1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the Youth Programs?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter44, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

With all the whining about where the Grand should be located, where the HOF should be located, etc. I began to wonder just what part of the country really promotes youth programs the most........that's the future, not the past.......Very few of us really care about the past.

2. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

There were 1088 youth shooters there on preliminary weekend. That's pretty good promotion.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

There is a number of youth programs.

I post articles that I come across at this link:

http://www.losttarget.com/#JR

By the way, I was very impressed last winter with the support that I saw given from numerous clubs in Florida in regard to youth shooters; SCTP, AIM, 4H and The Boy Scouts.

4. hunter44

I know there is a lot of support here in the mid western states but I haven't heard much about 4-H, FFA, or other youth teams from the east coast. What is the youth movement in the east & west? At our club we have as many young league shooters as older ones, how about your area?

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

How do the AIM numbers compare with the SCTP trap numbers?

6. hunter44

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

8. mmonique

mmonique TS Member

Believe it or not here in Massachusetts we have a very successful AIM program and a very popular SCTP program. Over a third of the shooters at this year's MASS State Shoot were youth. The number of clubs throwing registered targets has doubled in the last two years as a result of clubs forming AIM and SCTP teams. My own club ran 6 Big 50s and two traditional shoots to support our AIM program this season.

MM

9. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

Our club holds a youth field day every year but I don't find much promotion of shooting under 14-15 years old.

10. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

We have a huge youth presence in Tennessee in both SCTP and AIM.

The TWF runs the SCTP program which has been very successful over the years. The championship was relocated from Nashville to Montgomery County Shooting Complex due to cost.

Chuck Terry started the AIM program in Tennessee last year and I believe registered the most number of registered shooters in the US. He did a fantastic job, but stepped down due to personal reasons. Chuck is a true gentleman that made a big difference. The AIM championship is held in Nashville right before the Tennessee State shoot.

Our problem has been assimilating these youth back into ATA since our state shoot numbers continue to decline. Our youth shoot for a few years before they turn 18 and then leave the sport.

TNCoach

11. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

Our club holds a youth field day every year but I don't find much promotion of shooting under 14-15 years old. Nothing for my 10 yr old daughter. I'm trying to start a youth league for 8-12 year olds. Im in Northeast PA.

12. mmonique

mmonique TS Member

Hey even if they don't return to registered trap shooting we have left them with a positive firearms experience and as they become the leaders of tomorrow hopefully they remain progun for the rest of their lives.

MM

13. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Yep we have a great turnout here in Tennessee.. I think after they turn 18 most cant afford to shot like they did when in school..

14. roger8918

roger8918 Member

According to the SCTP website, they had 1123 kids shoot in the SCTP Trap Championships this year.

15. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

blkcloud,

It's not that they can't afford to shoot. They don't get involved for the same reason that people are leaving the ATA right now.

1) bad targets - I heard one local person recently tell me that they "go through every machine and canterbury once a year whether it needs it or not."

2) clubs don't start the shoot on time and it takes all day for 5 shooters to shoot 3 events.

3) overpriced fees with no trophies etc

4) lack of hospitality - I've seen it mentioned before on this forum that some clubs or club members can ruin a shoot.

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

16. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

We're working pretty hard to get new shooters in our 4-H club. Our club isn't just shotgun though. We also have archery, pistol, and rifle shooting. The kids usually have a great time and most of the parents really appreciate the emphasis we put on safety. We are having an invitational next weekend at Waco skeet and Trap where we are having teams (one youth and one adult) trying to get more youth shooting and more adults involved in our club. I'm also looking at the AIM program for my son this year. In the spring of the year, a 4-H'er can go do a different shoot at least two weekends of every month. I think it's great to see a huge pile of kids and parents getting ready for a shoot, but I definitely would love to see more. Check out our website above to see some of what we're doing.

17. turmite

turmite Member

The largest youth program in the nation is run by the Arkansas Game and Fish. It is called the AYSSP....Arkansas Youth Shooting Sports Program. In the first 4 years, we have already had two students accepted by USA Shooting and many of our students participate in Aim. I do not know about SCTP.

Last year ending this past July, we had approximately 4500 students and 350-400 coaches. Many of the teams are affilated with the local school district, but do not necessarily have to be.

This program has been so successful that USA Shooting has set up an Olympic Trial shoot here in Arkansas. Several other states have also shown interest in replicating the program. Let's hope they do.

Mike

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Roger Beardsley runs a really nice program in Jefferson, PA. It's near the Maryland border, so he gets some gets from that state to participate as well. There are some really good shooters coming out of that effort.

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Mark Biggins also runs a program at Prince Georges Trap and Skeet range where kids get trap lessons for free on Saturday mornings, provided that they pass the safety course first. The club provides the shells, rental guns, and instruction...the kids just have to show up.

20. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Last year there was over 1700 Jr. High and High School shooters at the 3 day Cornhusker shoot in Nebraska.

Two of my boys are on the high school team.
    Shooting and football, that's what you'll find here in Nebraska.

I believe the primary reason that there are not more youth programs is cost.

I was asked just the other day from one of my boys friend's parent about getting their Son involved. They wanted to know the cost.

Well after two years of being involved with the program I certainly know the cost:
    This is what I told the parent.

Practice and Season:
    1) Shells- 15 weeks of practice @50 shells, plus 6 shoots @100, plus 200 shells for the State shoot= 1550 @ $5.50 per box-$341.00
    2) Gun- (used Remington 870)- $300.00
    3) Gear- (vest, glasses, ear plugs ect...) $100.00
    4) Shooting Fees- $250.00
    5) Lodging and meals for State shoot- $150
    Total cost to get started- $1,141
    Total cost for season 2- $741.00

I think I heard the boy's parent fall off their chair and grab their chest.

Frankly as everyone here knows Trap shooting is not a cheap sport and when you have multiple kids involved it certainly takes a major financial commitment from the parent.

For me, I reload, but my boys guns cost a lot more than $300 and their gear is a lot more that $100 each.
    There's just no way of getting around the cost.

Blueraven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.