1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where does your gun balance?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 682 Adam, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682 Adam

682 Adam TS Member

I was just wondering if you guys payed much mind to the balance point of your guns...ive just changed stock and forends on my mx200 and checked the point of balance to find it about an inch behind the hinge pin......

it will require 293grams in the forend to bring it infront of the hinge.....

2. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Shooting a mounted gun, balance is not that important, Weight toward the front of the gun and moment of inertia are more important...SMOKIT

3. Maurice

Maurice Member

The balance of any gun should be half way between the shooters hands and not at a particular point on the gun. Each person holds a gun differently and the balance should be between the hands. Maurice ( The Brit. )

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Mine balances well on my shoulder.

GneJ

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I will go further than SMOKIT and say that in a pre mounted game like trap, gun balance is totally irrelevant. Once the gun is on the shoulder a person can't tell if the gun is balanced or not. The only thing that matters is whether the front end is too heavy or too light. Balance only matters in a field gun.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have my four O/U's and the Unsingle set up to balance less than an inch behind the hinge pin. All my guns have reducers, as much to get the desired balance as for recoil management.Even my 10+ lb 34" Unsingle balances very well in the hands.

I prefer that my guns have balance as well as fit. Have not had the best results with guns having too much weight in the butt, or those that are too muzzle heavy. With enough practice, one can learn to shoot a badly balanced gun. Life is too short for this, especially at my age. LOL

My tournament and field guns feel good in the hands. If you want to hold a floor joist, go to Home Depot and buy one.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I balance my Trapgun at the hinge pin, that is my balance point, and it is between the shoulder and the forearm hold.

You will move a balanced gun better to the target, and it is a smoother move.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What JerryP said!

Hap

Balance is very important to arm swingers too!!

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I am more concerned about balance, walking from the gun club on league night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.