1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the clamor - other deaths

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BIGDON, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Where is the clamor for deaths from other trajic sources.

1. Drunk driving - kills 12,000+ annually with over 1,400 being children under age 14.

2. Medical Marpractice - Over 220,000 deaths annually due to medical mistakes by doctors and hospitals.

Just Google and the numbers will shock you.

The public seems to accept these numbers as normal but a gun trajedy and they are in an uproar. WHY?????????

Don

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I see what you're getting at Don, but in the new dumbed-down America guns are evil, period. It doesn't matter how statistics on actual deaths compare to those from other causes. "If we can save the life of just ONE child..." Unintended consequences don't matter either (i.e. criminals running rampant once people are defenseless). And as far as drunk driving goes, politicians are notorious boozers and they certainly aren't going to pass laws affecting their own vices. Besides, they get contributions to keep their mouths shut on that.

-Gary

3. 548

548 Guest

Perhaps they are in an uproar because they feel military grade assault weapons solely designed to kill people should not be accessible to the public.

In fact, since only 4 million of the 133 million gun owners are NRA members, I suggest to you that most gun owners feel the same way.

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

This is not about the children Don, it's about guns, and any and all guns. Make no mistake about that. The NRA made many good comments and suggestions and look what the press and politicians have done with it.

5. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

548- you are an anti-gun troll. Why do you come to this site?

6. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

It's about intent Don.

A surgeon picks up a deadly scalpel and uses it to heal. It doesn't always go as planned and we get medical deaths. No intent to harm.

A drunk driver doesn't get in his car with the intent of killing someone, it's a byproduct of his altered state and grounds for punishment.

If a person chooses to hurt or kill someone and picks up a gun that's intent to harm.

Intent is a basic legal premise. If you can't see that not very subtle distinction well.......

7. 548

548 Guest

Model 12 - I'm not anti gun at all. I own many many guns. I carry a .40 cal Glock and an assault rifle as a condition of employment. I am extremely proficient with all of them. I spend thousands of dollars a year bankrolling my son and I's trapshooting hobby. Which brings me to this site.

Unlike many of the most vocal on this site, I don't feel a gun is a gun is a gun. The prevailing winds on this site would suggest you are pro gun or anti gun - it's all or nothing - no in between. I am here to tell you that I am part of the 129 million gun owners who don't subscribe to the "all or nothing" NRA message being touted by the 4 million NRA members. I don't feel the general public should have access to military grade assault weapons designed to kill lots of people very quickly.

8. Model Number 12

548, then why do you write like one? The AR rifle that you are advocating to surrender to the gun haters today will be the Model 12 tomorrow. Anti-gun forces have recognized that the time-tested strategy of divide and conquer will allow them to enlist the aid and advocacy of self-described "reasonable" gun owners who foolishly believe that their particular style of gun is "safe" because it doesn't look scary.

As far as your "military grade" description, that thinking could be applied to every past service rifle all the way back to the Henry and Spencer repeaters. The gun-haters will, however, leave those be because they don't look scary, right?

9. rustygun

rustygun Member

If gun owners continue to compare auto deaths to gun deaths maybe we should do the same with guns that we do with cars.

Require testing before you get a learners permit, Testing to get a license to operate, having a minimum amount of insurance on each firearm, having a saftey inspection on each firearm yearly, paying a license on each individual firearm yearly, having to renew your personal license every x number of years with an eye test.

I don't want that, but I'll bet that would sound good to the anti-gun crowd.

10. 548

548 Guest

Model 12 - your argument that the eventual move will be to ban all guns is an argument often cited by the 4 million. I guess it is as simple as this, I am part of the 129 million who disagree with that assertion. Nothing further to argue about; we simply disagree.

11. Model Number 12

What guarantees do you have that the gun-haters will go away to Happyland after everybody (except the criminals) has given up their rifles? What makes you think they will stop there?

What will you do when these same gun-haters demand your trap gun?

I have had the discomfort of being in the company of genuine gun-hating people.
    I learned alot about the motives and mentality of the anti-gun movement just by listening to them. They hate ALL guns and have a utopian belief that if they ban all gun ownership then all will be well in the world. They do not not the difference between an AR-15 and a BT-99, nor do they care.

12. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

Thgis is mot about the guns it is the power the libs want. If you load all of your guns with the saftey off and lay them on a table how many people will be killed with them in the next ten years? The guns become a deadly weapon when a human picks one of them up. We need to adress the human part of these shootings not the guns. No full auto gun was used in any of the shootings I see the laws have worked.

13. 100straight

100straight Member

We all know WHY 548 is here. A better question might be WHY IS HE ALLOWED TO REMAIN? I know members that have been warned, and even kickout out of TS.com for much less.

Mark

14. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

548 sadly your view is what got Great Britain and Australia the gun laws they now enjoy. People such as you always think you are in a majority when in fact you are not. You also refuse to acknowledge facts that support the simple things such as the 1994 assault weapons ban did absolutely nothing. People as you are always in favor of supporting laws that are good ONLY for the mentally stable law abiding citizen. Ya just don't get it that those that break the laws simply think you are making things better for them. I thank God every day I am not as you nor have the warped view that you carry. Honestly, it makes you look just dam stupid.

15. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

[​IMG]

Please tell me the difference between an AR-15 type rifle and the Browning Semi-auto.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You stated:

"I don't feel the general public should have access to military grade assault weapons designed to kill lots of people very quickly."

Why then do you need them as a "condition of your employment"?

What does the 2nd Amendment mean??

Are you a paid member of the ATA? Where is it you shoot trap?

17. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Before another word about assault weapons I'm going to ask a simple question does anybody know exactly what kind of gun was used. You are in for a surprise?, not that it will lessen the impact of what happened

18. 548

548 Guest

What guarantees do you have that the gun-haters will go away to Happyland after everybody (except the criminals) has given up their rifles?

- There are no guarantees in life except that life will eventually end. I spend no time worrying about something I do not think will happen.

What will you do when these same gun-haters demand your trap gun?

- Join the NRA. :)

19. Model Number 12

548, what makes you so sure that the NRA would want you as a member after admitting that you are advocating to ban the guns of others just because you don't like them.

Not only are you a troll, you're a selfish one at that. Merry Christmas.

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

548 says.

"Perhaps they are in an uproar because they feel military grade assault weapons solely designed to kill people should not be accessible to the public"

Military grade assualt weapons are fully automatic. I didn't know the general public could buy full auto AR15's!!!!!

"In fact, since only 4 million of the 133 million gun owners are NRA members, I suggest to you that most gun owners feel the same way."

So tell us do the other 129 millon own others type of firearms. If so you are telling us that it is OK to just protect your prefered type of firearms. After all you only own non-assault weapons. Therefore you assume that you have a right to decide just what type of firearms everyone will own.

You say you are not against guns at all. You say because you own many, many guns. Yet your agenda is the same as all those that are screaming ban assault weapons now. So please tell us how you are any different than those that wish to ban these firearms??? Just because you own guns. I and many others don't think that you are any different than the liberals that do. Rightly so if you support the right to own a firearm, that include all firearms. Not just the ones YOU choose to support just because you own them.

944 says.

"If a person chooses to hurt or kill someone and picks up a gun that's intent to harm."

You sir are incorrect if a person gets drunk and insists on operating a motor vehicle when they understand there are laws against it. That also is intent. The act of intent is choosing to break the law what ever the outcome. As far as I am concerned they are one and the same.

That is a true about the 1994 assualt wapons ban. That is of course in light of the fact that in the

"Incidents of mass murder in the U.S. declined from 42 in the 1990s to 26 in the first decade of this century."

Interesting to note the 90's had 6 years of the assault weapons ban the first decade of this century had 4 years of it, So I will ask just what did the 1994 assualt weapons ban do????

"People as you are always in favor of supporting laws that are good ONLY for the mentally stable law abiding citizen"

So could you explain how outlawing/banning assault weapons will be good for mentally ill people??? You allow the situation with the lack of treatmeant for those that are mentally ill to continue. Yet you think that it is fine to punish 4,000,000 people (the ones that 548 is talking about) because a few whackos are not being treated for an existing mental illness!!!!!

rustygun says.

"paying a license on each individual firearm yearly, having to renew your personal license every x number of years with an eye test."

Where do you live that you must pay for a license for each individual car yearly????

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.