1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the Rimfire Ammo ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ipscmaster, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

Does anyone know what is "REALLY" going on with the rimfire ammo? Why arent the Manufacturers speaking up with explanations? Is the Government buying it all up and if so Why.....?
    ipscmaster

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would love to know the truth on that one as well IPSCmaster.

If this is truly just a hoarding thing then you would think we would see some ammo popping up on at the wholesaler level at least now and then. But that isn't the case as far as I know. I'm not in contact with that many wholesalers but the ones I do know are telling me that new shipments are six months out - and these guys have been truthful with me in the past. So who is getting the 4 millon rounds of CCI rimfire that is supposedly being manufactured every day?

On the other hand if we look at the numbers, if just 1% of our population decided they needed to buy as much ammo and firearms as possible because of possible near term infringments on their 2A rights, that would be about 3.5 million hoarders. If those 3.5 million new ammo hoarders each got just 1,000 rounds of .22 ammo that would be 3.5 Billion rounds of .22 ammo disappearing from the market or about 875 days of CCI ammo production. So I guess the hoarding explanation is plausible.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I suspect it's just a hoarding thing. I got an old army buddy who's asked me to load some .30-06 ammo for him, I told him that I'm not in the buisness but as a favor to an old friend I'd reload up to 200 rds if he'd ship me the empty cases so now he's hitting up all his friends down in Florida to come up with 200 empty cases. I don't think this guy's fired a shot in YEARS but all of a sudden he wants a bunch of ammo?

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I think it is just hoarding too the day after the election I ordered a bunch of .22 ammo and it was back ordered then, but I got it in two weeks

The main reason I ordered at the time was just a hedge on inflation it was just a couple years ago well PO (preonumbnuts) that a brick was $9 something, then $15 then the stuff I got was $21, so I ordered 12,500 rnds, we shoot a bunch of it when it warms up

They can only make it so fast

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I see the scenario Doggai is talking about with several guys that I work with. These are they kind of guys that do a bit of hunting in the fall and own a rifle and a shotgun or two but don't shoot much beyond hunting. Now all of a sudden they are buying handguns and trying to find pistol ammo because they need it for self defense. The panic is very much alive around here.

When they ask me if I would sell them my pistol ammo I respond by asking them why they think their old duck gun or deer rifle isn't up to the task of self defense. Then I ask them what do you think you could shoot better, your new pistol or your old long gun?

I'm not saying the handgun doesn't have a role in self defense but the truth is they aren't nearly as effective as a full power long gun.

6. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Salesman at Gander told me the other day that all of guys are buying it up to shoot in their 10-22's and .22 caliber AR's and saving the .223 for when the $hit hits the fan.

I personally think people are just buying all the rimfire and AR ammo and are just sitting on it.

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

It's hoarding. I went to buy some match ammo ($1500-2000/case) a month ago and my dealer said people were so desparate they were even pulling the good stuff off the shelves.

8. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I emailed a CCI rep since I can't find CCI standard velocity 22 ammo. He blamed it on hoarding. He cited shows such as Doomsday Preppers where they advocate having 100,000 rounds on hand.

Sort of begs the question as to where they are getting 100,000 rounds.

As an aside Able Ammo had CCI standard velocity available today for the price of $24.95 for a box of 50. That's only about 10 times the regular price. They will NEVER get any of my business.

9. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I just came in from shooting my Colt//walther Gold Cup .22 as opposed to the Springfield RO .45, but if the 22 stuff keeps going the way it is,I can shoot my .45reloads for about the same price as the .22 ammo. Crazy!

Steve

10. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Was down at Cabelas in Union Gap buying more Artic Winter Gear and they had just put out some Blazer 9mm at $15. a box of 50, was actually brass case so we bought 3 boxes each. Seems like they had alot of ammo but at "Cabelas Prices". No 22 ammo at all.

11. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Just had a phone conversation with Dean Bright Sun Set Dist. Dean said the big box stores are getting most of the 22 ammo. Probably wont see much 22 ammo on the store shelves until the panic is over. Maybe this fall.

