1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to get a recoil compensator?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by selmerfan, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. selmerfan

selmerfan TS Member

I am acquiring a used B.C. Miroku O/U 12 ga. trap gun this week. I'd like to put a recoil compensator in the stock. Is mercury the only option, or are there others out there, and how does one install it? Thanks for helping the relative newbie!
    Willie

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Willie---There are mercury and spring loaded recoil reducers. Go to Gamaliel Shooting Supply at www.gamaliel.com and they have several. I believe they install in the stock bolt hole though i have never actually used one.----Matt

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Willie, take a 12 ga. empty hull, fill it with whatever size lead shot you have available, close up the end and insert it in your stock to add weight. This is just as effective as expensive "recoil reducers". To get the right size to fit the bolt hole in your stock, you can get real creative and take a 20 ga. empty hull, put shot in it and insert the open end of the 20 ga. hull into the open end of the 12 ga. hull, wrap duct or electrician's tape to hold the two hulls together and size the length of the two hulls to fit the hole in your stock. Best Regards, Ed

4. selmerfan

selmerfan TS Member

After I posted the original post, I did a little research and found that the majority of opinion rides with what Ed recommended. I've done it in the past with heavy hitting rifles when doing load workup from the bench, but it totally changes the gun balance. I'll see how the perceived recoil is before I do anything to change the balance.
    Willie

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Willie---Most excessive recoil usually lies in a gun that is not fitting the shooter correctly. You may want to spend a little bit of your time and money making sure the gun fits you right.----Matt

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Willie, any "recoil compensation" technique (mercury, spring loaded, plain ol' lead) to reduce recoil will change the gun balance to a some extent depending on how much you add. If the recoil pad on the gun is hardened by age, you may want to have a good recoil pad (KickEez 301) installed. Best Regards, Ed

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The lead slug type can work, since adding weight will reduce the recoil. I'd add to the butt stock AND the forearm to try to keep the gun balanced. The RAD or Gracoil are a good unit also. They require fitting and are more costly, but they seem to work. I don't think the mercury or spring loaded lead units do much more than just a plain lead slug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12ga mercury filled compensator

where to get a shotgun recoil pad installed in overland park kansas

where to get recoil pad installed in overland park kansas