1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you hold on the Trap house

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 870compman, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 870compman

870compman TS Member

I have been told holding a high gun lessens the gun movement which allows a person to be more accrate and break more targets. My problem is when I shoot a high gun at the 16 yard targets and the target goes out under my barrel I will miss because I loose sight of the target for that short peroid of time.

When I hold a low gun,(just at the top of the Trap house) I am able to better see the full flight of the target. I get better scores shooting a low gun.

Dale Wolff

2. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Hold where it works best for you.

There is not one perfect hold point for everyone.

3. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Listen to Phil Kiner -

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Dale:

I've been experimenting extensively with various hold points over the last few months. One important question is whether you are a one-eyed shooter, a two-eyed shooter (or a "1-1/2 eyed" shooter -- using tape or dots).

If you shoot strictly one-eyed, then you're right -- holding a high gun can be very difficult to get used to. But if you shoot with two-eyes, or with tape/dots, then all you need to do for a high gun is move your hold point 10-18" to the right on each post (assuming you're right-handed). That gets your barrel out of the way and gives your left eye a "preview" of where the target is headed. This is true even if you keep your eyes and soft focus above the barrel -- because your peripheral vision still sees the bird. A side-benefit of holding rightward, is that many right-handers can move left more smoothly and precisely than they move right. So "cheating right" helps you on those hard right angles without hurting you on the hard lefts.

Finally, experiment with everything, but settle on what works best for YOU. Do not marry yourself to what any one "Big Dog" shooter says, because many of them have sharply conflicting styles (Kiner and Campbell, for example, advocate extremely different vertical hold points). I made the mistake of marrying myself to Rudy Etchen's style for years. After all, who could disagree with anything Rudy Etchen said? The guy was a living legend. And yet the single most significant and immediate improvement in scores I've ever enjoyed came the weekend I completely abandoned Etchen's hold points and did the opposite. The point is, you have to do what works for YOU.

Good luck.

-Gary

5. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Ditto, Phil Kiner. There is nothing written in stone regarding hold points. What works best for you is simply what works for you. Let your scores be your guide on where to hold....cya

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ditto on what Phil said as well. Now remember what works for you now, may be fine tuned at a later date. So as your shooting improves so can your hold points, gun movements, stance, mental game. Well you get the picture. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Right on, Phil!.....I hold where Britt Robinson told me to...probably wouldn't work for anybody else...

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Since you asked "Where do you hold on the Trap House" I will answer.

I hold on the front edge. I want to see it as soon as possible.

9. DanLee

DanLee Member

I'm a two-eyed shooter. For 16 yard trap, I hold a foot or so above the house. For wobble, I hold at the base of the house because holding high means I'll never get down fast enough to get the skimmers.

Dan

10. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Where you hold, and how you hold, and where you look, and how you move, to where your looking, may eventually decide how far you get in this game. In my opinion.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Several factors help determine proper hold points. Target height, your guns impact and visibility enter into the picture. Sometimes it's best if you vary your hold points slightly until your break quality improves. Another day and all previous bets are off!!

12. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

In discussing hold points, every comment seems to deal with height above the house. Little has said about the horizontal position of the barrel relative to the house. Since ATA rules allow for various house sizes from left to right, except for position #3, shooters can't depend on the corners of the house for guidance.

How far left or right of center is your hold point.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Myself, I hold on the far edge of the roof, and if I'm on stand one I'll hold on the left edge. Center on center. Right on right.

For doubles, once I see a pair from each station, I'll hold way up for the first bird. I can get away with that since the flight path is predictable. This gives me more time for the second bird.

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Center of the roof on all stations, works for me.

John C. Saubak

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

That's why they call you "jackrabbit" John Saubak lol

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

could be??

They can call me whatever they want as long as they play the options....

17. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Had a Top Single, could not hold above the house because I never saw the birds come out. Got an Unsingle and now hold 1' above the house. Two different guns and both worked better with different holds. I like the high hold with the unsingle better, I now have a bit less movement and have quicker shots.

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It can change during a round.

Hap

19. 1atatime

1atatime TS Member

Diffrent traps throw different heights and wind can effect flights.

I try to hold about a quarter or third of the distance between the top of the trap and the height of the target. If the birds are high, the hold is higher than if they are flying low. If they are really low, I may hold below the front edge of the trap. If really high, perhaps a couple of feet above.

I think I got that from Frank Little about 25 years ago.

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

When shooting in low light conditions, I hold about 1 to 2 feet above the house. This really seems to help me pick up birds that I would normally struggle with in these conditions. I try to just move the gun horizontally. In normal daylight I hold in a lower position, but still above the house. This comes from a Campbell dvd. Bill Wheeler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rudy etchen

what is a high hold on trap house

where to hold gun o trap house

where to hold gun on top of trap house pictures

where to low gun on trap house video