Last weekend I was in Miles City Montana at the Wall mart store and bought six bulk packs of Remington Golden Bullets. Just to have some shooter ammo.

As a Collector of 22 vintage ammo I have a good supply more than three hundred bricks and eight cases. Another 60000 rounds of gallery shorts. If the panic continues my 22 ammo collection might be my best retirement plan.

The Tulsa Gun Show is coming up the first of April. As a exhibitor I will be talking to the ammo dealers there and get there input and report back.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A sales person at my local Gander Mountain said they get ammo in once per week on Wednesday night. He said there are from 50 to 75 guys waiting in line at 8:00 AM (store opens at 8:30 AM) and they make a mad dash to the gun department where the ammo is set out on a large table. Limit is 10 boxes per customer. Not sure that I want to participate.

Jim Skeel<br>Central Indiana

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Local fleet & farm store says people who see new rimfire ammo on the shelf, just load their carts and it's gone in a short time.

(The 22 bird shot seems to hang around, though.)

HM

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

In an on line publication I receive Federal indicated that they were running the .22 ammo production 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with no sales to the govt.

15. vhntr1

vhntr1 Member

With all the talk of a tax on ammo I don't think it will end soon.

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

This will bear out the mention of people who never shot a gun suddenly wanting to own one.

I belong to several gun clubs, one of which is an indoor handgun range a mile from my home. A requirement to become a member is to attend the monthly meeting at which your application will be voted on and demonstrate at least some level of proficiency with a firearm on the range. At January's meeting, there were so many applicants that the live fire portion of the approval process had to be held over several evenings.

The scenario was even more overwhelming at February's meeting. So much so that for the first time in the club's long history, membership was closed for 2013 after that meeting. Any new applications are being held for 2014 when they will have an opportunity to replace non-renewing members.

Another smallish outdoor club lists its new members in its quarterly newsletter, usually in one paragraph at the end of the one-page newsletter. Their first-quarter newsletter arrived the other day and the list required a second page.

More people joining us as gun owners should be a good thing. The bad part (to me, anyway) is the number of these new shooters who bought 9mm or 40-caliber semi-automatic handguns and seem to only want to learn how to empty the magazine as fast as possible instead of first acquiring sighting and trigger control skills on bullseye targets. They shoot at life-size silhouette targets from seven yards and get maybe half of the rounds anywhere on the silhouette and darned few in a vital area. If they ever fired upon an intruder in their home, many of their rounds would penetrate the wall behind that intruder, possibly injuring or killing a family member or, in the case of a frame exterior wall, a neighbor.

If several of those new members are using a range, it sounds like a war is being fought and damage to the target frames on the outdoor ranges and walls and ceilings of the indoor ranges has increased remarkably. One of the clubs outlawed fully-automatic firearms years ago for those reasons and knowing its ultra-conservative board of directors, a similar restriction on autoloaders could be in the club's future.

Several of us "regulars" try to politely "coach" those new members and encourage them to learn to shoot accurately before trying to learn to shoot rapid-fire but we get a lot of "go away old man, you bother me" looks.

Ed

17. jimctrap

jimctrap Member

So where are the hoarders buying the 22lrs no on line back orders .none at wal mart dicks bass pro gander or small gun shops

18. 88oliver

88oliver Member

Where is the Rimfire Ammo ? simple answer its on gunbroker for sale , there was 553 listings for sale alittle while ago , gander in mankato said they have been getting shipments every week and same guys show up and buy it

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I think that's a pretty fair prediction Rick

20. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Ammo prices will drop?

Only if the proposed ammo taxes and the upcoming EPA anti-lead "scientific results" don't make the prices skyrocket.

This is not just about supply and demand....this is about ammo being targeted as a means of dissuading people from the shooting sports...

There is a focused, well financed, media promoted ANTI-GUN AGENDA that is driving all ammo issues....this is not about hoarding, but about the dedicated extreme left-wing zealots trying to destroy the Second Amendment.....

If Obama would have lost the election, there would be plenty of .22 ammo available....Period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.