1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where did all my shooting friends go?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I live in the MIlwaukee Wisconsin area. When I first started shooting, this area was what I would call a trapshooting paradise. Within 30 minutes of Milwaukee we had six clubs that we could possibly shoot at.

Then the Milwaukee gun club was closed because a couple public officials did not like the idea of some people shooting guns and enjoying themselves on the Lake Michigan lake front. The land that this same club stood on is now weed infested and usually not used except for the occasional drug deal transaction.

There was a time when I knew a lot of fellow shooters at each club. Nowadays, I will walk into a club and I am lucky to know anyone their. Most of my fellow shooting buddies have either passed away, or no longer have the desire to shoot due to the high cost of ammo, or they have decided to give up trap and now shoot sporting clays and or 5 stand.

When I first started shooting, trap was where it was at, and skeet shooters were in the minority. At annual meetings the trapshooters ruled the roost, and we dictated how the club was run. Now when I think about it, we did not treat the skeet shooters with the proper respect due them. Our attitude was, if you don't like shooting here, go shoot somewhere else, as at that time, trap shooting brought in most of the revenue at our club.

With the advent of sporting clays, we saw trapshooters leave our sport and take up sporting clays. Virtually the skeet fields go unused today area area clubs, compared to years ago. In my area, there is about one or two clubs that have people running the club with any amount of customer service skills.

Most of the clubs don't even say hello when a shooter enters. I wonder why this is the way it is in this day and age? Even when you go to the area mall you will have people waiting on you with the look of contempt on their faces.

If any of you run a gun club, customers would like to be treated better than the way a pimple faced teenager treats us when we go to the local mall to return a cheap pair of socks. I personally would love to try a round of sporting clays but I don't have the right type of equipment. Who knows, offer a shooter to try a round with the right type of equipment and who knows you just might get a new shooter that will like to shoot at your club rather than visit and suck up all the free air.

Does your club have customer service type individuals running the club, or just the typical person who collects your money and smiles maybe one time per decade?

Steve Balistreri

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Our club (San Diego Shotgun Sports) was one of the best places on earth to shoot. Everyone was welcome with open arms, and they did not cater to any particular version of shotgun shooter. They all had equal voice.

Take note I said "had". San Diego Shotgun Sports was officially closed by the Marines on March 31st, 2011 (Last week). There hasn't been any shooting there is over 2 years. So be glad you have a club where you can partake.

Kevin

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Kevin:
    So sorry to hear that it was closed. Where do you shoot now, and how far away is it?
    Steve

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Steve:

Sorry, but I had to run all your friends off.

I did so for the following completely legitimate reasons:

A) I didn't like the way they turned leaving Post 5. It is extremely important that people turn their bodies precisely the way I want them to turn.

B) They shot semi-automatics and their hulls hit my Perazzi so hard my barrel was caved-in. This has actually happened several times -- I swear.

C) They are younger than me, and appeared to be having excessive fun. I'm old and angry so young people having fun without first stopping to kiss my ass always infuriates me.

D) They had cheap shotguns and outshot me, and yet did not seem interested in my unsolicited sage advice.

E) I had a sneaky suspicion that they have sex with women regularly, and I haven't gotten laid in 15 years.

Hopefully you now understand why I felt it necessary to drive them out of our trap club and over to Sporting Clays.

-Gary

5. rustygun

rustygun Member

That's funny, don't care who you are.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

That's stupid, don't care who you are.

Don

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Steve,
    What's happened in Wisconsin has happened all over. I shot at Northbrook for years and it was mostly a trap club. Now it's mainly sporting clays just like all the clubs in southern Wisconsin: Wern Valley, Milford Hills, and even your club.
    I shoot sporting clays but there are two things I don't like about it.
    One is that you're often forced to ride a golf cart. The other is that you spend the whole day on the course with your squad and don't get to socialize with the other people at the club.
    However, saying you don't have the right equipment is silly. There is no "right equipment." You can shoot it with anything -even a trap gun with full chokes -and there's shooters that do.

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Steve,

I currently shoot recreational shooting only (no ATA) at Project 2000 (P2K Range) and Lemon Grove Rod and Gun club. Since San Diego Shotgun Sports closed, there is no ATA in San Diego any more. There aren't any ranges that would get certified to shoot ATA.

We have to drive a 2 hour drive each way to either Redlands or Triple B in the LA area if we want to shoot ATA. Needless to say, it gets old real fast if you have to do that every month. The guys that I shoot with have just given up shooting ATA. It's really sad.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Steve, Drive down here to the Chicago burbs and shoot with us at Maywood Sportsmans club in Elmhurst. It's private and the trap counter is run by memebers lots of nice people around. Would be fun to meet you and shoot some trap with you.

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Gary; I thought it was very funny too. Bill H.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Thanks, but I'm not trying to be funny. I'm simply trying to help save the sport of Trapshooting for those of us who invented it. If we aren't vigilant, and we just let young people come strutting into our clubs and having fun, the next thing you know they are going to be enjoying it more than us. Plus, in a decade or two when we're dead, these young punks will become the big dogs and be running OUR clubs!

For the sake of our beloved sport and its future, we must band together to keep the young people out!

-Gary

12. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

"But at my back I always hear

Time's winged chariot hurrying near;" -Andrew Marvell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.