1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where in Va is there a Cow Butcher????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bawana, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Looking for a butcher that will or can cut up a cow. I'm in Charlottesville, Va. There were a number of places in the vally but have closed. Does anyone know of some that are close? thanks.

2. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

This is the only list I have, but it's old. John

Linthicum Custom Slaughtering, 5814 Sudley Road, Manassas, Va. 20109.
    Tel.: (703) 754-4364.

Manassas Frozen Foods, 9414 Main Str., Manassas, Va. 20110.
    Tel.: (703) 368-2131.

Mullins Slaughter House, Highway 849, Stuarts Draft, Va. 24477.
    Tel.: (540) 337-1566.

Yates Abattoir, Rr 5 Box 186, Luray, Va. 22835.
    Tel.: (540) 778-2123.

Rollins Meat Processing, Orange, Va., Tel.: (540) 672-5177.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Out of curiosity I did a quick search and found the Virginia Yellow Pages by city. I did find the entry for the first listing above by entering "butcher" in the business "category" text box; "slaughterhouse" produced no returns. You may be able to locate what you need by searching any city near you.

Linthicum Custom Slaughtering
    5814 Sudley Rd Manassas VA 20109
    703-754-4364

Morgan

4. ledbet

ledbet Member

Mullins in Stuarts Draft are good people and do good work with meat processing.
    Foshini's is located just south of Greenville and they also do a great job. They have the best Italian sausage you will ever eat!!

Bill in Waynesboro

5. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Thanks. I think I have what I need now. I have a cow that has gone through a fence 3 times now. He is out some place and I have no other choice but to shoot him where he stands. He see's someone and run's like hell. I can't have him get in the road and hurt someone. Thanks for the info.

6. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

contact the state department of agriculture.

It licenses the facilities and can gie you the information you need.

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Here in Oregon we refer to cows as hers not hims. Steers or bulls would be consider hims or beef, or perhaps bovine. FD

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Family Butcher Shop
    722 Rio Rd W
    Charlottesville, VA 22901
    (434) 975-1430

Where do you purchase you shotguns and ammo from. If it is from a local sporting goods store why not stop in there or call them and ask or see if any butchers have advertising or such for processing dear.

You could also call your local farm supply stores and ask them if they know of any or better yet call your county health department or your local FDA office. A butcher shop must be inspected and the local county or local FDA people must do the inspections.

Also ask whoever your getting the cow from or if you already own the bovine then you can just ignore asking who your going to buy the cow from.

9. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

lumper thanks but the phone number does not work and the address comes up with nothing. I guess they are closed. 722 Rio Rd if I remember right is a hardware store or a shampoo shop for ladies.

10. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Update. I got a call at 1:30 am Wed night. A cow was out and the cops were in the drive way. I asked what size it was and he said full grown. I thought it was one of the renters cows but it turned out to be the one that ran through the 5 wire fence and ran like hell. Yes it is a wild calf. I was set to shoot it because because this is the third time it went through a fence. I could not have it running around in the road and hurt someone if hit by a car. To my surprise it wanted back in with the other cows. At first when the other cows were unloaded it did not like the invasion and ran through the fence. Now that he is with the other cows it has settled down some so I just might wait till spring and sell it and not butcher it. If it goes through the fence again well I have meat in the freezer. Thanks for all the info.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I don't know! I'll run down to Virginia and find one for you!....Hockey Puck!

12. nicky

nicky Member

Horse trader becareful about shooting the calf then taking it to the butcher. Here in Pa. the local butcher's will not take a cow that is already down. That's because of the "mad cow disease" they are not allowed by law to take down'd cows , if you kill it, you may as well as figure on that you are also going to butcher it.

13. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Nicky, good point. I forgot about the mad cow stuff. I will check on it Mon. Thanks.

14. trapdaddy

trapdaddy TS Member

I have used two butchers near you. ONe is Dale Blackburn, Buckingham, VA on Troublesome Creek Road. (Between Buckingham Courthouse and Rt 20).
    The other, Shrock's, is further south in Gladys, VA. They can vacuum pack the meat.
    Might also try Peak's Slaughterhouse located on 501 South of Lynchburg. I haven't used them yet.
    Like the other poster warned-needs to be alive and standing.
    Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

buckingham va meat processing

places to have cow butchered in va

rollins meat processing orange va

slauterhouses in luray va