1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do I start to learn the mechanics?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

I am having a great time learning to shoot trap. While I have learned to shoot respectably one think I have not learned is anything about the actual shotgun.

I am not terribly mechanically inclined but would still like to learn about the mechanics of the shotgun. At the least the name and function of the parts. Any suggestions on best way to do this? Maybe a particular book that would help someone learn the basics?

I'm not looking to become a gunsmith but when someone mentions mechanical vs inertia (or just about any other particular part for that matter) it would be nice to have an idea of what they are talking about.

thanks
    chuck

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

What kind of shotgun do you have and do you have the manual that comes with the shotgun when it is sold new? That would be the first place to read and learn the basics of yours or really any shotgun ... the manual.

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Chuck, there is nothing like experience. Get someone to show you how to take apart your own gun.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Most manuals are for 10 year olds!

Get some repair manuals. Take the stock off your firearm and examine the trigger system as you work it. Most of these systems, especially the Browning and Beretta, are long in the tooth and have a simple system, once you see it.

While the stock is off, clean the firearm, while making sure trigger pins and such (safety retaining pins on Cynergy) do not fall out.

It may help with your confidence, not only knowing the target is going to breask, but that the hammer WILL hit the firing pin and the gun WILL go bang! Also, if you have a Browning, you will see why you must completely release the trigger to get a second shot. ;^)

5. starship

starship TS Member

I currently have a Browning 425 O/U that I shoot skeet and sporting clays.
    I recently purchased a DeHaan U4T O/U for trap shooting.

The manual for the Browning shows me how to put the barrels on the stock with the forend. It shows how to insert choke tubes and that's just about it. I'd really like to learn more about the actual workings of the dang thing and some of the differences between guns. i.e. inertia vs mechanical. How does a release trigger work vs a pull trigger.

Kind of like, I know my car needs a fuel pump (I even know where it is and how to change it) but now I want to know why and how it works.

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Chucky Baby! All you need know how to do is load it, close it, and shoot it! Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.