1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to get shipping boxes?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sargon, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

Where do you guys get boxes to ship a gun if you don't have the original? Is there a place that they can be bought?

Thanks

Mike

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

post office has some, office max, staples. i make some up from cardboard that i get at the stores. depends what you are shipping. go to grocery, sears, auto parts dealership etc and they will gladly get you a used box to use. motordoc

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I use a packaging/shipping store that will custom make a double-walled cardboard box of whatever dimensions I need. They generally charge about $15 to make a box to hold my Americase (or whatever) I need to ship. Once you have that box made, you can use it multiple times.

I feel sure you will have a similar business where you live.

4. Diamond Grade

Diamond Grade TS Member

Just go to your friendly gun shop owner and ask for a box, I know most of them are glad to give them, as they usually end up paying to throw out in their dumpster. (Former gun shop worker) Ron

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Don't know what kind of gun you are shipping, but Ljutic has boxes for their guns to be shipped back to them in.----Steve

6. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Go to the malls. They have an area that has a box crusher. The guy running it will let you have your fill of boxes. Look for someone moving in to your area and get the used boxes. Go to the stores that sells stoves and frig's. Those boxes you can make what you what you want to in size.

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I get mine from uline.com and line them with styrofoam from home depot. Works great. Plenty of protection. You have to buy 20-25 boxes, but they are so reasonably priced that it's well worth the cost.

8. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

I get mine from a bycycle shop (free) and cut them to what size I need ,can usually get 3 heavy duty gun box's from 1 bycycle box. Dan

9. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Bycycle shop I will remember that one. Thanks.

10. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    FYI: Brownells also has gun shipping boxes. The only problem though, is the cost. They are 5 for $77.49! (This is out of last years catalog - #58) Has anybody ever used these? Are they any good?? I think I like 'Diamond Grade's' suggestion best, try the gun stores - I hadn't thought of that. Finding boxes that are oversize allows lots of protection for your gun (if packed properly), but the problem is that if you are going to ship it by 'air', UPS, FEDEX, and probably the post office may charge you by 'dimensional weight' if it is too large. This means that they measure your package dimensions and use the formula - length x width x height divided by 194. So lets say you pack up your gun and it weighs 12 pounds. If this calculation yields 30, they will charge you a fee as if you were shipping a 30 pound package! They will charge you either actual weight or dimensional weight, whichever is greater. Oh, did I mention that in measuring your package they round any measurement up to the nearest inch. So if the length of the box is 32 1/8", they will calculate your dimensional weight using the length of 33". The only good news is that dimensional weight is only applied to air packages, not ground (I'm pretty sure). Happy shipping! And when all else fails over-pack! Your gun is worth it. - Mike

11. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

For about $15 dollars you can buy one of those plastic break down cases with the egg crate foam lining....put the gun in it, tape the heck out of it, ship it to the gun smith, and it comes back with your gun for reuse next time.

12. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Regarding the suggestion from Baron23: An excellent suggestion probably, particularly considering the cost. I wish to caution though, anyone who will take a minute to read this, about a very serious hazzard to shipping this way, and how to prevent it. If the gun is shipped 'assembled' , with bbls on, and no other parts or accessories in the case you are probably fine, If you have to take the bbl and forearm off in order to fit the whole gun in, which is often the case, it's another story. Please either make cutouts in the foam for each part of the gun, and/or wrap each part in padding before shipping it. A number of years ago, I received a Browning, from a gentleman in Utah, in just such a case. The bbl and forearm were seperated from the stock and receiver. It arrived in good conditon. After working on it I shipped it back exactly as I had received it. To make a very long story very short, the case took a hard hit at some point in shipping. It either fell a few feet or had something dropped on it. What happens when a case like this is hit hard along one of it's edges is that it bows outward, allowing it's contents to fall together. When this happened the bbl took a pea size chunk out of the pistol grip, and then 'chicken-pecked the bottom of the stock all the way to it's destination. Basically, the buttstock, with a brand new recoil reduction system was history. Unfortunately, UPS, whom I shipped with at the time but don't anymore, denied the claim. This, by my experience as well as many others whom I have spoken with, is how UPS handles most of it's damage claims. In order to collect I had to take UPS to small claims court. I had never done anything like this before, I was very busy and it took several months for me to figure out how to do this, file the correct paperwork and prepare for the case. I won the case and a $1200.00 judgement against UPS. That was the good news. The bad news is that it all went to the customer, who was pretty angry with me by this point for the amount of time that the whole fiasco took. I can't say I blame him. The lesson here I suppose is to make sure that there is cutouts in the foam and that the individual parts are well isolated from one another. Sorry for the long post but I hope this saves somone's gun sometime. - Mike

13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Michael - you make a very good point and I should have been more clear...one, they are not really break down cases, they look like a long gun case but an auto with 30" barrels will often not fit when assembled; two, yes..if the gun is broken down I wrap each piece in bubble wrap to avoid damage if it gets rattled.

Cheers

14. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Baron23: I hope I wasn't taken to be either correcting you or calling your idea a poor one, I wasn't. I meant what I said, it is a very good idea. I was grateful for the opportunity to help others learn from a bad experience that I and a customer had had, It sure wasn't obvious to me that it could happen until it did. We do often receive guns packed this way and it's always a bit of a worry. These cases are very deceptive because when you close them they seem so tight ... I never would have guessed that would happen. Again, thanks! Also, I liked the last line from magnumshot - "Pack it to withstand being thrown from the truck, because that's what happens repeatedly. Also pack small items seperately." That's probably some of the best advice on here yet. The only thing that I might add is to remove tiny little screws, allen wrenches and the like from your case before shipping. It's amazing how even it the tightest cases these can find their way up to the side of your stock on a long cross-country trip. - Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.