1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Where can I get a tool to remove an 870 stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mag410, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mag410

mag410 Member

The "tool" for the 870 is a large flat blade screw driver. Wrap some tape around the shaft of the screw driver so it stays centered in the stock bolt hole.

Older 1100's have a slotted nut that screws onto the recoil spring tube. A large large flat blade screw driver will work, but there is a tool for the 1100 which works much better, it is a socket with a screw drive blade inside the socket.

Newer 1100 and 1187's use an 11/16" hex socket.

Michael
  2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

If memory serves me correctly, we used to use a standard tire iron from the trunk of any old car. John
  3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Ditto on the tire iron.
    Works like a champ
    JK
  4. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Brownells

Regards from Iowa

Gene
  5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I use a 1/2 in flat wood bit with the sharp edges ground off. Find one with a 1/4 in hex on the other end, and a 1/4 in socket and it'll work like a charm. The point on the bit will fit in the hole on the nut and keep the blade from slipping around. good uck

Bob
  6. shrek

shrek Member

brownells makes nice sockets with the flat blade inside them for both the 1100 and the 870.
  7. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

If it's the first time the stock has ever been removed, rap on the screwdriver with a hammer a couple of times. It'll help.

Ron
  8. senior smoke

senior smoke Active Member

I normally purchase threaded rod from a hardware store and place a lock nut on the rod. I then use a ratchet wrench to remove and tighten the stock.

I had a friend who made a T handle wrench with a long tube that fit over the stock bolt with a flat blade inside the tube. This set up worked fantastic.
    Steve Balistreri
  9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just be careful. There is a reason you want that stock tool to stay centered. I have seen the side of a a stock busted out from not having the right tool and not having it centered. You have been warned.

This said, I use a long handled large cabinet makers screwdriver with a piece of pipe over the stock bolt head to keep it centered. The pipe also allows for easier alignment with the stock bolt slot.
  10. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

Another ditto on the tire iron. But first things first, get a good light and some specs(if you need them) and take a look in the bolt hoe to make sure of what you are trying to undo. Take a lot of mystery out of the equation.
  11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

You'll want to get one of these from Brownell'a...

[​IMG]
  12. Gabe

Gabe Member

That looks like the tool used to remove the nut from the forend hardware on an 870, not a stock wrench.
  13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

Sorry...got forend removal on the brain here...for 870 butt stock removal I went to my auto parts store and bought the longest large flat blade screwdriver they had. Works great for slotted stock blots.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.