1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

where do you look

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Since you want your gun to shoot where you are looking, i'd say the reverse should also be true. No?

2. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Good ? - I am curious myself.
    Tracy - I hold the same position you do. I dont look straight in front of the barrel. I roll my eyes off the barrel just a little to the right ... and "soft focus" in the area in front of the house ... where the bird will be coming out of. One of the top shooters (forget who) who gives instruction - has a sketch of this focus zone for post 1. You might be able to locate it by searching (now that I think of it - I believe I saw it on Youtube). It isnt easy to get comfortable with - focusing in an area "not" in front of the barrel.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Look for the bird. The sooner you get that information to your brain, the sooner you will be able to hit the target. HMB

4. grntitan

tracy--your hold point on the house is very crutial to getting on the bird fast. If you are struggling to pick up on the bird you need to adjust that point. I think you misunderstood what i meant about the gun shooting where you look and it working in reverse. I do like however like how you stated "soft focused" which is what you want. You don't want to be looking down the gun as if you were rifle shooting. That will surely result in your hard right example. "bluskyshooter" above has the better phrase in his "focus zone" statement. That is more the idea i was implying. It is agreat question and i would like to hear other's input as well.

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

One eyed or two eyed shooter??

I'm two eyed and for singles hold a level gun (in non windy conditions) and soft focus out beyond the trap house so when the bird emerges I pick it up in my perriferal vision and make a short move to the target. In windy conditions I usually hold a little lower but employ the same technique.

Hope this helps.

6. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I don't look down the barrel for the bird. I hold a couple of feet above the house and "look down through the gun" for the bird. I try to start gun in the direction of the target when I see it emerge. IF I hold the gun perfectly still when I call for the target my eyes don't go back to the gun. If I move my gun, bad things happen. I heard one of my friends say that when discussing this subject with Leo ( remember this is one person remove but I feel it is accurate), on 1 and 5 he looks for the angle and according to my source, he said you would see the straight away.

7. grntitan

There are no straight aways on post 1 and 5 so an angle is what you should expect.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Where would you look if you didn't have the gun up and your only intention was to see the target as soon as it came out of the house? That is where you need to look when you are getting ready to call for a target.

Guys with really good eyes can see a whole target when it is only a foot or two out of the house. I don't get a real good picture until the target is about 10 feet out of the house - so that is the general area I look in.

9. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I used to hold down on the roof of the trap house and look just beyond the roof for the bird to appear. I am much older now and have slowed down some so I hold a high gun, parallel to the ground so I don't have as much gun movement and look out over the barrel. If you are a two eyed shooter you can still see the bird coming out of the trap house. At least I can.

10. wtjohnso

wtjohnso Member

This YouTube video?

Funny - he talks about watching others shoot as being a "free" practice round. I often volunteer for the "puller" job when we don't have voice calls out. I concentrate on my hold point, wait for someone to call and then follow the target.

I also do this while on the shooting line, waiting for my turn. I keep my eyes facing 'down range'. Although when the shooter before me misses, I sometimes think that affects my next target, I know that's concentration.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I also hold a level gun and generally look in the vicinity of the baseline of the 50yd stake for the bird.. looking beneath the gun as it were...

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

No straight aways from 1 and 5? Soft targets huh?

13. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

On the 16, I do like most people....soft focus about 10 to 15 feet out and 1/2 way between the barrel and the center of the house.

For handicap... station 1 and 2 I look slightly to the left of the center of the house at the front edge of the roof. Station 4 and 5 is the same but slightly to the right of the center of the house and on the front edge of the roof. Station 3, under the barrel at the center of the house, again right at the front edge of the house. Until I started focusing right on the front edge of the roof I was stuck at the 22 yard line. My handicap scores really took off.

Funny thing...at the 16 yard line this does not work at all for me.

14. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

No - this video by Leo. Its short - but good. Wish there were more like this on the Net to watch.

15. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Im no great shot,but Ive found it to my advantage to observe the direction of the bird the shooter to my left recieved.most times it will repeat in a fast moving round.
    other than that,a foot above the left corner for 1 and 2,middle house for 3, right corner 4 and 5.
    after im mounted up,ill roll up the eyes slighty up away from the rib and call.
    feet will start parallel at 1,and rotate slightly rightish every station until 5 where my feet will be pointing somewhat past 45 degrees to the back of the house
    in order to catch a hard right followthru.

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Download my gun holds from my above website.

WW

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"No straight aways from 1 and 5? Soft targets huh?"

320090t, according to the ATA rule of 17.x degrees off center line totaling 34.x degree angles says Matt is correct. To see a true straight away from 1 and 5, you must step in toward the center station about a yard to see a true straight away target. What may be soft for some, may be very hard for others? I'd say the current settings are soft when compared to 44 degree plus angles of old??

Where and what do you shoot that you'd call those settings "soft"? The settings mentioned above is the minimum angle allowed today, rule book wise.

I do know of one club in CA that shoots all their practice on the old 44 degree angles even today!That small club is also loaded with a lot of very competitive shooters when it comes state shoot time too!!

Hap

18. grntitan

Thanks Hap :)

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It looks like it is posted by the production company.

20. grntitan

BigM is right about the vid. It appears the Production Co. posted a few short clips of Leo's new vids to give people a taste. I'm sure its valuable adverstising and if i'm not mistaken, FREE.

If you look under the video where it says Uploaded by that is the production company that did his vids i.e. Sunrise Productions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.