1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHERE IN THE ATA RULE BOOK.......?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ontariogal, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Folks, I know it is a well-known and respected practice amongst us that no-one other than the scorer and possibly a ref. during shoot-offs - (no parent, no coach, etc.) - is to be on the field or anywhere near the trapline when competitors are on the line during a registered event.

But can anyone point me towards the section of the ATA rule book where this is written?

Thanks,
    b.

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't think that it is so written but it should come under the scope of disrupting the harmony of the squad, which is not allowed.

Ed Yanchok

3. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

As a scorer over the past 30 years, I will not allow anyone other than club management on the field during a registered shoot. The rule I use is the one stated by the previous thread. Also, if there's alot of noise on the bench 5 yards behind the the 27 yard line, I'll stop that also. Since most of the people who attend our shoots are shooters, they certainly understand the harmony of the shoot. Darrell

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Darrell really has control of the situation... keep the noise down from behind the shooters [with or without a fence line]. As a scorerer you have control of the button and can request shoot managment to keep the crowd quiet. Fred

5. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I can kinda see where Darrell is coming from.......

BUT

As a shooter if something IS NOT BOTHERING me or other shooters on the line,

And

a bird is called for and not released

BECAUSE

the SCORE KEEPER is bothered bt it..............

HASN'T the score keeper done the shooters WRONG?

AL

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If the scorekeeper can't clearly hear the call because of distraction noises wouldn't you want the the noise to stop?

Eric

7. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

"We don't need no more stinkin' rules"! Humor aside, the "rule" book is finite and not intended or even possible to cover every possible situation that could arise.

8. atashooter

atashooter Member

Squad Leader ( has minor duties ), then the scorer, shoot management, state delegate. Thats the order. Score keeper is the Law on the field ( unless the score keeper requests a second official to be present on the field ). The others above that, has to be appealed to.

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Mike Michalski

"Humor aside, the "rule" book in finite and not intended or even possible to cover every possible situation that could arise."

Mike I kind of disagree with your statement as evidenced by other threads on this site at this time. where the rulebook is very clear on certain and other seem to think that what is in black and white are wrong or need to be altered.

Bob Lawless

10. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I have had several situations where during active shooting, a coach or parent will walk up to their "shooter" and offer coaching and advice, OR even try to force the use of SCTP or AIM rules against other junior shooters during an ATA event.

While I am leading a squad this will not be tolerated, rule or no rule. I will stop the squad and inform the interloper that they are not to enter the field again, or I will have their "shooter" DQ'd for disrupting the harmony of the shoot. Then I ask the puller/scorer to keep any non shooter off the field.

11. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Ontariogal,
    You mention parent in your question. This leads me to believe that we are talking about an SCTP shooter. I believe that the old SCTP rules prohibited any coaching once an event started. This was not an ATA rule. What is the reason for the question? This information might help get you better answers.

12. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Bob Lawless, You quoted my deleted statement. The corrected one says "...the rule book IS finite...". My meaning was in the explanation that the book simply can't specifically cover every possible situation that can come up when humans complete. That's what referees and shoot management are for. Sorry if I caused confusion.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Referees and shoot management have to abide by the current rule book. They cannot be allowed to make up the rules as they go along. HMB

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Mike Michalski

"You quoted my deleted statement. The corrected one says"

"Sorry if I caused confusion."

Mike I think I need to apologize to you as I can't find any deleted statement of yours. If it was deleted how could I quote it? There are two posts by you in this thread that is all.

I am sorry if I caused any confusion.

I read your post correctly and said.

"the rulebook is very clear on certain and other seem to think that what is in black and white are wrong or need to be altered."

As evidenced by the previous posters response.

Bob Lawless

15. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A rule...

Where has common sense gone?

If I'm sitting in the chair at a shoot, no one not shooting will be on the field. You don't need a rule for that. I would not care if it was not in the rule book.

Those off the field who are interfering will be asked to cease, if not, shoot management will be called to deal with them.

If shoot management will not back me, they can find someone else to sit in the chair and I would have to think twice about attending shoots at the club in the future!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.