1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

where do you focus eyes when calling for bird

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by puablo, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

just wondering where most shooters focus their eyes prior to calling for the target.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Soft focus beyond the house. Kind of like the 1k yard stare.

Eric

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I look at the front lip of the trap house in the area where the bird should emerge. By doing this, my eyes are focused for anything between 20 feet and infinity.

Pat Ireland

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I watch the birds come out of the house and determine where they become a whole and clear target instead of a streak. That is the point where I look in a soft focus. For me the soft focus is looking at that point but still paying attention which way the bird flies out of the house. Hope this helps.

Bill

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As another point of "focus" reference should include focusing one's brain along with the eyes. When I miss, it's usually because the eyes and brain did not work in unison!

But a soft focus in front of the trap house works for me....I observe the target, then obtain to a hard focus and then move the gun to the target.

Geez...that sounds simple..huh?

Curt - Delaware

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Soft focus somewhere out beyond the edge of the roof. All I know is that the edge is out of focus and the hills beyond are out of focus. I hope it is focused about 5yds beyond the house, but I have no way of knowing.

(Actually, my vision therapist tells me that you have to get many hundreds of yards away before human vision can be considered to be in infinite focus.)

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

At approx. the distance I expect to break the bird, and make my move as I identify the angle. As you age, you will see that the eyes will not adjust focus as quickly as they did when you were young. I like to practice breaking a bird as quickly as I can identify the angle but in reality, waiting just a bit longer to shoot usually results in better scores.

Big Jack

8. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I, like Big Jack, focus at the distance I expect to break the target. My eyes dont like to play catch-up to the bird and I prefer not to see any "streak". My peripheral vision is good enough to determine direction of bird and it doesnt require my eyes to be changing focus when following it.

9. Bustedemall

Bustedemall TS Member

I just hope I can focus them on something.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

code5coupe- If your optometrist did tell you that you have to look at something several hundred yards away for the ciliary muscles to be relaxed and the lens assume their thinest possible shape, I strongly suggest you consider another optometrist. Get one who understands what the term 20/20 vision means and why testing for infinite vision is done at 20 feet.

Pat Ireland

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I need to focus on some thing. So the edge of the trap house is it, unless there is something to focus on in line with were I want my eyes to focus and beyond the trap house roof edge.

I tried the soft focus beyond the trap house and got into the 1000 yard stare. My mind also went into soft focus mode and the targets would surprised me and I then just poked at it.

Jason

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

get unfocused on everything out there and look only for the bird. Worked 248/250 Saturday

13. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

PAT Ireland: Would you please email me your email address so I can ask you a somewhat lengthy msg about vision. Would appreciate it muchly.
    Guy Coates

14. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Now doing what Big Jack and Sublime are doing. Made a significant difference in the score. Must have something to do with aging eyes ability to stay on focus on a moving target. If I see em too quick will miss a few but will usually get a good clear picture of the bead.

15. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

One Sunday the SCTP coaches where working on a training aide to help new shooters have an IDEA of where to look or be looking to see the birds as clearly as possible.

I went out and lloked over everything, they even gave a broomstick to use as sighting plain.

Their GIMIC was a PVC frame about six foot high, and set 6.8 yards in front of the house, and almost as wide the 34. something degree angle, I worked with them for about thirty minutes.

will the next day, day one of the Spring Grand, I put a 99 on the board, before this my best effort was a 97. so where to I try to look for the bird?

About 4 feet over the house and 6 to 7 yards past it, when I get this right the birds look like dinner plates out there.

Al

16. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

i watch the girls, maby thats why my scores are in the toilet.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My focus is best descibed as the same for when im driving. Just a look a head and ready for any action. Looking at the house or leading edge or AT anything takes the focus off the target. I tend to let my eyes settle in the area of intended break point.

18. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Sometime ago a poster who was teaching a group of youngsters used the following example of what you need to focus on. He took a wooden board and with a hammer started the nail into the board. He then asked a youngster to drive the nail by looking at the hammer head as he drove towards the nail. Lots of misses. Then he asked the youngster to look at the nail not the hammer head when driving the hammer. Yup! It worked. Look for the clay not the bead.

Augie

19. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

This is a topic that Leo covers in some detail during his clinics. Knowing where to expect the target to emerge and where to "see" the target are key to breaking good scores. I've never known a target to come out of the front edge of a house, don't know why you would want to watch for it there, but if you narrow down the field on the back side, you will pick up the target sooner. Leo also talks about the importance of keeping your eyeballs STILL, a quiet eye sees better. All this and much more is covered in class....

20. welderman

welderman TS Member

I'm not sure I know what "soft focus" means. I focus my eyes intently on the area in space where the bird first appears, maybe a few yards past the house. Your eyes are not used to focussing on an empty point in space, but I believe that's what you should train them to do because it allows you to see the bird as early as possible. The sooner you see the bird, the sooner you can begin your calculations on what you need to do to break it. TomS (welderman)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.