1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where the hell is it all??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoldEx, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Check out this video on how they manufacture 22 rim-fire ammunition. Did not realize so much of the process was still done by hand. After watching the video, I had a very nagging question.... If they make 4,000,000 a day at this one facility, that's 20,000,000 per week assuming no weekend work right?

Figuring that there are at least two more plants in the country (one for Winchester and one for Remington) and there are likely more than one per company but we'll just assume one for each for now, and, assuming each plant is capable of producing similar numbers, that would mean that there are a minimum of 60,000,000 rounds per week of 22LR ammo being produced in the US alone. MINIMUM!! This would not take into account any of the imported ammo from Aguila, Wolf, etc. that comes in regularly.

So, since all of this B.S. panic buying started after Sandy Hook, there have been at least 500,000,000 rounds of 22 LR ammunition produced in the United States. WHERE THE HELL IS IT ALL??????

Jeff

2. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Thats very interesting, thanks for sharing.

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Ask those gun show leeches that buy it all up and then sell it at outrageous prices.

4. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Where are all the dead people? Liberal ease. Bullets = dead people

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I find it fascinating that while the powder charge is automated, priming is still done by hand.

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Thanks for posting that, I always wondered how they did it. I was surprised that they used that amount of human labor figured they would use robots, it's good the do use people robots and automation are a large part of the unemployment situation

As for the shortage, it's just people are buying more than normal

I ordered 12,500 .22 LR the day after the election, glad I did, I also stocked up on everything else, not really scared of obozo, just hedging against inflation, ammo sure has beat the he#$ out of the .7% tha banks are paying

7. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

How many tons of lead is in 500,000,000 22 bullets a 35 grs per bullet? No wonder there is a lead shortage.

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

1250 tons George.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

1428 tons with a 40 grain bullet.

Wayne

10. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can learn anything on here. Last week end at the Amarillo Gun Show, a brick of .22LR was $100. .45ACPs were a dollar a bullet.

11. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

And this morning at WalMart, Winchester 45ACP was $40 per hundred. Steer clear of the gun show clowns. They are as much a cause of any "shortage" as anything else.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The US of A ranks 1st in the world in arms and ammo exports at over $3.1 billion annually. I'd say that the rest of the world gets a lot of what we make.

Italy is number 2 with only 20% of that amount.

Keller

13. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

ntgr8 - weight the batteries in all of your vehicles and the weigh your ammo. The majority of lead produced goes into batteries with over 90% of that being recycled. There is no shortage of lead but supplies are held back sometimes just to keep the price up. They learned that from the oil industry.

14. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Should have said weight your 22 ammo as that was the subject being discussed.

15. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Here is a little video on how 22LR are made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.