1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where did the Stimulus $$ Go?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Damifino, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damifino

Damifino Member

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I looked on that sight.. I keep seeing "affordable housing" for renters.. Here in New Orleans.. that means building new projects for "section 8's".. welfare housing or new breeding camps for the unemployable.. What does it mean in your state???

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

More for hussein supporters,,,,what do you expect from a PORKULUS program!!!!

4. Damifino

Damifino Member

Yes. Exactly. Buying provisions for government cheese programs (presumably) does nothing to help the economy and infrastructure.

Drudge is all over this. We (taxpayers) apparently bought 760,000 pounds of ham for about $1.50 per pound. He links the Food Lion supermarket that has it for $0.79/lb. HA! Guess we get a deal when we buy in bulk.

These are the same folks that are going to add a bureaucracy to increase the efficiency of health care. What a joke.

5. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

I actually saw where some stimulis money is going. As I have passed through highway constrution projects there are signs stating that the project is part of the "recovery act". BS, these projects were scheduled years in advance and are not the product of any stimulis package. However, the guy making the signs and the crew putting them up are probably getting their money from the trillion dollar wasteful spending.
    Sure to see a few signs along the Interstate on my way to the Grand.
    See ya soon.
    CA

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I am still waiting for the government to stimulate my shooting by providing me with free shells. The one thing I ask from the government and they are failing me.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think we all got PORKED.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

As soon as he gets healthcare for the 12,000,000 illegal alien voters, as stated in his bill, it's all over. See you in the boxcars.

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I think your 12 million figure is very low. I can't go into a convenience store in any city in this country without seeing several people that only speak spanish. Even our chinese restaurants are now staffed by Mexican cooks.

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it went to bail out state governments that had over spent their own budgets. so much for stimulating any economy.

12. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The Democrats aren't going to trot that money out before it can enhance their election campaigns for 2010.

Robert

13. kenf

kenf Active Member

Pennsylvania spent $60,000 on 30 Highway signs indicating the project was funded by stimulus money. The $60K came from the stimulus.

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here's where it went. This is from THE WASHINGTON POST, you know, the bunch that ran NIXON out of Washington D.C..

"The Squandered Stimulus

By Robert J. Samuelson - Washington Post

Monday, July 20, 2009

It's not surprising that the much-ballyhooed "economic stimulus" hasn't done much stimulating. President Obama and his aides argue that it's too early to expect startling results. They have a point. A $14 trillion economy won't revive in a nanosecond. But the defects of the $787 billion package go deeper and won't be cured by time. [HERE IS THE TRUTH ABOUT THE STIMULUS]: The program crafted by Obama and the Democratic Congress wasn't engineered to maximize its economic impact. It was mostly a political exercise, designed to claim credit for any recovery, shower benefits on favored constituencies and signal support for fashionable causes.

As a result, much of the stimulus's potential benefit has been squandered. Spending increases and tax cuts are sprinkled in too many places and, all too often, are too delayed to do much good now. Nor do they concentrate on reviving the economy's most depressed sectors: state and local governments; the housing and auto industries. None of this means the stimulus won't help or precludes a recovery, but the help will be weaker than necessary.

How much is hard to determine. By year-end 2010, the package will result in 2.5 million jobs, predicts Mark Zandi of Moody's Economy.com. But as Zandi notes, all estimates are crude. They involve comparing economic simulations with and without the provisions of the stimulus. The economic models must make assumptions about how fast consumers spend tax cuts, how quickly construction projects begin and much more.

Depending on the assumptions, the results vary. When the Congressional Budget Office made job estimates, it presented a range of 1.2 million to 3.6 million by year-end 2010. Whatever the actual figures, they won't soon mean an increase in overall employment. They will merely limit job losses. Since late 2007, those have totaled 6.5 million, and there are probably more to come.

On humanitarian grounds, hardly anyone should object to parts of the stimulus package: longer and (slightly) higher unemployment benefits; subsidies for job losers to extend their health insurance; expanded food stamps. Obama was politically obligated to enact a campaign proposal providing tax cuts to most workers -- up to $400 for individuals and $800 for married couples. But beyond these basics, the stimulus plan became an orgy of politically appealing spending increases and tax breaks.

More than 50 million retirees and veterans got $250 checks (cost: $14 billion). Businesses received liberalized depreciation allowances ($5 billion). Health-care information technology was promoted ($19 billion). High-speed rail was encouraged ($8 billion). Whatever the virtues of these programs, the effects are diluted and delayed. The CBO estimated that nearly 30 percent of the economic effects would occur after 2010. Ignored was any concerted effort to improve consumer and business confidence by resuscitating the most distressed economic sectors.

Vehicle sales are running 35 percent behind year-earlier levels; frightened consumers recoil from big-ticket purchases. Falling house prices deter home buying. Why buy today if the price will be lower tomorrow? States suffer from steep drops in tax revenue and face legal requirements to balance their budgets. This means raising taxes or cutting spending -- precisely the wrong steps in a severe slump. Yet the stimulus package barely addressed these problems.

To promote car sales and home buying, Congress could have provided temporary but generous tax breaks. It didn't. The housing tax credit applied to a fraction of first-time buyers; the car tax break permitted federal tax deductions for state sales and excise taxes on vehicle purchases. The effects are trivial. The recently signed "cash for clunkers" tax credit is similarly stunted; Macroeconomic Advisers estimates it might advance a mere 130,000 vehicle sales. States fared better. They received $135 billion in largely unfettered funds. But even with this money, economists at Goldman Sachs estimate that states face up to a $100 billion budget gap in the next year. Already, 28 states have increased taxes and 40 have reduced spending, reports the Office of Management and Budget.

There are growing demands for another Obama "stimulus" on the grounds that the first was too small. Wrong. The problem with the first stimulus was more its composition than its size. With budget deficits for 2009 and 2010 estimated by the CBO at $1.8 trillion and $1.4 trillion (respectively, 13 and 9.9 percent of gross domestic product), it's hard to argue they're too tiny. Obama and congressional Democrats sacrificed real economic stimulus to promote parochial political interests. Any new "stimulus" should be financed by culling some of the old.

Here, as elsewhere, there's a gap between Obama's high-minded rhetoric and his performance. In February, Obama denounced "politics as usual" in constructing the stimulus. But that's what we got, and Obama likes the result. Interviewed recently by ABC's Jake Tapper, he was asked whether he would change anything. Obama seemed to invoke a doctrine of presidential infallibility. "There's nothing that we would have done differently," he said."

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

"Interviewed recently by ABC's Jake Tapper, he was asked whether he would change anything. Obama seemed to invoke a doctrine of presidential infallibility. "There's nothing that we would have done differently," he said.""

How dare you question me,,,,don't you realize that I am the answer to EVERYTHING????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.