1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do most shooters set there POI?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I hear people say their gun shoots 50/50 60/40 70/30 and such.. I have always shot a flat shooting citori hunting gun, I will soon own a CG unsingle with alot of adjustment.. I am of average height and build if that means anything.. before I waste a bunch of shells I would like to set the poi on paper and go from there. is 60/40 what I need? thanks!

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I don't no what 60/40 means to you but I would set it at 3" high at 13 yards to start.

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Some where between 60/40 and 70/30 is a great place to set it up, IMO.

I pray this doesnt start the inches vs. percentage BS. Just answer the mans question and dont be an a$$. Any odds on that?

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

one in a hundred. I'll see to that . . .

Neil

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Mark425 you already lost.

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

thanks guys! this is what I wanted to know..!!

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you're used to shooting a "flat shooting Citori hunting gun" .....60/40 would be a good place to start.

John C. Saubak

8. glenns

glenns Member

Here it goes:

Please define 3" high at 13 yards.

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Got mine set about 8 inches high.

Jimmy

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

It all depends on how high you like the bird over the barrel. My gun shoots 9 to 10 inches high at 35 yards, which puts a quarter inch of air space between the bird and my front sight. With most Field guns you have to cover the target. Seems like 60-40 guns, you can touch the bottom of the bird with the front sight. IMO. Wayne

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

glenns.... 3" high at 13 yards would be 9" high at about 40 yards. To convert that, 9" high at 40 yards means your shooting an 80/20 POI.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You adjust until you are smoking the targets at what ever distance you intend to shoot. What ever the impact point is on paper is meaningless because you are holding and firing the gun completely differently. (sighting Vs pointing)

The best way to accomplish this zeroing of your shotgun is to lock the trap in to throw straight away targets and start shooting them from the 16. Make comb adjustments up until you start chipping the tops off the targets then adjust down until you are chipping the bottoms off. Split the difference and fine tune from there.

13. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Make it shoot where you are looking.

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

you'll know what the correct poi is by watching your birds break. You will know when your stock is set right because it will feel just right to you.
    Steve Balistreri

15. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Blkcloud,I probably do it all wrong but this is what works for me and I find pretty easy. I am on my third gun with adjustable comb and rib, the latest being a Guerini top single. I like the bird to be just on the top of the rib/bead..

First I set the comb for a comfortable and consistent cheek weld with my eyes centered down the rib. Then I crank the rib all the way up and start shooting targets, usually for several rounds before I make any additional adjustments. In the Guerini's case I found I was driving a lot of birds up, shooting underneath. Being happy with my cheek position I then dropped the rib 2 notch's and then shot the gun for several more weeks, I was now getting a lot of smoke balls an have pretty much not touched it since. It worked well enough to get me a couple wins in the first couple months I had the gun.

Where I differ from a lot of shooters is I don't care what the beads look like, the only time I use them is to make sure I am not canting the gun,when I shoot my eyes are focused on the bird, I only care about how I'm breaking the bird striving for good solid hits. I have never patterned the gun, could not tell you for sure what percentage it is, if I had to guess I would say it's around 70/30, lot of downward adjustment still available on the rib.

JohnR

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Don't want to start a ballistics argument. Seems to me there needs to be a correction factor for gravity in the 13 yd POI times 3 process.

Gravity is not just a good idea, It's a law.

Jimmy

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Don't forget that your correct POI has to do with how fast you shoot the bird or how far you let it travel before the trigger is pulled.

18. capt kirk

capt kirk TS Member

Wayneo,
    i know were talking scatterguns so theres a little room for error to get in the center of your pattern, but if you can consistenly put a quarter inch between your bead and the bird, your a hell of a lot better than me.....

19. turmite

turmite Member

"Make it shoot where you are looking."

Mr Woolsey I have both heard this statement and read it other than here, and I understand what is meant. I do however have a question as to how to achieve it.

One illustration I have seen of this shows a piece of cardboard with poa showing several different shots poi! If this is done on cardboard would a person not be aiming the shotgun rather that looking at the intended poi?

How is "shooting where you are looking" achieved in the real world?

Honest question too!

Mike

20. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Turmite, In order to achieve the results of getting it to shoot where I am looking, I first went to the pattern board and shot 3 shells using the sight and aiming at a spot. It was shooting 50/50 spot was center of pattern. I made sure my right to left was correct then went to raising the comb, actually Harlan Campbell Jr. did the comb adjusting. I was at a clinic of his a couple of years ago. I use the sights to check for cant only, then look up over the barrel eye on target and let the internal computer tell me when to let it go. I just kept raising till it was obvious that it was too much, went back down till we got smoke. If I look at the target only it breaks, 16 or 25yd line. If I bead check, I hear that awful 4 letter word (LOST) In my case it worked out to be about 100% high, which probably has not much to do with anything but my timing. This is probably not the best explanation of how to, but it's what I did to accomplish it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.