1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to have an old shotgun refinished/ cleaned?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Hey guys, so I am wanting to get my great grandfathers old shotgun run through and made safe to shoot. Also I want to make it so the wood isn't dry as a bone to the point where it will likely shatter if shot. The finish is worn off in places and has a few hairline cracks. I am located in the south metro (twin cities) area of Minnesota. The gun is an Old Stevens 520 made for Montgomery Wards, it is the double hump and has the "suicide" safety in the trigger guard. I have done my research and someone correct me if I am wrong but it is betweeen 80 and 90 years old. Also, it was a "garage gun" for 30+ years, has not been shot for sure since 76' if not earlier than that. I would love if anyone knows a gunsmith who has experience with these in Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, the Dakotas or best yet, in Minnesota. Thanks everyone, this gun means alot to me And I am not expecting anyone to want this but I will say it now, not for sale nor will it be.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SouthMetro Shooter

Oh ya, the recoil pad disintegrated long ago

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

just shoot it

4. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

www.mbabllc.com

5. SouthMetro Shooter

I would just shoot it but I dont want the thing to blow up or severely injure me or anyone around me.

6. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Get in touch with Stan Durda in Apple Valley.

7. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Brad Bachelder does excellent work, he is in Grand Rapids MI

JohnR

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Second on Doug. It is actually in pretty good shape for being in a garage, if in Minnesota. Not to much rust, and pitting. Doug also has some alternatives to the rebluing that would hide the pits and marks in the metal. Give him a call, and discuss it with him. Jon

9. SouthMetro Shooter

And then I am just guessing but It would be best to shoot paper shells compared to like a AA or something right?

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Have the gunsmith check it out. I would think you could shoot todays ammunition through it as long as it is not a magnum load, or steel. Also if it is not Damascus barrels, which it does not look like. It is not that old. Jon

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Ben Smith in Viola, WI.

12. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Have the chamber measured before you shoot anything in it, just to find out whether its a 2 3/4 inch gun or something less. Unless you have some knowledge of how to measure the chamber and inspect the gun for soundness, I would have a local gunsmith check it out. Then you will have more information on whether to shoot the gun as is or restore it. JMHO!

13. SouthMetro Shooter

Somewhere down the road i am looking to restore it. And I was not aware of the pressure. It is a 2 3/4 gun and is a full choke but has probably been shot down to an Improved modified. 28 inch barrel. I would take it apart but there are some weird steps because it is a breakdown gun.

14. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Midwestern Gun Works is doing work on my old Winchester 101 20 guage. They are suppose to be the best. Just google them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stevens 520 shotgun