1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where did my shot go?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by zebah, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zebah

zebah TS Member

While at the range I have heard a few people mention that I was just behind or above the target. When I miss I have no idea of how close I was. How do these people know where my shot was in relation to the target? If I knew where my shot was going it would be much easier to correct for my next shot.

Carl

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Carl Bottom line is they DON,T KNOW . If I had a dollar for every time one guy said you shot over that one and other guy said hay you shot under it .

Find some one YOU trust and have him stand and look . Only listen to him .
    I really think most people shoot under targets but thats just me .

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"How do these people know where my shot was in relation to the target?"
    My bet is that they haven't got a clue but want to impress anyone who will listen with their apparent expertise.

Most of the expert shot watchers at my club think they can tell where the shot string goes by watching the wad. I like to confound them by shooting Estate shells with the 2-piece wads, and after one of the pieces does an overhead loop and lands behind me, I ask them where THAT shot string went.

Usually no answer.

Morgan

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

A lot of times in Anchorage we shoot in the dark - since we only get about 6 hours of daylight in the winter!

The field lights often allow you to see the shot string in relation to the target.

And sometimes with new shooters, they are so far off that you can just tell by standing there that they never caught up to the target. Or where way over it.

Besides, knowing WHERE you were is really only about 20% of the battle. It's knowing how to correct, or being able to tell the shooter WHY he was behind that bird. Shoot it faster or slower is not really a helpful piece of advice from a coach...

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Carl, be careful who you listen to. When I first started shooting trap I had two different guys come up to me right after a round for a little bit of well meaning advice. The first one told me that I shot behind it, way behind it. He left, the second one came up and told me I was shooting in front of the target, way in front of it. I still do not know who was right, but obviously one of them was wrong. Found out later they had both been shooting a very short time and wanted to be experts. My best advice, if you think you may be a little behind them, increase your lead, if that doesn't work, try it the other way.

BTW, if you see me at the club, I will tell you I really can't tell where you are shooting if I am not standing right behind you looking over your shoulder, and maybe not then.

Mike

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Some people can acutally see the shot string if the back ground is right.

I would ask if they saw the shot string or are guessing from the wad and/or the gun barrel if they are standing behind you. The wad sometimes will follow the shot cloud and sometimes not.

Jason

7. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

If behind and watching you, it's easy to tell if you are stopping your swing resulting in being behind. Lifting your head before the shot has left the barrel, etc. On a good humid day, or under the lights you can sometimes see the shot string, which would allow for a pretty good assesment of what is going on. All too often the input received can be just guessing as to what happened. A good clinic by a top shooter is the ideal learning tool. Good luck and good shooting.

8. ken a

ken a Member

Some of the shooter with good eyes can see the shot cloud briefly. Most see the wad direction and make the call. Years ago I used tracers and thought they were of benefit, other disagree. If someone could come up with a visible shot they could make a fortune.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Ken a,

All you have to do is wash the graphite off the shot before you load it. At night under some descent lights you can't believe how bright the shot string gets.

To all you naysayers about seeing the shot string, I can at night see it without any problems if I'm standing to one side.

ec90t

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Having pulled for squads since I've been about 15 yrs. old (I'm 51 now) it IS possible in certain circumstances to see a "shadow" of shot string to give an indication of where the shooter is shooting. It looks like a very quick shadow passing by the target. You have to be in the right spot at the right time. (very subjective).

On the issue of giving advice as to where the person is shooting or what they are doing wrong, don't give it unless asked. Unwanted advice is unneeded or unnecessary. JMHO

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Just watch the way your targets break. You'll get a very good idea where you shooting.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is possible, at times to see the shot cloud. But, it is nearly impossible to correctly see the relationship between the shot cloud and the target unless you are standing directly behind the shooter.

Watching how a target breaks can be very deceptive. It is possible to break a piece off the top of the target and push the remaining part of the target down by hitting the target with the top fringe of the pattern. A shot that is a bit low can easily result in the remaining large piece of the target going down.

Pat Ireland

13. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Watching target breaks is a "big help" if you MISS!
    Most experienced shooters can at least tell if you are ahead/behind the target IF they are standing directly behind you and are watching carefully.

Wads are usless as indicators, since they trail the shot column by several yards out at the target AND they never maintain a straight flight path.

14. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Here is one if anyone has seen this . I was shooting on the golf side of the Silver Dollar during the Dixie Grand. I think I was on station four and one of the other shooters on station 2 to my left shot and broke the target, I actually saw the shot string smash the bird. Has anyone else seen anything like that or was it just my imagination. It looked like a grey/black cloud about 2 feet long. It was the first time I had ever seen anything like that.

15. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

My number one rule: smile and say thank you for any unsolicited advice; accept it at your peril.

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You might want to try juding where your shot went by the birds you do hit, it may help a bit. Are you pushing the bird to one side when you hit it? Are you chipping the target or or blowing the center out of it all will give you some indicaiton of where your shooting when you miss. Do you see an unbroken bird have dust come off of it? That indicates shooting over it but not by much

17. zebah

zebah TS Member

Useually people tell me I was behind or on top of the target based on when I shot. I tend to wait too long to shoot. I also have a real problem with stopping my swing before I shoot. I'm most likely behind the tartget when I miss. I had been in a real bad slump. I noticed I was lifting my head before calling for the target.

Thanks for all of the great advice. There is no lack of unsolicited advice at the range. I'm learning to concider the source before I make any changes. I have also noticed some very unconventional styles that seem to work for some people.... but that is a whole other topic.

Thanks!

Carl

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

MrkSLC- If I dust the bottom of a target, how can you tell if the shot came from the top,bottom,left or right of the pattern fringe?

Pat Ireland

19. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Some people can see the shotstring and some can't. Some say they can and can't. Trying to make a call based on where the wad went or where you thought the gun was pointing is rediculous. Night or day I can see the shot sometimes, but sometimes I can't. I do know and have known people that can see every shot no matter where they are standing and have proved it to my satisfaction.

Buz

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The only time I see a wad go or apear to go any where near the shot string is when I load soft shooting TGT12 rounds 1200fps or less.??? Is there a way to film this. Would a digital video camera work? I would really like to know some of my misses! I have times when I miss and do not know why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why did i miss all my trap shots