1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is your bird dog?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mooshkat, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I am thinking of getting a bird dog next spring, i already have a cocker in the house, so i would like it to be an outside dog, really dont want anymore inside dogs at all. Where do you fellas keep your dogs, inside or out. This dog will be for upland birds only, as in pheasants, grouse, dont duck or goose hunt. I am still undecieded on the breed, too many to choose from, do some make better outside dogs than others? Also i live in NE wi. and it gets cold here and sometimes lots of snow, so i would put up a kennel with some type of heated dog coop.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

My bird dogs sleep under the covers of my bed with me and usually use my arm as a pillow.

3. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Mine is right here watching the series.

jim brown

4. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Mine is under some dirt in a field.
    I have not replaced him yet, but he was an outdoor dog like the rest Ive owned.
    I have a large dog shed/house thats insulated/heated/bedding pillows with their own dog door of course where they stay warm in the winter & cool in the summer.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You needn't expect much cooperation from your dog that you stick out in a kennel like a lawnmower in the garage until you decide to cut the grass. It will have it's genetics but genetics don't cover cooperation wise for the lack of daily communication with you.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have an insulated kennel in my shop with an exterior kennel run outside. Both dogs have a 5' x 10' exterior run. The exterior kennel is concrete sloped to a catch basin connected to it's own septic line. The doors are plastic/ aluminum "flop" doors that seal up the kennels. They keep bugs out in the summer and wind out in the winter. If the kennels are insulated good the dogs will keep themselves warm. Their own body heat will keep them warm. Inside the shop, I have solid doors in the winter and mesh doors in the summer. When it's real hot, I may run fans by the mesh doors to give them some air. Works pretty slick. I have a unit heater inside the kennel room if it gets close to Zero in the winter. PM me if you want drawings.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My lil French Brittany gurl is laying here beside me right now. I agree with wireguy, if you want a real partner at all times, no outside jail for my dog ever again! She brings her food bowl to me when she's finished her meal so I can fill it up again in case she gets the munchies. At bed time, she hops into her spot at the foot of my bed. Best little bird dog I've ever been owned by! Hap

8. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I agree with "wireguy". Rick ~~~Texas

9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Here's my two bird dogs looking for some ducks.

[​IMG]

10. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Sleeps in a kennel in our bedroom, rides with Coach to work every day and hangs out in his office/shop then again home, and retrieves loose items to a pile in the living room all evening.

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Setter and pointer as daily living companions. Come November, excellent hunting companions.

12. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

The best dogs come from the kitchen, not the kennel.

HBT

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I'm with Hap and Wireguy. Alder spends the day under the plan table and in his prime could read my mind. He knew what I was going to do before I did it. When I thought to myself, 'think I'll go get a coffee up the street', he was up and moving before I took a step. In the field when I thought an area looked good, he was heading in there. Unfortunately I need to get another Brittany as he's 15 1/2 and he hunted for 14 years. Great times, great memories. Best wishes, Bob

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

In saving me time, refer to what wireguy, Hap, sarge, and the Marine have already stated. My sentiments exactly. And my lawyer loves my buddy...

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

My springer sleeps in a dog area in the garage attached to the house with a space heater. Dog houses are outside, so she has a choice with the doggy door. Comes in the house occassionally, but likes the outdoors. So. CA. does not get very cold. Fred

16. skeezix

skeezix Member

My weim (who has never hunted a day in her life) is under the covers keeping my wife warm. My lab/pointer is on top of the covers keeping himself warm and his people close.

If i'm up early he is up checking things out. If it even remotely looks like a field day he is at the door and ready to go. If he figures out I'm just putzing and getting ready to go to work, he's back upstairs asleep on the bed.

He's worthless as a bird dog - he has the water and retrieving instincts of a pointer and the nose of a lab. But he's my buddy and he goes where I go. He'll follow me across any river, field, what have you. Pretty much the old, behind you in battle, ahead of you in retreat deal.

He is a handsome devil though. Kind of a jet black pointer with a lab face.

john

17. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Mine are long gone. If I get another, I'd like a small female Setter and she will definately be a house dog. I used to keep mine in a pen, I feel bad about that now and will never do it again.

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have six wirehairs. They don't live in the house with me. In fact, even though I love dogs, I don't like animals in the house. I keep mine paired up in three kennels. My yard is fenced. In the morning and in the evening I let them all out to run together and do any training I want to do. Dogs like routine. Stick to it and they are happy. I have brought one of them in the house from time to time. They always seem anxious to get back out. I think a dog that lives outdoors can handle the extremes in weather better than a dog that lives in a comfortable house at room temperature all the time. I don't see any difference in hunting performance. All my dogs consider me their loving master and they all want to please me. The only time they are upset is when I take one of them duck hunting. The rest always know they are being left behind on the hunt and they are pissed off. On upland bird hunts they all get to go and everyone is happy.

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

We have a 14 year-old German shorthair pointer. He is a great hunter (as long as the quarry is something to eat or a place to lay down), helps with my reloading and proof-reads my articles.

Ed

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The wife does not like dogs in the house. They can however come into the gun room anytime they wish, and they like it there.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.