1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy a pellet counting tray?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by omahasportingsupply, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

0   0   0

I have seen pictures of them before, but last weekend I got to play with one. Where can reloader get one of these at a reasonable price? Most places don't list them on their web site. I could see where this could be a tool when reloading since I have lurked (Tron's term for it) on many threads debating volume vs. weight of shot dropped. This would allow you to check how much shot is actually getting into the hull before crimping. Thanks for the help. Omaha

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

I got one free. It is a disposable aluminum pie pan with 100 small dimpled holes to catch the shot. And one big hole to bleed off the excess.

3. dkdevries

dkdevries TS Member

0   0   0

A poor man's pellet counter can be made with an oval-shaped, shallow, 10"x8" styrofoam tray, (I think it came with a salad at a deli) with 10 rows of 10 dimples made with a ballpoint pen in the center and a ½" wide slot about 1½" long cut at one end.

Dump the pellets to be counted on the tray and hold a finger over (under?) the slot while gently swishing the shot around to fill the dimples. When the dimples are all filled, carefully dump the remaining pellets off the tray through the slot on the end. You now have a hundred pellets on the tray. Dump them wherever you like, then repeat the process with the remaining pellets as many times as necessary while keeping track of how may hundreds you dump off the tray. The last batch of pellets to be counted can be put in the dimples then either count the filled dimples or the empty ones and subtract from a hundred whichever is easier.

A pair of tweezers is handy as you'll see if you try this.

Doug DeVries

4. Tom @ Athens

Tom @ Athens Member

0   0   0

I've got one. Made by 100 Straight in Sturgis SD. When they can get around the motorcycles. Reasonable? It's a well made heavy item. No blow molding or used pie pans here.
    Tom

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I know it's a dumb question, but are you going to load by weight or pellet count? I may be curious how many pellets there are but the variations in drop, shell to shell, certainly negate anything you're going to learn in your pellet count. Shoot well and often while we can, Bob

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

0   0   0

I'm klnda with you Bob, but it's always stumped me to weigh shot dumps that vary from one brand to the next based on the % of components in the lead. Were my soft lead pellets really that much different than a high quality, hard sample?? Mayvbe I'd like to have a counter device I could borrow occasionally but probably wouldn't pay the price for the 100 straight sample.....Bob Dodd

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

For me it is a case of curiosity, so I wouldn't be willing to buy a pellet counter.

I used a styrofoam tray from a pound of hamburger and punched 100 holes in it.

Of course, it was interesting at the time, but I didn't write down the number, and now I forget...I guess I'll just have to do it again.

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

0   0   0

I like 100 pellets in both my Goose and Duck loads, and empty primer trays are perfect: small pistol for #6 & 5, small rifle for #4 & 3, 209 for #2, 1 & BB.

I have no idea how the S.P. would work with small shot, however.

Bob

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Try www.seedburo.com. They'll have all different sizes.

10. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

0   0   0

FWIW, I've built 3 different ones, one resembled that one above, in fact almost an exact copy but only held 200. And I bought one before I started building, thinking I could improve and stop the chasing pellet thing. I was never impressed with any of them.

Then one day I was in one of my hunting buddies pharmacy and watched him count out pills, so fast he was done before I saw what he was doing. I watched him do another batch, then came home and rigged up a simple rag with a stop on one end.

Placed on a flat surface and using a knife blade, counting 10 at a time and shuffling them off to the side, I can count a 1 1/8 shell of 7 1/2's in about a minute. Haven't used those other types since.

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

0   0   0

The reason why I was looking for one is that more parents of our youth trapshooters are reloading for the first time. Most of what you have said in the above posts is very understandable to experienced loaders and shooters. Many parents are loading for the first time and well meaning people have given them some incorrect information. Some coaches only use factory shells, so may not be familiar with reloading. Since many of the parents are visual learners, they will retain a picture in their mind longer. I have found that many beginners information is contradicted by powder web sites for example. I may use a tray to help demonstrate to newer reloaders why charge bars and bushings are not exact by pulling out the digital scale and maybe a pellet counting tray. I had to laugh today at the youth shoot. A young man won a second place medal today. When I sold his dad the Downrange Wads, I was surprised to find dad loading all his son's shells on a ..... LEE LOAD ALL !!!! LOL Omaha

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The one from Bruce Bowen is the best. But I'm prejudiced because I designed it.

Neil

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

0   0   0

When I went to steel ammo, I counted pellets when developing my first loads with #7. I think I counted 10 drops shot by shot per bushing to figure out the quantities - although I shouldn't have been surprised, the shot counts were always within a pellet (maybe two). The weight was within .01 +/- ounces.

After doing it the one time, I did a couple years later (had misplaced my data and wondered if bushings wore a bit). Later I found my data - they were identical, using the same bushings - haven't done it in years... probably don't expect to again...

Why count v. weight?! Shot problems? How many time do you count shot?!

BTW, If anyone is looking for good tweezers to pick up shot - consider a "beadzer" (sic?) its a tweezer for Fly-Tyers who use beads for eyes and has indents to make picking up round balls very easy.

regards to all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
brownells pellet counting tray

pellet counter tray