1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do those AAHS baswads go?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I read different accounts of gun damage due to AAHS basewads. I have read a few times that folks have found AAHS basewads. I don't recollect that I ever read of a shooter finding a AAHS spent hull without a basewad. That seems odd to me.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

OK, This is the way I have put it together. First run of the new AA's HS did have a small problem with basewad. This was corrected in the first weeks of production. These hulls did get sold to the public. These hulls also never really posed a problem unless they were reloaded on a reloader that only held the hull in place to insert the primer from the outside. This could allow the basewad (inside) to rise up and let powder migrate under this base, only then could something force it out of the hull. If reloaded on a Mec where the primer tube pushes the inside of the hull down onto the primer this would keep it tight and "Not Allow Powder to Migrate Under Basewad" Since this short first run Winchester has fixed this problem and it has not problem for years. So unless you have some very old hulls you don't have to worry. There was a gun tech who's name I can't remember right now who tried to blow up a barrel in a controled test room. He tried wads, basewads, double powder charges and the barrel held together with no problems or bulges. So why do some barrels blow up and even when using factory ammo. Well I believe that after many firings the metal became weak from a small flaw and finally let go. Heat may add to this problem as well. There would be no way to tell unless barrels were x-rayed every few years. Even the late Pat Ireland a very respected shooter on this site reloaded only Win. AA hulls as he prefered them over the Rem's STS's. So if your reloading with a Mec (or another reloader that pushs the primer in from a tube inside the hull)don't even worry about it. I believe that you can get more reloads out of the new Win. HS hulls than the STS's, but that's my opinion. I know others here may agree to disagree. Lets see how many. Break-em all. Jeff

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What Jeff said.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Jeffrey:

You're such a disappointment. Everyone knows them hulls will kill you deader than a train.

What some folks don't understand is that they don't blow up every time. It's more like juggling rattlesnakes. You never know when one will go off on ya.

As clubhouse authorities everywhere know, only daredevils and those with a death wish mess with AAHS hulls. There's only one exception. A handful of us shoot AAHS's as a humanitarian service. We aren't bomb disposal experts but we DO occasionally stay at Holiday Inn Express.

sissy : )

5. pete1955

pete1955 TS Member

I just finished loading a 2000 of those older square box AAs that suppose to be the problem hulls. I loaded them 8 times on a mec and could have loaded them more. I checked my barrel as I always do anyway with no problems what so ever.

I was very curious so I took about 25 hulls I was going to trash and took them apart and it was very difficult to get the base wad out. Not sure but I think there is a lot of truth to the type of loader that was used on these hulls where the problems happened. I also have a friend that has loaded no telling how many thousands of them on a mec and never an issue. I like both sts and AAs and really have no favorite and they are both good hulls. I usually buy whatever hull I can find at a good deal.

I am certainly not saying there want some issue with them.

Pete

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I pushed up a half-dozen base wads loading the 1st generation 2 piece hulls on a P-W and found 2 other the best part of all the way up the hull after the hull was fired. I used them up with no incident while I was conditioning myself to check the barrel after each shot and the hull before each reload.

MK

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nowhere. HMB

8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Amazing how often this comes up, the subject is a hardy perennial.

I found a few with basewad forward about a quarter-inch in a target box of approx 500 once-fired. These were right after the new design came out, and the first reports of shifted basewads were reported here. To repeat, they'd never been reloaded. Must have been from the first production run.

Thereafter I checked every one for at least a year I think, don't remember exactly. Never found another. Never found a shifted basewad on one reloaded on my PW900 either. I stopped checking but only shoot them out of break guns. Probably an unnecessary precaution but there you are.

I wish now I'd saved them or at least taken some pictures.

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The guy who was doing the testing was Bruce Bowen, and Pat Ireland posted a picture of a AA with the basewad sticking out of the fired shell

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Unknown1, I feel slighted. I load mostly AA's on a PW and have never seen a loose basewad. Been loading the much maligned hulls since their debut. Many, many of the little red devils. I want my very own loose basewad.

I suspect that a hull with a loose basewad was never assembled properly at the time of manufacture and was always loose.

11. hillestadj

hillestadj TS Member

Funny with all the basewad concerns the little bastards still command $.03-.04 per hull. If anyones got some for free I'll take the risk :)

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Hillestadj, I love the fact that I can find them out at my club as some shooters will just leave them and only pick up the Rem's. So I don't have to pay for them and if I do they are normally cheaper than the Rem's. I laugh all the way to the bank,so to speak. Recoil Sissy, I think you need a bigger paddle to stir up the pot!!!. Toolmaker25l, Thank You for remembering Bruce Bowen as the gentleman of whom I forgot. Load Safe and don't forget to Break-em all. Jeff

13. psfive

psfive Member

My only concern is the AAHS hulls leave a smallhole in the crimp. I know, I have done all the starter crimp and final crimp lowering and raising to no avail. I can't seem to get them to close up. The Remington hulls (STS, Gun Club and black Game Load)all close the crimp and look perfect. As far as the number of loadings per hull compairsion well that all depends on lots of things like how hot you load is or what powder you use ect. Oh yes and if the guy bought them from and said they were once fired or if he lied to you. That guy would be no one here on TS.com. Paul in Nebraska.

14. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Please post a picture of a AAHS. Thx

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The hole in the crimp can be eliminated with adjustment but if the shot stays in, the heck with it. I'm convinced it's the low density polyethylene the hulls are made of that causes the problem for reloaders.

As far as hull life, the primer holes in the AAHS hulls start to leak for me at the 4th reload at which point I pitch them. They leave rings around my firing pin so I know they're throwing crud into my action.

MK

16. leadvail

leadvail Member

Here you go Bill,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That cut open hull doesn't look like any AA I've ever seen. HMB

18. leadvail

leadvail Member

here, ck out for yourself. BOB

http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/aa/target-loads/Pages/AA127.aspx

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Those pictures don't make any sense. Look at the middle photo, it says on the shell, 3-1 1/8 - 7 1/2, and under it says "light". 3 dram 1 1/8 oz load ain't light. HMB

20. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Thx Leadvail>>>>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.