1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is Missip. State shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pjb, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjb

pjb TS Member

A member at our club wants to shoot the Mississippi and wants to know
    what club (Where) its held at.

Thanks Dave B

2. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

The April 2008 issue of Trap & Field magazine lists the host club for the Mississippi State Shoot as the Capitol Gun Club, located in Jackson, MS.

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Four? Can't be true, out of staters can't shoot?

4. magic

magic Member

What happened to Corinth?

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

For some reason they voted to have it at Jackson, and yes they have only 4 or 5 traps. I don't see how they will possibly have enough traps to hold the shoot. Word on the street is a few locals got in power and wanted in their own back yard. Aso heard there is a lot of discontent within the ranks on the decision. If I was planning to shoot it, I would DEFINITLY plan on presquadding!

6. bkms

bkms Member

Capitol Rod and Gun club phone number is 601-362-0653. I am not a trap shooter but have shot at Capitol in the past and would guess they have at least 5 trap/skeet fields and one zz bird field. Call them and talk to Jerry. Jerry and many others are great guys.

7. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

the shoot was moved to Capitol Gun Club after a Jackson shooter, who was drinking heavily thought it should be in Jackson at Capitol. Its true Capitol has but 5 fields. If one is kept open for practice, that leaves just the 4 fields for the events. Mississippi shooters are being given first considerations for the shoot. At the meeting it was decided that not enough state shooters were present as Corinth is so far from some shooters and jackson is centrally located. Apparantly the Capitol shooters dont really care about out of state shooters and plans for this to be a STATE SHOOT. Go figure.
    At the 2007 shoot
    we had just about 40 Mississippi shooters at Corinth with the remainder from all over. Capitol Gun Club is in dire financial trouble and needs the money. Gene Schneck, trap chairman, does a good job of trying to make she trap shoots successful, but he is the only trap shooter on a nine man board of directors..the others being skeet shooters...if they shoot at all. You out of staters should contact Schneck for openings. There probably will not be 50 state shooters in attendence. If you are succesful in getting a spot, come on down and have some fun. A few years back, Capitol hosted the La STATE SHOOT. Again...go figure. Capitol wants your money. If you come, be wary of the Skeet Shooting Boad of directors. If one bites you, there aint no vaccine in the state that will save you. Personally, I hope you come and the shoot will be full. By the way. there is a move among the skeet shooters at Capitol for them to join the ATA, shoot at least 100 targets, and attend this years state meeting so they can vote to keep the shoot there for 2009. They NEED the money.
    AINT MISSISSIPPI POLITICS GREAT????

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, there aren't but 100 - 150 active shooters in the whole state? I sure did have a good time in Corinth when the state shoot was hosted by the Rickmans. I will not attend the shoot in Jackson.

9. romie

romie Active Member

I am a mississippi trap shooter .Corinth is a beautiful place to shoot from what I hear but a long way from a center of the state matter a fact it is in the far northeast end of the state.Jackson is a very nice place to shoot with great people approx two hours for just about anyone in the state.

10. BAP

BAP TS Member

I have shot the Mississippi state shoot at 5 different locations and have had a great time at all of them. Jackson used to have the pullers come from a sorority at Miss. State and they were worth the trip just to look at in my younger days before I was married. Starkville was fun as was the Don Casey's old club at Corinth. Pontotoc was a pleasure and very accommodating. Rickman's in Corinth is a great location with plenty of parking and RV spots. Larry runs a good shoot and is the place if you want the shoot to grow however I understand that the shoot is for the Mississippi shooters and they need to do what they feel is best for themselves. I'll support it regardless of where it is held. Bill Parson Jr.

11. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

First off I am not from Miss. and it is up to them to decide where the shoot will be. That being said, the problem will be that there is NO WAY Jackson is big enough to hold a state shoot now! It was hard enough to hold it at Starkville. If several out of state shooters show up and are turned away, it will be the death neal for the Miss. state shoot which had become a very nice shoot. I shot at Jackson often when we lived in La. and it is nice "little" club, but if anybody thinks it will accomidate the state shoot and the shooters from out of state that attend, they are living in a dream world. It is my understanding that the skeet shooters have taken it over now, and that certainly won't help matters. It appears that they only want a few locals showing up(if it remains there that is all that wind up shooting anyway) and efforts are under way to keep it that way.That is NOT good for the future of the Miss. State shoot. If it stays in Jackson, it will become the smallest state shoot in the nation in no time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.