1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where should I store my home defense weapons??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by need to shoot more, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Hi Guys,
    Here is my delima.. I never had firearms in the home other than in my floor safe. I want to keep a gun or two in my home,but where? M# 870 with a pistol grip and a few hand guns. Do I keep under the bed/matress?? In the nightstand and move them around the house during the day?

No issue with family members in the home. I do not want to come home one day and find my gun being pointed at me by a intruder or lose them to a good ransackin.Also how do you keep them? loaded and the chamber empty? I know a empty gun is a dumb gun.I was thinkin about hanging one in a closet.

Thank You,
    Jim

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They make a rack kind of thing that hangs off the side of your bed, I think it slides between the mattress and box spring, then the bed spread covers it when the bed is made

It would be pretty handy to have your gun right beside you if you need it

3. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

CCW Permit and carry on your person all the time .... that is how I do it.
    Bedside back-up for your pistol = http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/BedsideBackup/tabid/99/List/0/ProductID/14/CategoryID/4/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName
    BTW crossbreedholsters are one of the best!
    You can get revolvers that shoot 45s and 410s. Close quarter combat in a house is very difficult even with a pistol grip shotgun.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Put it where ever you can get at it while half asleep if someone breaks in during the night ... I keep mine between my wife and I in the bed ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ideally the gun(s) should be under your direct control or locked up in a safe. Realistically, not many people want to go through the daily routine of locking up their shooters before they leave home and then getting them out of the safe when they come back so they have hiding spots in close proximity to where they spend the most time. Under the bed isn't bad, a pistol in the nightstand/table a pistol in the end table next to the recliner .... If the time comes when you need a shooter you will need it in a big hurry so keep it close by and accessable. I know guys that have something stashed in every room.

If you're going to all the trouble of having a gun around then by all means it should be loaded. Otherwise it is just a club.

6. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

I keep a pistol in a holster I secured behind the headboard. An instructor taught me to use your pistol to fight your way to a bigger gun stashed in the closet.

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Guns can disappear quickly.

A friend lives in a neighborhood that had never had a crime. Never. Well, once there was a six-year-old who jaywalked. And once a politician came by campaigning for votes.

My friend went to the post office at the end of the street and was back to his home in less than five minutes.

The burglar was going out the back door as my friend was coming in the front door.

The burglar got a half-dozen guns. In less than five minutes total elapsed time.

The burglar was later caught, confessed to fifty burglaries, was sentenced to fifteen years minimum in a plea deal, and was back on the street in under three months.

Judge said something about prison over-crowding and non-violent crime.

The burglaries have resumed.

Anything you want to keep, you had better lock in a safe of some kind.

A touchpad lock safe next to your bed and another safe near the main door is a good idea.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Best just to keep them at my place, Having troubles deciding and all... {:

9. schneep

schneep Member

Really, if you have to ask this question, are you really qualified to own a weapon??

10. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Wherever you can reach it when asleep. And on your body at all times when not sleeping. Never leave home unarmed

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If you don't want to come home and find yourself looking down the barrel of your own gun keep them locked in a real gun safe while you are gone. Take one out and put it where you keep it at whatever time is right after you get home. Do this as a routine. Back in the safe when you leave, back out at your time of choosing when you arrive home.

12. Jdwithsc

Jdwithsc TS Member

Gunvault biometric speed safe, at home and in the office.

13. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Thank you for the responses..schlep I am qualified and at least asking questions

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"If you don't want to come home and find yourself looking down the barrel of your own gun keep them locked in a real gun safe while you are gone. Take one out and put it where you keep it at whatever time is right after you get home. Do this as a routine. Back in the safe when you leave, back out at your time of choosing when you arrive home."</i>

bidda boom

15. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

What wireguy said, LOCK THEM UP, if your not home. If you carry, you'll have one with you, on your person when you get home. Feel the need for a shotgun during the night, open the safe, but put it back in the AM. Guns that can be easily stolen, give all gun owners a blace eye. If you ever seen a ran-sack burglary, well they don't miss much. Under the mattress takes all of about 30 seconds to find. F/S

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Here's another vote for keeping guns in a safe - a REAL one, too, not some wannabe tin box.

For me to have a gun located where I can reach it when I'm asleep, as Bob suggested, it would have to be in my dreams as I doubt I can do much of anything while I'm asleep.

Seriously, let's play out a break-in scenario. A bad guy who is wide awake enters your bedroom. A gun that is in a closet, drawer or other place that requires you to first wake up and then come to your senses enough to realize what's going on is too far way. So the bad guy is going to check the only place left that can be a threat to him, your bed. That way, he will already have your gun before you go through the wake-up routine.

Keep the damned thing in your safe. Several years ago, I read in a law enforcement journal that due to the increased penalties in terms of jail time for breaking and entering with a firearm as opposed to without one, most B&E guys are unarmed when they enter a home.

Of course, if you live in a ghetto, all bets are off.

Ed

17. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Some law enforcement say that burglars are divided into two distinct groups.

One is the professional burglars who do not carry any weapons, look for the minimum resistance and work interference, and minimum penalty if caught.

But there is increasingly the gang and drug warriors who are a very serious physical threat to all.

As the potential victims, we do not get to choose which one visits us or our loved ones.

18. Claysmoke27

Claysmoke27 Member

They make very strong magnets that can attached under tables, behind headboards and nightstand tops etc.that will hold a hand gun. They are easily acessable and can be put in places that would be highly unlikely to be found.
    The only time I ever pulled a gun on someone was from an old holster screwed under the top of a desk. Drew it, racked the slide on that 1911 and he was out the door pronto.

19. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I like wall hanger racks well within reach. Like put my feet on the floor and reach up. Keep the nicer guns in a locked safe and my HD guns close by. Keep lots of ammo stashed around the house and some hanging on the rack itself.

20. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

OH yea loaded but nothing chambered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.