1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is our money going?? Check it out.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GunDr, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

At this site, you can click your own state and see what "shovel ready" projects will get funding when the "pelosi" hits the fan.

As the site moderators continue to go through the 1000's of pages, the site will continue to update.

http://www.stimuluswatch.org/

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

When I was an engineering student (University of Louisville Speed Scientific School) back in the 1960’s, I remember a class in civil engineering in which the professor had been a student during the Great Depression. The professor remarked that one of the goals of the New Deal Works Progress Administration (WPA) was to put people to work immediately on projects that would have a benefit to the community.

The professor specifically mentioned bridges and overpasses and asked the class to drive around Louisville, Kentucky and identify as many of the bridges and overpasses as it could. The professor then had the class walk about a quarter of a mile to a railroad bridge over 3rd. Street that was built by the WPA. He pointed out an inscription in the concrete that said WPA and the date built. Well, the class located several bridges or overpasses that were built by the WPA. To this day, I remember that class every time I pass under one of those old overpasses.

The professor explained that the engineering school had for years had students prepare plans for bridges and overpasses as class assignments and that these plans had remained on file. Although the Great Depression was unfortunate for many, the availability of WPA funding made many of these plans a reality.

In sum, people were put to work and the community has benefited for over 70 years from this one time investment.

To be fair, the bridges and overpasses of the 1930’s were a lot less complex than today’s bridges and overpasses and I bet that approval process, acquisition of land, etc. was a lot simpler but the idea is the same.

As a taxpayer, I hope that many of the “put people to work projects” in the new stimulus bill provide a long term benefit to their communities.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.