1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where did you learn to shoot trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hunter870, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter870

hunter870 Member

I started out at White Oak Gun Club in Irwin, Pa. The first round was summer of 1962. (I was 8). Still got the White Oak membership and the hunter safety patches from around then.

I didn't break many...Later when I was 12, I got to shoot league shoots at Shaner and Pitcairn. We bought some of the reloading compenents at Esmans Sporting Goods....wonder if it's still around.

We went to White Oak a lot when I was growing up. I remember when they built their skeet field, my brother and I split the first round we ever shot..I shot the singles and let him shoot the doubles...:)

I saw they have a website online, so I guess the place is still there and doing well.

How 'bout you folks? Where did this all start for you?

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I never did and still haven't!!

Mike

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

In a small private club in northern California in 1954. A great bunch of people helped me and I miss them a lot as most are gone now.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I learned, at age 12, by shooting live pigeons at the Madrid Gun Club, in Madrid, Spain in the late 1950's. Shot both trap and live birds. My dad was stationed at Torrejon AFB, in Madrid. We used to go shooting as often as we could in those days. Returned to the USA and didn't start shooting trap again until the late 1970's at the Weaverville Trap Club, in Weaverville, Ca. at the old Cliff Arbuckle ranch. Shot turkey shoots at Cedar Stock Resort, on Trinity Lake, etc. Moved to Redding in the early 1980's and started shooting registered targets there for many years before moving to Eureka, CA. Now shoot out of the Eel River Trap Club in Fortuna, CA. Trap shooting has been one of the most pleasureable things I have enjoyed in my lifetime. Great sport, greater people, and, all in all, great fun....Just my experience.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Still learning.

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Lethbridge (Alberta) Trap Club....1977....was woring in a gunshop and the owner kept hounding me to try trapshooting?....I didn't know what it was...so I went out and tried it...with a CZ BRNO 12ga SXS sidelock...only shotgun I owned....got hooked, started "upgrading" my shootin' irons....you know how the rest of the story goes...

7. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

High School gun club, Nappanee IN in 1976. The days when you could still take your gun to school with you.

Steve

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I learned shooting sports of the hunting vareity,

I shot clay targets off and on for the last thirty years.

Most of what I have truly learned about trap is from the inside of the house setting birds on the arm.

For the last four years I have been more into learning the game, and I have some knowledge of to start with and have learned more, but have I learned TRAP SHOOTING?

NO, that is a work that is still and maybe always in progress!

AL

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The St. Paul Rod & Gun Club in Minnesota in 1961. We joined a league and I was high man on our team the first nite with 11 out of 25.

10. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Im still learning.............

Forrest

11. jeff rasmussen

jeff rasmussen TS Member

learned at the Lansing Sportsman Club in Lansing Il in 1958

Jeff Rasmussen

12. steevo

steevo TS Member

Shot my first gun at I think age 10 or 11. Skeet with my uncle. Shot three shots and ended up hitting the machine instead of the bird! He said "well, thats enough for today." So, when I turned 13 I took the Hunter Safety Course at my high school and got my FID (I'm in MA) and joined Georgetown Fish and Game. Had my neighbor buy my first shotgun for me. After that it has been trap all the way. Im almost forty now and I have been trapshooting since 13. Steve

13. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Otter Creek Sportsmans Club Cedar Rapids, Iowa early 70's

14. Chipshot

Chipshot TS Member

I taught myself at the Camp Hansen range in Okinawa in 1985. My low average shows that I taught myself!

Bob M.

15. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Berrien County Sportsman's Club, Berrien Springs, MI, late 1970s. Thanks to my neighbor Jess Bowman. I'd love to get the chance to go shoot with him again - maybe next year.

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Camp Wolfboro, Boy Scouts, CA Sierra Nevadas, broke 2 of 3 shots with a winchester rifle and .22 shot shells. Later, Martinez Gun Club, E of the SF/Oak. Bay Area, and 34 years after that still not sure I've "learned."....Bob Dodd

17. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Dave(mx8dave), Where do you live now? E-mail me if you feel like it.

18. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

My first time ever was at the Remington Gun Club in Lordship (Stratford), CT
    in 1980 about a month before my 14th birthday. The club has been gone for 20 yrs now. I was fortunate enough to have a father who was a pilot for Remington Arms and a firm second amendment believer teach me early on.

That first round of trap was with an 1100 LT-20. I broke the first bird out of the house and was so ecstatic from that, I think I missed about the next ten or so before I broke another and my final score was six out of twenty five.
    I had shot .22 rifle since I was nine and air rifles since age seven.

My first shotgun was a Remington 870 Wingmaster my father bought for me on my 14th birthday. I still have that shotgun and it has fewer rounds through it than my 1100s do. My first round with that gun, I broke nine out of 25. And having just started high school, I put shooting on the back burner for a while

We went pheasant hunting in Milbrook, NY that fall and I only got one pheasant out of six, so we decided I needed more practice and my dad started taking me
    to Lordship every weekend. By May of 1981, I had broken my first 25 straight
    with that 870 and three weeks later in June of 1981 not only won my first Junior championship at the CT State Shoot at Lordship, I also took D-class resident with a 191x200. I went on to break 99x100 with the 870 soon after.

Then - my dad bought me my first Remington 1100, it was my 15th birthday present. The 870 soon was retired except for an occasional round once every year or so as a back up gun. I worked my way to my first 100 straight and was
    punched to the 26-1/2 yard line by the end of my first Grand American in August that year.

It took me another sixteen years to get that next half yard! I wore through two 1100 receivers and cracked one barrel along the way.

Now I'm 40, still shoot 1100s and my first 870. I don't have my dad (he passed away a year ago) and I don't have the Remington Gun Club - gone over 20 years now. If it weren't for both - I probably would be a one gun, casual shooter still shooting an 870 for one pheasant and one round of trap per year.

Instead, I try to introduce new shooters every year - just did so this past weekend with a family friend; got my wife into trapshooting and occasionally coach a few State Representatives from CT in trap and fight tooth and nail for gun rights.

Thanks again, to my dad and Remington Gun Club; I really miss both!

19. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Chicagoland Gun Club, Lombard, Illinois in the late 60's. Started with Skeet and switched to trap.

20. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Logan County Fish & Game, Bellefontaine, Ohio and Indian Lake Fish & Game, Russells Point, Ohio. This was about 1970 or 1971. Both clubs still in operation and doing well. Started with a field grade 20 ga. model 12 then moved up to my Dad's Sportsman 51, (kicked like a mule.) Then Dad bought my neighbor's 870TC for $125.....boy, those were the days...

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.