here in L.A. (Angeles Temple, 4-Square Headquarters.) The gift shop sells stickers that say "Clergy" with a design. The karma/fear given off might help. (Bad people might also feel bad "ju-ju" etc.) I got that idea from Car and Driver re. the first Cannonball run. I used that idea once and got out of a ticket pretty much coming into Ely at 80 per during the 55 mph era. Wear pocket protectors to dinner and put a bandage on your glasses if you are really concerned that you might be cased when you go to dinner.

I also keep my guns buried in the back of the truck, well, not literally, but under a funky looking cover made from plywood and 2x4's. Back of truck has a camper shell. I take guns into the motel room at night. Try to use stealth, try and look like someone not into anything really "cool" like nice cars and guns.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Make sure you do this, disconnect the solenoid wires to the trunk opener as the theif can access the trunk through the Glove Compartment, I know I lost a K-80 that way in 2000 at my future wifes home had gun in trunk, car was parked in front of her house w/windows open, they opened the door and pushed the trunk release button.

That way you have to use your key to get in the trunk, also remote trunk openers work on other cars besides yours, they drive around and push their remote trunk opener and BINGO one opens

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.